2015 NFL Draft: Running backs return to respectability

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

2015 NFL Draft: Running backs return to respectability

Post by Mothman »

This is a long overview of some of the running backs and TEs in this draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ectability
Welcome to the return of the running back to a position of respect in the National Football League. After disappointing results from three first round runners in 2012, teams passed on that position in the first round of the past two drafts.

But Georgia's Todd Gurley, injury and all, and Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon figure to be first-round picks when the 2015 NFL Draft begins in Chicago April 30.

According to ratings by NFLDraftScout.com, as many as eight running backs are worthy of consideration in the first two rounds.

There is little doubt that teams have been reluctant to take running backs in round one after watching the 2012 draft's first-round picks -- Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and David Wilson -- return little value.

Some pointed to their demise as the key to backs being devalued, evidenced by no runners being selected in the first round in each of the last two drafts.

But the importance of backs remains obvious in the game, with the Seattle Seahawks going to consecutive Super Bowls behind the Beast Mode of running back Marshawn Lynch. His value is so respected that coach Pete Carroll will never hear the end of arguments that the Seahawks should have run Lynch from the one yard line in the final moments of the Super Bowl, rather than throw what became a game-deciding interception.
There's much more at the link. It's definitely worth reading.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2015 NFL Draft: Running backs return to respectability

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:This is a long overview of some of the running backs and TEs in this draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ectability
There's much more at the link. It's definitely worth reading.
My prediction is that only Gurley will go in the 1st round, probably in the 20s.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

i think gurley is the wildcard in this draft. i think a team like atlanta might even call his name in the top ten, or he could be a guy teams fight to trade up for.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:My prediction is that only Gurley will go in the 1st round, probably in the 20s.
Interesting. I still think Gordon will go in R1, possibly even ahead of Gurley (whose injury really does make him a bit of a wildcard, as Jay said).

I'm still pretty high on Coleman. I think he could be a steal for someone, especially if he lasts into the late second or early third round.

Jim
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Interesting. I still think Gordon will go in R1, possibly even ahead of Gurley (whose injury really does make him a bit of a wildcard, as Jay said).

I'm still pretty high on Coleman. I think he could be a steal for someone, especially if he lasts into the late second or early third round.

Jim
I think Gordon is pretty close with that group of solid RBs in this draft. I think it would certainly be an error to draft him in the first half of the first round when a comparable or superior player will be there with the second or third round pick.

In other words...
a) I don't think particularly highly of Gordon
b) there is a lot of solid RB depth which will help push RBs out of the first round again.
c) Gurley is the only back who really stands above the rest.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I think Gordon is pretty close with that group of solid RBs in this draft. I think it would certainly be an error to draft him in the first half of the first round when a comparable or superior player will be there with the second or third round pick.
Are we talking about the first round or the first half of the first round? I don;t know if Gordon will go in the top 15 but I do think he'll go in the first round.
In other words...
a) I don't think particularly highly of Gordon
b) there is a lot of solid RB depth which will help push RBs out of the first round again.
c) Gurley is the only back who really stands above the rest.
I think the difference is that Gordon offers the immediate help Gurley probably doesn't... and without the specter of a serious injury hanging over his head.

I understand your points above (point B could be particularly relevant) and I imagine team assessments of Gordon will be mixed but I also think there will probably be a team that puts a first round value on him and drafts him there.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From Matt Vensel at the Star Tribune:

NFL draft position breakdown: Running backs
The Vikings plan on having Adrian Peterson back in their backfield in 2015, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing their homework on this deep and talented class of running backs, one about which General Manager Rick Spielman has been raving.
Which back is that? Any idea?
Level of need: Low, unless they end up dealing Peterson. With Peterson, McKinnon and Asiata on the depth chart, along with Joe Banyard and Henry Josey, the Vikings have a diverse and competent group of runners. But if there is a back in this class that they absolutely love, they would and should consider drafting him.

Five prospects to remember: Boise State RB Jay Ajayi, Minnesota RB David Cobb, Northern Iowa RB David Johnson, Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon, South Dakota State FB/RB Zach Zenner.

Our best guess: The Vikings will stick to their guns and keep Peterson around for at least one more season. So they won’t be players for Gurley or Gordon unless one or both are still on the board in the second round — which seems unlikely. But coach Mike Zimmer wants a team that can run the rock, so don’t be surprised when the Vikings draft another running back, perhaps as early as the third round.