2015 draft class: RBs

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting analysis of this year's class in regards to SPARQ scores. Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah produced the best SPARQ score of any RB in the 2015 NFL Draft. Abdullah posted a score of 142.5, which places him in the 95.6 percentile of NFL players. SPARQ is a formula that factors in each Combine/pro day test along with weight. Northern Iowa's David Johnson was second with a score of 139.7, placing him in the 93.1 percentile. Both were well ahead of their peers.

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/03/15/pos ... ning-back/

Then, for fun, read this about McKinnon (whose score is crazy): http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... thleticism
Jerick McKinnon, RB, Minnesota, 147.5 pSPARQ

Name HT WT AL 40 10 SS 3C BP VJ BJ pSPARQ simScore
Jerick McKinnon 5.72 209 30.25 4.37 1.52 4.12 6.83 34 40.5 11.00 147.5 N/A

No other running back has an athletic profile similar (i.e., over 80) to that of Jerick McKinnon. Backs with McKinnon’s speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don’t exist. He’s truly unique.

He’s also a freak. An average NFL skill position player will ring in at around a 110 pSPARQ, a good athlete at 120, and very good at 130. Elite is about 140, and the 150+ range is reserved for Calvin Johnson, Vernon Davis, and a select few others. McKinnon’s 147.5 is one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.

An option quarterback at Georgia Southern, there’s certainly a fair amount for McKinnon to learn at the NFL level to become a running back. The transition isn’t guaranteed. But out of 1000+ RBs, my database shows that only 56 have recorded a sub-4.4 40-yard-dash at either the combine or their pro day. The top 6 pSPARQs from those 56 are: Willis McGahee (tests taken pre-ACL), Chris Johnson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Reggie Bush and Jerick McKinnon. When you’re the kind of freak McKinnon is, you tend to do pretty well in the NFL.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Re: 2015 draft class: RBs

Post by Mercy Percy »

This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mercy Percy wrote:This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9
Because he hasn't proved that he can yet. He was injured during his first year after 113 attempts. One injury in one season doesn't mean a whole lot, but it makes some people more skeptical of his durability than others.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Cliff wrote: Because he hasn't proved that he can yet. He was injured during his first year after 113 attempts. One injury in one season doesn't mean a whole lot, but it makes some people more skeptical of his durability than others.
Wasn't it a weight room injury though? Should that count against his durability the same as a football injury? If I recall correctly didn't the Vikes just switch to a free weight based program, I recall a thread here debating the difference between free weights and machines. One thing I remember that someone said free weights can cause more injuries during training.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Free weights hit more muscles and require more balance, but machines are safer. That's what I learned in High School, anyways.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

nightowl wrote: Wasn't it a weight room injury though? Should that count against his durability the same as a football injury? If I recall correctly didn't the Vikes just switch to a free weight based program, I recall a thread here debating the difference between free weights and machines. One thing I remember that someone said free weights can cause more injuries during training.
I don't count it against him very harshly personally but I was saying that is why some are worried about his durability.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.
That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.
True. From that perspective it makes sense, even if it wasn't sustained on the field, it could have repercussions (though I'm not sure if whatever injury it was has a history of "flaring up" or if those that have the injury repaired typically don't experience any additional issues). Marshawn Lynch has been dealing with back issues for years (though you can hardly tell on the field).
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Cliff wrote: That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Futures: Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah
Like the 2008 class, there will be a lot of analysts comparing Abdullah's size, strength, and speed to his peers in the same class, but it only matters when determining where these players will be drafted. When it comes to NFL readiness, peer comparison within the draft class isn't as meaningful as if those skills translate to the NFL.

The 2008 running back class had 27 runners drafted by teams, and 11 of those backs had at least one productive season as a starter -- including Peyton Hillis, Tim Hightower, and Steve Slaton. Tashard Choice, Ryan Torain, and Justin Forsett were NFL-caliber backups.

If the 2015 class even approaches the talent level of the 2008 group, Abdullah could get lost in the mix because he's not a special athlete at first glance. However, don't count him out as a potential long-term starter in the NFL, because true football players who transcend the position are hard to find.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... r-abdullah
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

DK Sweets wrote:Free weights hit more muscles and require more balance, but machines are safer. That's what I learned in High School, anyways.
Last year our new conditioning coach switched to free weights. Both Fusco and Loadholt tear their pectoral muscle. Coincidence?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Last year our new conditioning coach switched to free weights. Both Fusco and Loadholt tear their pectoral muscle. Coincidence?
I hadn't thought about that. It's definitely something interesting to watch moving forward, but I think it's too soon to draw any conclusions.