View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:41 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 2015 draft class: RBs 
Author Message
Online
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23081
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post 2015 draft class: RBs
Interesting analysis of this year's class in regards to SPARQ scores. Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah produced the best SPARQ score of any RB in the 2015 NFL Draft. Abdullah posted a score of 142.5, which places him in the 95.6 percentile of NFL players. SPARQ is a formula that factors in each Combine/pro day test along with weight. Northern Iowa's David Johnson was second with a score of 139.7, placing him in the 93.1 percentile. Both were well ahead of their peers.

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/03/15/pos ... ning-back/

Image

Then, for fun, read this about McKinnon (whose score is crazy): http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... thleticism

Quote:
Jerick McKinnon, RB, Minnesota, 147.5 pSPARQ

Name HT WT AL 40 10 SS 3C BP VJ BJ pSPARQ simScore
Jerick McKinnon 5.72 209 30.25 4.37 1.52 4.12 6.83 34 40.5 11.00 147.5 N/A

No other running back has an athletic profile similar (i.e., over 80) to that of Jerick McKinnon. Backs with McKinnon’s speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don’t exist. He’s truly unique.

He’s also a freak. An average NFL skill position player will ring in at around a 110 pSPARQ, a good athlete at 120, and very good at 130. Elite is about 140, and the 150+ range is reserved for Calvin Johnson, Vernon Davis, and a select few others. McKinnon’s 147.5 is one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.

An option quarterback at Georgia Southern, there’s certainly a fair amount for McKinnon to learn at the NFL level to become a running back. The transition isn’t guaranteed. But out of 1000+ RBs, my database shows that only 56 have recorded a sub-4.4 40-yard-dash at either the combine or their pro day. The top 6 pSPARQs from those 56 are: Willis McGahee (tests taken pre-ACL), Chris Johnson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Reggie Bush and Jerick McKinnon. When you’re the kind of freak McKinnon is, you tend to do pretty well in the NFL.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 465
Location: St.Francis Minnesota
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9

_________________
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.


Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Mercy Percy wrote:
This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9


Because he hasn't proved that he can yet. He was injured during his first year after 113 attempts. One injury in one season doesn't mean a whole lot, but it makes some people more skeptical of his durability than others.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 am
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:57 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: Melbourne,Fl
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Cliff wrote:
Mercy Percy wrote:
This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9


Because he hasn't proved that he can yet. He was injured during his first year after 113 attempts. One injury in one season doesn't mean a whole lot, but it makes some people more skeptical of his durability than others.


Wasn't it a weight room injury though? Should that count against his durability the same as a football injury? If I recall correctly didn't the Vikes just switch to a free weight based program, I recall a thread here debating the difference between free weights and machines. One thing I remember that someone said free weights can cause more injuries during training.


Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:13 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2799
Location: Missouri
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Free weights hit more muscles and require more balance, but machines are safer. That's what I learned in High School, anyways.

_________________
Image


Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
nightowl wrote:
Cliff wrote:
Mercy Percy wrote:
This is awesome. I really like Mckinnon and think he can be a good RB in this league, Idk why people are saying he cant carry the load, hes extremely athletic I think his a lot bigger than most people think. Mckinnon is near 220 lbs... AD is also around 220 its just that Jerrick is 5'9


Because he hasn't proved that he can yet. He was injured during his first year after 113 attempts. One injury in one season doesn't mean a whole lot, but it makes some people more skeptical of his durability than others.


Wasn't it a weight room injury though? Should that count against his durability the same as a football injury? If I recall correctly didn't the Vikes just switch to a free weight based program, I recall a thread here debating the difference between free weights and machines. One thing I remember that someone said free weights can cause more injuries during training.


I don't count it against him very harshly personally but I was saying that is why some are worried about his durability.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 am
Profile
Online
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23081
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
dead_poet wrote:
I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.


That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:48 am
Profile
Online
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23081
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Cliff wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.


That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.


True. From that perspective it makes sense, even if it wasn't sustained on the field, it could have repercussions (though I'm not sure if whatever injury it was has a history of "flaring up" or if those that have the injury repaired typically don't experience any additional issues). Marshawn Lynch has been dealing with back issues for years (though you can hardly tell on the field).

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:02 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7955
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Cliff wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
I don't count it against him at all. This wasn't a "heat of battle" on-field injury and from my research I haven't found any previous college injury (despite playing heavy snaps in a multitude of roles.). Until he starts missing practice or games due to on-field injuries I'm chalking this up to meatheading out or spotter error at the gym. He has the bulk to handle 20 carries/game IMO.


That's why I don't weigh it very heavily ... but still, the guy had to have back surgery. I know it wasn't major, but you never know if that's the kind of thing that will flair back up.


Image

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 am
Profile
Online
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23081
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
Futures: Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah

Quote:
Like the 2008 class, there will be a lot of analysts comparing Abdullah's size, strength, and speed to his peers in the same class, but it only matters when determining where these players will be drafted. When it comes to NFL readiness, peer comparison within the draft class isn't as meaningful as if those skills translate to the NFL.

The 2008 running back class had 27 runners drafted by teams, and 11 of those backs had at least one productive season as a starter -- including Peyton Hillis, Tim Hightower, and Steve Slaton. Tashard Choice, Ryan Torain, and Justin Forsett were NFL-caliber backups.

If the 2015 class even approaches the talent level of the 2008 group, Abdullah could get lost in the mix because he's not a special athlete at first glance. However, don't count him out as a potential long-term starter in the NFL, because true football players who transcend the position are hard to find.


http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... r-abdullah

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:15 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:17 pm
Posts: 399
Post Re: 2015 draft class: RBs
DK Sweets wrote:
Free weights hit more muscles and require more balance, but machines are safer. That's what I learned in High School, anyways.


Last year our new conditioning coach switched to free weights. Both Fusco and Loadholt tear their pectoral muscle. Coincidence?


Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:22 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2799
Location: Missouri
Post 2015 draft class: RBs
Pseudo Everything wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:
Free weights hit more muscles and require more balance, but machines are safer. That's what I learned in High School, anyways.


Last year our new conditioning coach switched to free weights. Both Fusco and Loadholt tear their pectoral muscle. Coincidence?
I hadn't thought about that. It's definitely something interesting to watch moving forward, but I think it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.