Pro Days/Visits

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Pro Days/Visits

Post by dead_poet »

@LRiddickESPN Well... I guess that settles that for CB Byron Jones. Workouts confirming what he showed on tape in fall. 1st day pick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CB JONES IMPRESSIVE WITH ZIM RUNNING DRILLS
Connecticut cornerback Byron Jones held a unique pro day Tuesday. He had Mike Zimmer running his drills and offering advice while Jones improved his draft stock.
http://min.scout.com/story/1533444-cb-j ... um=twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Don't fall in love with an athlete is the usual conventional wisdom around draft time. However, I think one exception can be made for Byron Jones.

One has to wonder what this means for Minnesota. Do they like Jones enough to draft him at 11? That would be reach based upon value, but Jones could effectively go in the top 15 of this draft. One thing this for certain, Minnesota is going to draft a corner in the first or second round. Whether it be Waynes, Jones, or Peters.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

For Jim
@Rand_Getlin A few of the teams A.J. Cann is set to visit and/or workout for: #Ravens, #Saints, #Vikings and #Bucs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:For Jim
Cool! I'm glad the Vikes are showing interest in him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TonyPauline Interesting note from South Carolina pro-day- guard AJ Cann doing a lot of work at offensive center.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Shaq Thompson - LB - Huskies

Washington OLB Shaq Thompson has visited, worked out for, or is scheduled to work out for the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles.

"Thompson, the reigning Paul Hornung Award winner as the most versatile player in the country, showed off his all-around game [at UW's pro day], showing impressive agility and speed in linebacker and defensive back drills," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang. "There is still plenty of debate as to where the six foot, 228 pounder fits in best in the NFL but it won't be at running back. He was asked to work out at that position Thursday but declined. Thompson spent last night dining with San Diego Chargers linebackers coach Mike Nolan and is going out tonight with members of the Carolina Panthers." Not surprisingly, the prospect stood on his combine numbers. Thompson's 4.64 forty and 33 bench reps at the combine were good for a linebacker.
Source: CBS Sports
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Randy Gregory - DL - Cornhuskers

Nebraska edge rusher Randy Gregory will visit the Vikings after his Tuesday trip to the Jaguars, according to Rand Getlin.

Gregory is part of the large contingent visiting Jacksonville on Tuesday. The edge rusher's projection is very difficult to predict. For one, he is a unique prospect on the field from a frame perspective. In the past, that has made some teams uncertain. Second, Gregory failed a Combine drug test and admitted to marijuana issues in the past. The combination of these factors could keep Gregory on the board longer than his talent warrants.
Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@DWolfsonKSTP The #Vikings are hosting a number of draft prospects tonight for a dinner, interviews, etc. One new name: Norfolk St. DE Lynden Trail.
@DWolfsonKSTP Northern Iowa RB David Johnson also in with the #Vikings today, I hear. Again, they're hosting a bunch of guys through tomorrow morning.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@RapSheet The #Viking are doing evaluations of first-round LBs: Getting visits from #TCU’s Paul Dawson and Miss. St.’s Benardrick McKinney (today).
@DWolfsonKSTP Maxx Williams & Trae Waynes part of this huge #Vikings visit the next 24 hrs, I hear. Had previously reported they'd be visiting eventually.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Top_ ... sits040715
Here's a list of pre-draft visits we've confirmed or reported elsewhere so far:

- Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes

- Oklahoma receiver Dorial Green-Beckham

- Texas Christian linebacker Paul Dawson

- Mississippi State linebacker Benardrick McKinney

- Northern Iowa running back David Johnson

- Washington cornerback Marcus Peters

- Arizona State defensive tackle Marcus Hardison

- Louisville receiver DeVante Parker

- Indiana defensive end Bobby Richardson

- Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory

- Norfolk defensive end Lynden Trail

- Minnesota tight end Maxx Williams
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Top_ ... sits040715
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7 24h24 hours ago
Reasons NFL Teams bring in Draft Prospects:
1. Get to know better
2. Medical/Character/IQ Concern
3. Recruit if undrafted
4. Subterfuge
In 2012 we did not bring in Harrison Smith for one of our allotted 30 visits but we moved up to take him in the first round. He was clearly on our target list.

Never really sure whether these official pre-draft visits are a reflection of interest or making others believe we are interested.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Pseudo Everything wrote: In 2012 we did not bring in Harrison Smith for one of our allotted 30 visits but we moved up to take him in the first round. He was clearly on our target list.

Never really sure whether these official pre-draft visits are a reflection of interest or making others believe we are interested.
Cleveland picks right behind us again in this draft. There could be all kinds of subterfuge going prior to this draft. :thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Another big DE. RT @TonyPauline: Preston Smith/DE/Mississippi State in Minnesota today for a visit with the Vikings...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lynden Trail - LB - Spartans

Norfolk State EDGE/TE Lynden Trail visited the Vikings and is traveling to the Dolphins on Thursday, according to Aaron Wilson.

Trail is an intriguing prospect from a frame perspective, measuring 6'7/270 lbs but testing like an average athlete. Teams will try him at end, linebacker and Trail even took snaps at tight end during Senior Bowl week.
Source: National Football Post
44crm
Backup

Post by 44crm »

It would be interesting to see how many players over say the last 4 yeas, the Vikings have drafted that actually had a winter park visit. Did we bring Barr or Bridgewater in last year for a visit? I though we brought Bridgewater in for a visit after his pro day, but I could be wrong.