Annual Vikings Message Board User Mock Draft Thread - 2015

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Annual Vikings Message Board User Mock Draft Thread - 2015

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Last edited by HardcoreVikesFan on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Annual Vikings Message Board User Mock Draft Thread - 20

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/35645

Here is my post-big wave free agency mock draft update.

Feel free to post your own mock draft in this thread!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/35645

Here is my post-big wave free agency mock draft update.

Feel free to post your own mock draft in this thread!
I could certainly see it going that way (and would be really happy) but I also feel like the Bears are going receiver, which would change things up quite a bit for the Vikings. I'm also not sold that White has passed Cooper and will be first off the board.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: I could certainly see it going that way (and would be really happy) but I also feel like the Bears are going receiver, which would change things up quite a bit for the Vikings. I'm also not sold that White has passed Cooper and will be first off the board.
Thank you for the reading and feedback!

It is too up in the air right now, but I don't see Chicago taking a WR at seven - especially if an edge rusher or Danny Shelton is available.

Minnesota would be foolish to pass on Cooper for anyone not named Leonard Williams if he falls to pick 11.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/36858

New mock draft that I wrote today. I would welcome any feedback/comments/concerns.

I am still holding out hope that the rest of you guys will post your mock drafts in this thread!
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/36858

New mock draft that I wrote today. I would welcome any feedback/comments/concerns.

I am still holding out hope that the rest of you guys will post your mock drafts in this thread!
I'll put together a mock eventually, I've just been waiting to be motivated and for things to settle a bit before I do.

Yours looks pretty good. Can't say I'd be thrilled to see Gurley go to Detroit or Shelton to Chicago. The picks make sense, I just don't like seeing the enemy come away with beasts like that. :mrgreen:

I don't think Tennessee will take Mariota though. They may trade it to someone who will, but I don't think the Titan's would/will if they stay at two. I think they'd opt for Leonard Williams and try to develop Mettenberger.

I like having the Raiders go defense, even though it's Williams who I'm not sure will be there. I've thought for a while that they could be the team to pull the first surprise of this years draft and go defense. Almost every Mock has them going WR, or Williams if he falls. I think they could go for Shelton or one of the pass rushers over the WR. They just hired Del Rio as their coach so I imagine he wants to pump up that defense, and the WR crop is very deep this year so they can still grab a high profile WR in the early 2nd.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

nightowl wrote: I'll put together a mock eventually, I've just been waiting to be motivated and for things to settle a bit before I do.

Yours looks pretty good. Can't say I'd be thrilled to see Gurley go to Detroit or Shelton to Chicago. The picks make sense, I just don't like seeing the enemy come away with beasts like that. :mrgreen:

I don't think Tennessee will take Mariota though. They may trade it to someone who will, but I don't think the Titan's would/will if they stay at two. I think they'd opt for Leonard Williams and try to develop Mettenberger.

I like having the Raiders go defense, even though it's Williams who I'm not sure will be there. I've thought for a while that they could be the team to pull the first surprise of this years draft and go defense. Almost every Mock has them going WR, or Williams if he falls. I think they could go for Shelton or one of the pass rushers over the WR. They just hired Del Rio as their coach so I imagine he wants to pump up that defense, and the WR crop is very deep this year so they can still grab a high profile WR in the early 2nd.

If the Titans think Mariota is a franchise guy, you HAVE to take him. The majority of successful NFL QBs are high picks. What if the Titans are mediocre for the next 5 years and are picking in the 8-18 range? It's really tough to get a franchise guy in that range. You end up taking Jake Locker. When picking at the top of the draft, you HAVE to take a QB if the value is remotely close. It could be 10 years before you get the chance again.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/36858

While I would love if Cooper fell to us, I don't think it's very likely. He just doesn't strike me as the type of prospect that will fall. He is a high ceiling, high floor guy. Maybe one of the top 2-3 guys when it comes to combining high potential and low risk. He's not likely to be a polarizing figure, teams probably have him ranked on similar spots on their board, probably between 4-8. I think it's much more likely that Kevin White falls. White is much more of a boom/bust prospect that teams might shy away from.

I think the media might be overrating this year's passrushing crop a bit. Not so much with regards to their talent level, but with their potential fit. So many of these guys are in the mold of a 3-4 rush LB, but teams like the Vikings doesn't seem like a great fit for a 245 lb pass rusher. Then again, I thought Barr was a 3-4 OlB and I questioned the fit, and he worked out fine. I just don't think this crop of passrushers is a great fit for all the teams in the top 15. That being said, I'm guessing the BPA when we pick will be a passrusher, in which case we should trade down. I don't think Sherff or Waynes will be available.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As far as the top ten goes, this is the hardest year I have ever had trying to figure out what exactly will happen. Something tells me that Tennessee will either trade the #2 overall pick or they will take Marcus Mariota themselves.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/43224

Roughly 6 days and 24 minutes remain until the draft begins! Here is a mock draft I just wrote up. I haven't done one for a couple of weeks. I would appreciate any feedback. Also, I would appreciate it if the rest of the board posted their own mock drafts in this thread.

Thank you everyone.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.

As far as the top ten goes, this is the hardest year I have ever had trying to figure out what exactly will happen. Something tells me that Tennessee will either trade the #2 overall pick or they will take Marcus Mariota themselves.
I've been fiddling around for about 2 weeks trying to put a mock together, but that's what's made it so difficult. I think when you boil it down, there's 3 true elite prospects, Williams, Cooper and Gurley, then a bunch of at best "really nice" prospects. Neither of the QB's are true Andrew Luck style elite prospects, they're just the best of what's there. There's no Jonathon Ogden, Champ Bailey or Julius Peppers here either. Just a bunch of guys you'll be happy with.

A couple of ramblings before I post my mock;
I wouldn't be surprised if Waynes is not the first CB taken. I've seen alot of grumblings about his change of direction ability. I wonder if Kevin Johnson or Marcus Peters could sneak past him and be the first off the board.

I think Mariota goes 2 but only if it's a trade, which I believe is going to happen. If Tennessee gets stuck there I think they go for Leonard Williams. In my mock to be posted I have him next to Tennessee's name but that's only because I can't figure out who's going to be making the pick. I've went back and forth between the Jets, Browns, Chargers and Eagles. I even wondered if Tennessee could trade the 2 to San Diego for Rivers and 17, then flip 17 to Minnesota for Peterson.

I think Gurley goes top 10, and to a place I don't think anyone else has him going.

I think Andreas Peat is the first OL taken in a bit of a surprise. Given that he's a true OT, I think he'll get the nod over Collins and Scherff.

I have a few surprises so here it goes:

1 – Bucs – Winston, Jameis, QB, Florida St.
2 – Titans - Mariota, Marcus, QB, Oregon
3 – Jaguars– Fowler. Jr, Date, DE/OLB, Florida
4 – Raiders – Wiliams, Leonard, DL, USC
5 – Washington – Beasley, Vic, OLB/EDGE, Clemson
6 – Jets – Cooper, Amari, WR, Alabama
7 – Bears – Shelton, Danny, DT ,Washington
8 – Falcons – Dupree, Bud, EDGE, Kentucky
9 – Giants – Gurley, Todd, RB, Georgia (as far as I know I haven't seen Gurley mocked to them at all, I think Gurley goes somewhere between 8-10)
10 – Rams – Peat, Andreas, OT, Stanford
11 – Vikings – White, Kevin, WR, West Virginia (not endorsing, just a gut feeling if he's there he's the pick)
12 – Browns – Parker, Devante, WR, Louisville
13 – Saints – Collins, La’el, OL, LSU
14 – Dolphins – Waynes, Trae, CB, Michigan St.
15 – 49ers – Scherff, Brandon, OL, Iowa
16 – Texans – Perriman, Breshad, WR, UCF
17 – Chargers – Gordon III, Melvin, RB, Wisconsin
18 – Chiefs – Johnson, Kevin, CB, Wake Forest
19 – Browns – Armstead, Arik, DL, Oregon
20 – Eagles – Dorsett, Phillip, WR, Miami
21 – Bengals – Peters, Marcus, CB, Washington
22 – Steelers – Ray, Shane, EDGE, Missouri ( rumored foot injury drops him into their lap)
23 – Lions – Brown, Malcom, DT, Texas
24 – Cardinals – Kendricks, Eric, LB, UCLA
25 – Panthers – Flowers, Ereck, OT, Miami
26 – Ravens – Humphries, D.J, OT, Florida
27 – Cowboys – Jones, Byron, CB, Connecticut
28 – Broncos – Clemmings, T.J. OT, Pittsburgh
29 – Colts – Harold, Eli, OLB, Virginia
30 – Packers – Gregory, Randy, EDGE, Nebraska (not sure about this one, but the Packers typically go PBA and Gregory here fits the bill)
31 – Saints – Agholor, Nelson, WR, USC
32 – Patriots – Goldman, Eddie, DL, Florida St.

Alright, Have at it. :v):
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

nightowl wrote: I've been fiddling around for about 2 weeks trying to put a mock together, but that's what's made it so difficult. I think when you boil it down, there's 3 true elite prospects, Williams, Cooper and Gurley, then a bunch of at best "really nice" prospects. Neither of the QB's are true Andrew Luck style elite prospects, they're just the best of what's there. There's no Jonathon Ogden, Champ Bailey or Julius Peppers here either. Just a bunch of guys you'll be happy with.

A couple of ramblings before I post my mock;
I wouldn't be surprised if Waynes is not the first CB taken. I've seen alot of grumblings about his change of direction ability. I wonder if Kevin Johnson or Marcus Peters could sneak past him and be the first off the board.

I think Mariota goes 2 but only if it's a trade, which I believe is going to happen. If Tennessee gets stuck there I think they go for Leonard Williams. In my mock to be posted I have him next to Tennessee's name but that's only because I can't figure out who's going to be making the pick. I've went back and forth between the Jets, Browns, Chargers and Eagles. I even wondered if Tennessee could trade the 2 to San Diego for Rivers and 17, then flip 17 to Minnesota for Peterson.

I think Gurley goes top 10, and to a place I don't think anyone else has him going.

I think Andreas Peat is the first OL taken in a bit of a surprise. Given that he's a true OT, I think he'll get the nod over Collins and Scherff.

I have a few surprises so here it goes:

1 – Bucs – Winston, Jameis, QB, Florida St.
2 – Titans - Mariota, Marcus, QB, Oregon
3 – Jaguars– Fowler. Jr, Date, DE/OLB, Florida
4 – Raiders – Wiliams, Leonard, DL, USC
5 – Washington – Beasley, Vic, OLB/EDGE, Clemson
6 – Jets – Cooper, Amari, WR, Alabama
7 – Bears – Shelton, Danny, DT ,Washington
8 – Falcons – Dupree, Bud, EDGE, Kentucky
9 – Giants – Gurley, Todd, RB, Georgia (as far as I know I haven't seen Gurley mocked to them at all, I think Gurley goes somewhere between 8-10)
10 – Rams – Peat, Andreas, OT, Stanford
11 – Vikings – White, Kevin, WR, West Virginia (not endorsing, just a gut feeling if he's there he's the pick)
12 – Browns – Parker, Devante, WR, Louisville
13 – Saints – Collins, La’el, OL, LSU
14 – Dolphins – Waynes, Trae, CB, Michigan St.
15 – 49ers – Scherff, Brandon, OL, Iowa
16 – Texans – Perriman, Breshad, WR, UCF
17 – Chargers – Gordon III, Melvin, RB, Wisconsin
18 – Chiefs – Johnson, Kevin, CB, Wake Forest
19 – Browns – Armstead, Arik, DL, Oregon
20 – Eagles – Dorsett, Phillip, WR, Miami
21 – Bengals – Peters, Marcus, CB, Washington
22 – Steelers – Ray, Shane, EDGE, Missouri ( rumored foot injury drops him into their lap)
23 – Lions – Brown, Malcom, DT, Texas
24 – Cardinals – Kendricks, Eric, LB, UCLA
25 – Panthers – Flowers, Ereck, OT, Miami
26 – Ravens – Humphries, D.J, OT, Florida
27 – Cowboys – Jones, Byron, CB, Connecticut
28 – Broncos – Clemmings, T.J. OT, Pittsburgh
29 – Colts – Harold, Eli, OLB, Virginia
30 – Packers – Gregory, Randy, EDGE, Nebraska (not sure about this one, but the Packers typically go PBA and Gregory here fits the bill)
31 – Saints – Agholor, Nelson, WR, USC
32 – Patriots – Goldman, Eddie, DL, Florida St.

Alright, Have at it. :v):
Thank you for doing a mock. I appreciate your effort and thank you for contributing to the thread!

Just a few thoughts on your mock:

- I think that Mariota will for sure go number two overall like you have stated. However, I believe that the Titans will take him if they do not get an offer that blows them away.

- I don't think Scherrf falls out of the top ten. If he does, I think that we will take him.

- Shane Ray is going to drop in the draft, but I am not quite sure he drops that far down. Maybe he does though.

- Unless I missed it, I think Landon Collins is still a first round talent.

Overall, you did a good job. I appreciate you taking the time to do a mock draft!
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Thank you for doing a mock. I appreciate your effort and thank you for contributing to the thread!

Just a few thoughts on your mock:

- I think that Mariota will for sure go number two overall like you have stated. However, I believe that the Titans will take him if they do not get an offer that blows them away.

- I don't think Scherrf falls out of the top ten. If he does, I think that we will take him.

- Shane Ray is going to drop in the draft, but I am not quite sure he drops that far down. Maybe he does though.

- Unless I missed it, I think Landon Collins is still a first round talent.

Overall, you did a good job. I appreciate you taking the time to do a mock draft!
No prob! Sorry I didn't get one done sooner, but most of my internet time has been relegated to an Ipod 4, not exactly a fun way to hack out a long post. 8)

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on the Titans taking Mariota. I can see the logic behind it, I just remain unconvinced they're that interested in him. I could be wrong and I'll definitely eat some crow if proven wrong. Ultimately I don't think that will matter, I'm pretty confident Tennessee will trade that pick.

I didn't set out to drop Scherff or Ray, and I was actually somewhat surprised with where I landed them. I just tried to let it flow, going on BPA, BPA that fits need, and perceived fit. I think Scherff being seen as strictly a Guard is going to get him. Probably not to the extent I dropped him, but still I think it will factor in. Peat is a Pure Tackle prospect, and Collins is being projected as being able to play OG or RT. Scherff seems to have been pigeonholed as a pure OG candidate. Add in there are some pretty good Guard prospects in the 2nd and 3rd (Ali Marpet, Cann and Tomlinson), along with perception that you shouldn't take an OG until later in the draft, unless they're a Steve Hutchenson Blue chip Hall of Famer type. I don't think anyone sees Scherff in that light. I just wonder if the teams at the top of the round might be inclined to pass with the idea they can grab someone else in the early second. I myself wouldn't be mad if he was the pick because while I don't think he's Hutch, I do think he's a guy who could play at a Pro Bowl or borderline Pro Bowl level for a long time. If I can get a guy who can play at fairly high level for 8-10 years, and make 5-6 pro bowls then I'll take it and be very happy about it.

That said, I actually believe the Vikes will trade down unless one of the impact defensive players or Cooper unexpectedly falls into their lap.

Shane Ray was a tough one. I don't know how serious this injury is, and how far if at all it's going to drop him, plus he's a tough fit.

Landon Collins I think will be a semi surprise fall. I allow he could still go in the first but I think him being seen as more of an in the box type could cause him to drop in a pass happy league. I've heard increasing talk that Damarious Randall could be the first Safety off the board.

I can't wait for Thursday so we can see, it's so close but so far! One of the favorite days of the year! :beerock: :wake :cheer: :dude: :banana2:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

nightowl wrote: No prob! Sorry I didn't get one done sooner, but most of my internet time has been relegated to an Ipod 4, not exactly a fun way to hack out a long post. 8)

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on the Titans taking Mariota. I can see the logic behind it, I just remain unconvinced they're that interested in him. I could be wrong and I'll definitely eat some crow if proven wrong. Ultimately I don't think that will matter, I'm pretty confident Tennessee will trade that pick.

I didn't set out to drop Scherff or Ray, and I was actually somewhat surprised with where I landed them. I just tried to let it flow, going on BPA, BPA that fits need, and perceived fit. I think Scherff being seen as strictly a Guard is going to get him. Probably not to the extent I dropped him, but still I think it will factor in. Peat is a Pure Tackle prospect, and Collins is being projected as being able to play OG or RT. Scherff seems to have been pigeonholed as a pure OG candidate. Add in there are some pretty good Guard prospects in the 2nd and 3rd (Ali Marpet, Cann and Tomlinson), along with perception that you shouldn't take an OG until later in the draft, unless they're a Steve Hutchenson Blue chip Hall of Famer type. I don't think anyone sees Scherff in that light. I just wonder if the teams at the top of the round might be inclined to pass with the idea they can grab someone else in the early second. I myself wouldn't be mad if he was the pick because while I don't think he's Hutch, I do think he's a guy who could play at a Pro Bowl or borderline Pro Bowl level for a long time. If I can get a guy who can play at fairly high level for 8-10 years, and make 5-6 pro bowls then I'll take it and be very happy about it.

That said, I actually believe the Vikes will trade down unless one of the impact defensive players or Cooper unexpectedly falls into their lap.

Shane Ray was a tough one. I don't know how serious this injury is, and how far if at all it's going to drop him, plus he's a tough fit.

Landon Collins I think will be a semi surprise fall. I allow he could still go in the first but I think him being seen as more of an in the box type could cause him to drop in a pass happy league. I've heard increasing talk that Damarious Randall could be the first Safety off the board.

I can't wait for Thursday so we can see, it's so close but so far! One of the favorite days of the year! :beerock: :wake :cheer: :dude: :banana2:
I agree on the notion that we should expect some surprise first round picks. I mean, Deone Buccanon, Marcus Smith, Dee Ford, Jimmie Ward, and Dominque Easley were not projected to be first round picks last year. Yet, they were.

I cannot wait for Thursday. I will have my final mock draft done an hour before Thursday. Skol
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This will be wrong. HOW wrong is the big question. This was a fairly quick first run. I'll be editing a bit tonight and tomorrow. Have at it!

Version 1.0
* indicates a motherf*cking trade

1 – Bucs – Jameis Winston
2* – Cleveland - Marcus Mariota
3 – Jaguars– Leonard Williams
4* – Falcons– Vic Beasley
5 – Washington – Dante Fowler, Jr.
6 – Jets – Andrus Peat
7 – Bears – Danny Shelton
8* – Raiders – Amari Cooper
9 – Giants – Brandon Scherff
10 – Rams – Kevin White
11* – Chiefs – Devante Parker
12 – Titans – Todd Gurley
13 – Saints – La'el Collins
14 – Dolphins – Trae Waynes
15 – 49ers – Arik Armstead
16 – Texans – Malcom Brown
17 – Chargers – Bud Dupree
18 – Vikings – Marcus Peters
19 – Titans – Cameron Erving
20 – Eagles – Breshad Perriman
21 – Bengals – Shane Ray
22 – Steelers – Kevin Johnson
23* – Cowboys– Melvin Gordon
24 – Cardinals – Byron Jones
25 – Panthers – D.J. Humphries
26 – Ravens – Phillip Dorsett
27* – Lions – Eddie Goldman
28 – Broncos – Eric Kendricks
29 – Colts – Landon Collins
30 – Packers – Jalen Collins
31* – Vikings– Shaq Thompson
32 – Patriots – Eric Rowe

Some notes:

Predicting trades is HAAAAARD.

I think Cleveland is just dysfunctional and desperate enough to make the Titans very, very happy. I'm not about to predict what the compensation will be but it'll be a lot. It benefits the Titans a lot to trade out of this position if they're truly confident with The Mett. Even if they're not, the bounty they receive for the pick will make it too hard to pass.

I honestly have no idea what the Bears are going to do. Shelton is the natural fit, mostly because they have such a HUGE need there. Will Sutton isn't good to begin with and would be worse in Fangio's 3-4. He's just not big enough. I almost mocked Waynes to them but they need an anchor badly. I'm not sure waiting until the second round would be wise. You could make the case Shelton is their "BPA" there for that scheme.

The Jets are tough to figure out, too. I could easily see them go Dupree or Kevin White. I actually had White to them but switched it. They need tackle help and Peat can start on the right side before moving on to LT in 2016. Signing Brandon Marshall gave them a bit of breathing room but it still wouldn't surprise me if they took him.

There's got to be a few more trades but the way this fell that's all that really made the most sense.

I might be off with my Detroit pick (well, on most of these probably). I nearly put Coleman here. Detroit has shown a ton of interest in Coleman and I have a hard time believing he'll be there for their second pick but it could happen. As it stands they somehow have a very balanced roster with a hole at DT.

I'll post some more notes later probably. Feedback welcome!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly