Paul Dawson

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
frosted
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Paul Dawson

Post by frosted » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:08 pm

LB from TCU.

We have to get him - round 2 possibly?

Pleeeeeaaaaassssse Rick.



That's a great tape right there ^ lots of tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage.



^ Likewise in that game

Dawson will be the best pro LB in this class.
Stop being a hypocrite

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by Texas Vike » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:04 pm

I like Dawson a lot. I live in Fort Worth and watch a lot of TCU's games. Dawson's a very smart LB. Coach Patterson reminds me of Zimmer: a genuine teacher and a defensive specialist. His players are typically less physically gifted than those recruits that go to UT (Austin), but they come out of their college experience better coached and better prepared IMO. I'd love it if Dawson made it to us in Rd. 2.

User avatar
frosted
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by frosted » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Texas Vike wrote:I like Dawson a lot. I live in Fort Worth and watch a lot of TCU's games. Dawson's a very smart LB. Coach Patterson reminds me of Zimmer: a genuine teacher and a defensive specialist. His players are typically less physically gifted than those recruits that go to UT (Austin), but they come out of their college experience better coached and better prepared IMO. I'd love it if Dawson made it to us in Rd. 2.
Do you think he could play MIKE? I know he's not the biggest kid, and playing inside in a 4-2-5, it's hard to project, but his skill set seems like it would transfer well to playing the middle in Zimmer's defense. I think he's better than McKinney and Perryman. I want us to draft him in the worst way. I just know he's going to be so good. Some of the best instincts you can ask for from a LB coming out of school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop being a hypocrite

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:39 am

frosted wrote: Do you think he could play MIKE? I know he's not the biggest kid, and playing inside in a 4-2-5, it's hard to project, but his skill set seems like it would transfer well to playing the middle in Zimmer's defense. I think he's better than McKinney and Perryman. I want us to draft him in the worst way. I just know he's going to be so good. Some of the best instincts you can ask for from a LB coming out of school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. He's great at shedding blocks and getting to the ball. I'm hoping his lack of ideal size helps him slide a bit to our 2nd round spot. He's pretty different from some of our recent 1st round picks (Barr and Flash) in that he's not some freakish athlete, but his production was off the charts and I think you're right in that he'll be solid at the next level.

Rewatching the highlights of that Ole Miss bowl game beat down was pretty fun! Dawson played like a man possessed. I don't know if it was Tessitore, Tebow, or someone else, but one of the commentators mentions that a lot of coach Patterson's LBs are now playing on Sundays and Dawson is going to be the next one to be lighting it up at the next level. He's used to wearing purple!

User avatar
frosted
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by frosted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:41 am

Cheers to that, maybe Spielman trades up into the early second or late first to nab him. It would make my offseason if we got him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop being a hypocrite

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by DK Sweets » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 pm

If we could get a shutdown CB to put next to Rhodes and came back for this guy, our defense could be nasty.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24451
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by dead_poet » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 am

Dawson disappointed pretty big at the combine. Could lead to him landing him later?
Paul Dawson, LB, TCU: The workouts in Indy are not supposed to hurt a player's stock, but it will be hard for scouts to overlook Dawson's disappointing performance on Sunday. He posted pedestrian times in the 40 (4.93) and didn't show any explosiveness in the jumping drills (28-inch vertical, 109-inch broad). Those lackluster marks accompanied a dismal performance in the positional workout, where he looked stiff and upright while changing directions. Although Dawson's game tape is as solid as any prospect in the 2015 class, this lack of athleticism and explosiveness could prompt some teams to drop their grades on the standout linebacker.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... isappoints
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8405
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by Cliff » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 am

dead_poet wrote:Dawson disappointed pretty big at the combine. Could lead to him landing him later?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... isappoints
I feel like this coaching staff is less likely to take a player like this on defense. I think the staff is pretty confident in their 'molding' abilities and I think physical attributes become more important in that situation. I think their pick of Barr kind of reflects that.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by fiestavike » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:14 am

Cliff wrote: I feel like this coaching staff is less likely to take a player like this on defense. I think the staff is pretty confident in their 'molding' abilities and I think physical attributes become more important in that situation. I think their pick of Barr kind of reflects that.
That's a good insight. I tend to agree. I'd love to see what Zimmer can mold out of guys like Barr with position flexibility and great athleticism, and I think that's what he is probably looking for.

I'm not opposed to Dawson, but I have a hard time imagining taking a 2 down OLB who will be on the field 25-35 percent of snaps being taken early in the draft.

User avatar
frosted
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by frosted » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 am

fiestavike wrote: That's a good insight. I tend to agree. I'd love to see what Zimmer can mold out of guys like Barr with position flexibility and great athleticism, and I think that's what he is probably looking for.

I'm not opposed to Dawson, but I have a hard time imagining taking a 2 down OLB who will be on the field 25-35 percent of snaps being taken early in the draft.
Dawson can be a 3 down MLB in the NFL, and I'm basing that off his game tape, not his combine tests.

The thing that worries me about him is the questions about his work ethic. If he's not a gym rat and film junkie, he's not going to make it. You can't get by in the NFL without it, even as good a player as Dawson is at football.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop being a hypocrite

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24451
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by dead_poet » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:37 am

frosted wrote:The thing that worries me about him is the questions about his work ethic. If he's not a gym rat and film junkie, he's not going to make it. You can't get by in the NFL without it, even as good a player as Dawson is at football.
I'll cautiously say that I recall Burflict had a miserable combine that contributed to his stock falling out of the draft altogether (also helped by a myriad of off-field issues). But he's a solid LB (when healthy). Though I'm guessing lesser athletically-gifted players like Dawson face an even steeper battle to "make it." I'll be curious if he can improve his numbers during his pro day.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by DK Sweets » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

dead_poet wrote: I'll cautiously say that I recall Burflict had a miserable combine that contributed to his stock falling out of the draft altogether (also helped by a myriad of off-field issues). But he's a solid LB (when healthy). Though I'm guessing lesser athletically-gifted players like Dawson face an even steeper battle to "make it." I'll be curious if he can improve his numbers during his pro day.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Depending on where he falls, Zimmer could still go after him.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24451
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by dead_poet » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 am

Paul Dawson - LB - Horned Frogs

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline noted that while TCU LB Paul Dawson "physically runs a 4.95 forty, mentally he plays at a 4.3 speed."

"Many were surprised by Paul Dawson’s poor forty time but those who saw him at combine training were not," Pauline wrote. "I was told while Dawson is not foot fast but his reaction speed has been off the charts. Dawson was one of the best they’ve seen when participating in reaction drills." Dawson performed poorly in combine tests, but he's never won on the field with elite athleticism. If he falls in April, some brave team is going to find itself a steal.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4016
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: So. Utah

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by The Breeze » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Dawson sounds a lot like Bobby Boucher.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24451
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Paul Dawson

Post by dead_poet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:52 am

Paul Dawson - LB - Horned Frogs

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock mentioned that an "old-school scout" told him to trust his gut on TCU LB Paul Dawson.

"Don't get off Paul Dawson. ... Trust your gut," the scout told Mike Mayock. The 6-foot, 235-pound TCU prospect, has shown great instincts on film and played at a high level for the Horned Frogs. While Dawson didn't show out at the combine like many expected, the eye in the sky is his best friend. Teams will have to go back and do their homework on Dawson and roll the dice if they believe he's their target on Day 1.
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... er_nfl_cfb
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Post Reply