View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am



Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Final Four Announced 
Author Message
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Final Four Announced
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State


I personally thing one of the teams from Texas should have been in (TCU or Baylor) over OSU, but the Buckeyes have been very impressive lately.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
PurpleMustReign wrote:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

I personally thing one of the teams from Texas should have been in (TCU or Baylor) over OSU, but the Buckeyes have been very impressive lately.


I think they earned their spot, particularly with their road win over Michigan State and their absolute domination of Wisconsin on Saturday, despite having to start their 3rd string QB. They've been playing like one of the very best teams in the country so I thought they deserved their shot. Heck, they're playing so well right now that I think if they played Alabama next week, they'd have a legitimate chance to beat them. However, sometimes momentum dissipates a little between the end of the season and a Bowl game.


Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:37 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

I personally thing one of the teams from Texas should have been in (TCU or Baylor) over OSU, but the Buckeyes have been very impressive lately.


I think they earned their spot, particularly with their road win over Michigan State and their absolute domination of Wisconsin on Saturday, despite having to start their 3rd string QB. They've been playing like one of the very best teams in the country so I thought they deserved their shot. Heck, they're playing so well right now that I think if they played Alabama next week, they'd have a legitimate chance to beat them. However, sometimes momentum dissipates a little between the end of the season and a Bowl game.


I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field. The Big 12 has to get a championship game--one of them ought to be in the playoff this year. I grew up watching Big 10 ball and now watch more Big 12 ball, and the latter is currently a stronger division IMO. TCU handled UMN w/ ease.


Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:02 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field.


I actually feel the opposite, which makes me wonder how much our opinions are shaped by our environments, given that you live in Big 12 country and I live in the middle of Big 10 territory. :) Statistically, the 3 teams are pretty similar. I imagine a head-to-head matchup between OSU and either Baylor or TCU could either way on a neutral field.

It was inevitable that some worthy teams would be left out of the final 4 and it's going to be like this every year. I wonder how they could improve it.


Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field.


I actually feel the opposite, which makes me wonder how much our opinions are shaped by our environments, given that you live in Big 12 country and I live in the middle of Big 10 territory. :) Statistically, the 3 teams are pretty similar. I imagine a head-to-head matchup between OSU and either Baylor or TCU could either way on a neutral field.

It was inevitable that some worthy teams would be left out of the final 4 and it's going to be like this every year. I wonder how they could improve it.



Wisconsin just rolled over in that last game. OSU is always overrated, just like the big names in the Big 12 are (I'm a Longhorn, but I recognize that UT gets all kinds of advantages... ex-coach Mack Brown has even said as much). If the Big 12 had played a conference championship between TCU and BU the winner would have been chosen as the fourth team. As it played out, OSU's blowout win helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and BU.

The only common opponent for TCU and OSU was UMN. TCU beat them by 23, OSU barely won. TCU only loss was to Baylor, by 3 on the last play of the game. OSU lost to ??? Virginia Tech?


Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
I think both Baylor and TCU would beat OSU on a neutral field.


I actually feel the opposite, which makes me wonder how much our opinions are shaped by our environments, given that you live in Big 12 country and I live in the middle of Big 10 territory. :) Statistically, the 3 teams are pretty similar. I imagine a head-to-head matchup between OSU and either Baylor or TCU could either way on a neutral field.

It was inevitable that some worthy teams would be left out of the final 4 and it's going to be like this every year. I wonder how they could improve it.



Wisconsin just rolled over in that last game. OSU is always overrated, just like the big names in the Big 12 are (I'm a Longhorn, but I recognize that UT gets all kinds of advantages... ex-coach Mack Brown has even said as much). If the Big 12 had played a conference championship between TCU and BU the winner would have been chosen as the fourth team. As it played out, OSU's blowout win helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and BU.

The only common opponent for TCU and OSU was UMN. TCU beat them by 23, OSU barely won. TCU only loss was to Baylor, by 3 on the last play of the game. OSU lost to ??? Virginia Tech?


This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.

If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.

It's too bad that J.T. Barrett got hurt. I suspect Alabama will win by 10 or more. I don't know that TCU or Baylor would perform any better, but that's just my thought.

_________________
Stop being a hypocrite


Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
frosted wrote:
This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.


Agreed. On any given Saturday...

Quote:
If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.


Well said.

Quote:
It's too bad that J.T. Barrett got hurt. I suspect Alabama will win by 10 or more. I don't know that TCU or Baylor would perform any better, but that's just my thought.


It's definitely too bad that Barrett got hurt.

TexasVike, OSU's blowout win over Wisconsin definitely helped the committee dodge the awkwardness of choosing between TCU and Baylor but I think it also asserted OSU as a very viable candidate and their convincing win over #8 Michigan State a few weeks earlier did likewise. I think all 3 teams have a great case and that's the problem with a 4 team "playoff". Someone is going to get boxed out every season. Baylor will play Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl on New Year's so at least that will give us an interesting matchup between two of the better teams from the Big 12 and Big 10.

Heck, I'm just grateful that they didn't simply put 3 SEC teams into the final four and a token team from another conference, just to keep up appearances. :) I get tired of hearing hype about the SEC.


Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
I get tired of hearing hype about the SEC.


AMEN! Haha. I get it, I do. The SEC is clearly an elite conference in terms of talent. The top high school football players in the nation are generally coming from that region, and more often than not, they take that talent to schools like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. The SEC West is stacked. That said, the difference is over-stated.

I don't see it happening, but it would give me great satisfaction if Ohio State could somehow knock Alabama off..

_________________
Stop being a hypocrite


Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
frosted wrote:
Mothman wrote:
I get tired of hearing hype about the SEC.


AMEN! Haha. I get it, I do. The SEC is clearly an elite conference in terms of talent. The top high school football players in the nation are generally coming from that region, and more often than not, they take that talent to schools like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. The SEC West is stacked. That said, the difference is over-stated.

I don't see it happening, but it would give me great satisfaction if Ohio State could somehow knock Alabama off..



Ditto. That would make me very happy.


Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Final Four Announced
The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference, although the Pac-12 is slowly becoming a force of its own.
I love SEC football. Seeing Alabama play LSU or Georgia play Florida males college football very dfun for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
PurpleMustReign wrote:
The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference, although the Pac-12 is slowly becoming a force of its own.
I love SEC football. Seeing Alabama play LSU or Georgia play Florida males college football very dfun for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk



I'd hate to see them play the Florida FEMALES. :rofl:

Just giving you a hard time.

I think the SEC is the best conference, but I agree with others that the difference isn't as big as folks think. I wish there were more non conference games between the "power 5".

I am eager to see how Oregon does against FSU. I think Bama will blow OSU out. Perhaps OSU will prove me wrong, but as of today I don't expect them to keep it within 14 points.


Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
frosted wrote:
This is the problem I have with comparing 'resumes'. Wisconsin lost 24-28 to LSU. Close game - LSU lost to Alabama only 20-13, the best team in the land, real close and decided in OT. OSU beat Wisco 59-0. So what does that tell us about OSU? Baylor lost to WVU. TCU barely beat WVU..You can spin things any way you want to. There are way too many variables involved to start trying to say, so and so beat this team, and so and so lost here, so so and so is better than so and so.
.


Welcome to college FB! They HAVE to consider these types of things because it's an imperfect system. OSU was fortunate w/ the TCU-Baylor situation, otherwise they wouldn't have jumped from 6 to 4, leapfrogging both TCU and Baylor in the last week solely because of their win over Wisc.

frosted wrote:
If you really want to get into the statistical measure of it, by strength of schedule, Ohio State was 45th, TCU was 53rd, and Baylor was 59th. The schools do this to themselves - they have to start scheduling legitimate non-conference games, playing cupcakes only hurts them.

It's too bad that J.T. Barrett got hurt. I suspect Alabama will win by 10 or more. I don't know that TCU or Baylor would perform any better, but that's just my thought.


Is Barrett for sure out for this game? It's still a ways off. Either way I think it's Bama by a long shot. I agree that TCU and Baylor would have had a hard time with Bama too.


Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference, although the Pac-12 is slowly becoming a force of its own.
I love SEC football. Seeing Alabama play LSU or Georgia play Florida males college football very dfun for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk



I'd hate to see them play the Florida FEMALES. :rofl:

Just giving you a hard time.

I think the SEC is the best conference, but I agree with others that the difference isn't as big as folks think. I wish there were more non conference games between the "power 5".

I am eager to see how Oregon does against FSU. I think Bama will blow OSU out. Perhaps OSU will prove me wrong, but as of today I don't expect them to keep it within 14 points.

Lol, i had to read it a few times to figure out what i meant to type.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
TCU made a statement today. So much for the idea that the Big 12 doesn't play D.


Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:47 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Looking forward to today's games, especially to see how the Big 10 and Big 12 match up in the Baylor vs. Mich. St. game. Then, of course, the final four.

My picks: Baylor, Oregon, Bama. All the favorites, so I'm probably wrong on at least one!

I'll be watching Melvin Gordon for Wisconsin too.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:54 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
TCU made a statement today. So much for the idea that the Big 12 doesn't play D.


Plus, they clobbered an SEC team. :) It was definitely a "statement" win.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
Looking forward to today's games, especially to see how the Big 10 and Big 12 match up in the Baylor vs. Mich. St. game. Then, of course, the final four.

My picks: Baylor, Oregon, Bama. All the favorites, so I'm probably wrong on at least one!

I'll be watching Melvin Gordon for Wisconsin too.


I'm not sure how much I'll get to watch. I'm hoping to catch both playoff games (it seems weird to say that about college football). I'm definitely hoping the Big 10 fares well, especially Ohio State, although the odds aren't in their favor.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Go Gophs, Sparty, Buckeyes, Wisco ... B1G! Haha. I feel like they could all lose, great games today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Stop being a hypocrite


Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
frosted wrote:
Go Gophs, Sparty, Buckeyes, Wisco ... B1G! Haha. I feel like they could all lose, great games today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



I have to say that Michigan St. looks like a pretty solid team. They're hanging with Baylor so far, but I'm getting the sense that they won't be able to keep up. The Gophers are looking solid. Nice to see. I really like Kill.

Wisconsin's QB is atrocious. I also don't think I want Gordon in the first round. I'd rather have a really dynamic, pass-catching RB in round 3 or 4, whether we keep AD or not. Get me a superior WR with that top pick.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
TCU made a statement today. So much for the idea that the Big 12 doesn't play D.


Plus, they clobbered an SEC team. :) It was definitely a "statement" win.


Yeah, that was a fired up team right there. They felt disrespected and were very focused. I love to see the SEC get a cold dose of reality too. :)


Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Speaking of Gordon... did anybody just see that TD run he made on 4th and 1? Wow!


Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:36 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
Speaking of Gordon... did anybody just see that TD run he made on 4th and 1? Wow!



Yeah... Pretty good timing on my part, eh? I can see why some posters here are high on him. That was a seriously impressive run, for numerous reasons. His determination to get to the EZ at the end especially.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:47 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
HOLY smokes, did you see the play by Gopher's TE #88 (Williams)?


Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:53 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Speaking of Gordon... did anybody just see that TD run he made on 4th and 1? Wow!


Yeah... Pretty good timing on my part, eh? I can see why some posters here are high on him. That was a seriously impressive run, for numerous reasons. His determination to get to the EZ at the end especially.


I literally said, "Wow" out loud when I saw it... and nobody else is here!

Texas Vike wrote:
HOLY smokes, did you see the play by Gopher's TE #88 (Williams)?


Missed it. :(


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:00 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Speaking of Gordon... did anybody just see that TD run he made on 4th and 1? Wow!


Yeah... Pretty good timing on my part, eh? I can see why some posters here are high on him. That was a seriously impressive run, for numerous reasons. His determination to get to the EZ at the end especially.


I literally said, "Wow" out loud when I saw it... and nobody else is here!

Texas Vike wrote:
HOLY smokes, did you see the play by Gopher's TE #88 (Williams)?


Missed it. :(


He scored a 30-40 yard TD and straight up hurdled a guy at full stride before bursting into the end zone. We're not talking a Jerome Wiggins, 2 foot scissor kick of a hurdle either, he got some serious air. :lol:

Those two plays are the top two so far today... I'm sure we're in for some more highlights with what's left.

This Wisconsin game is getting good.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:08 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
He scored a 30-40 yard TD and straight up hurdled a guy at full stride before bursting into the end zone. We're not talking a Jerome Wiggins, 2 foot scissor kick of a hurdle either, he got some serious air. :lol:


I'll look for that highlight later!

Edit: I saw it on the broadcast of the Wisconsin game right after I posted that. Great play!

Quote:
Those two plays are the top two so far today... I'm sure we're in for some more highlights with what's left.

This Wisconsin game is getting good.


Yes, the pudgy Brazilian just tied it up with mere seconds left in regulation. :)


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
He scored a 30-40 yard TD and straight up hurdled a guy at full stride before bursting into the end zone. We're not talking a Jerome Wiggins, 2 foot scissor kick of a hurdle either, he got some serious air. :lol:


I'll look for that highlight later!

Edit: I saw it on the broadcast of the Wisconsin game right after I posted that. Great play!

Quote:
Those two plays are the top two so far today... I'm sure we're in for some more highlights with what's left.

This Wisconsin game is getting good.


Yes, the pudgy Brazilian just tied it up with mere seconds left in regulation. :)


:rofl:

I have quite a few Brazilian friends and I've never, ever met a single Brazilian as chubby as the Wisconsin kicker! That cheddar cheese up there must be packing on his freshman 50. :lol: Spirited guy, too.

Wow. Off the upright for the Sconny win. Cool ending.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:41 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Texas Vike wrote:
I have quite a few Brazilian friends and I've never, ever met a single Brazilian as chubby as the Wisconsin kicker! That cheddar cheese up there must be packing on his freshman 50. :lol: Spirited guy, too.


Well, that cheese IS pretty good. :)

Quote:
Wow. Off the upright for the Sconny win. Cool ending.


Yeah, i wish I'd seen the whole game. I only saw the second half. If the Bowls tonight live up to that one, we have some fun ahead.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:48 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Don't look now, but the SEC is having a brutal bowl season thus far


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Stop being a hypocrite


Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Final Four Announced
Wow, this Baylor - Mich. St game just got crazy. After trailing 42-21, Mich. St. is driving for the win.


Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.