Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: We could put McKinnon under center and run the triple option!
:lol: Exactly!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

A.J. Cann - G - Gamecocks

South Carolina G A.J. Cann is a "brutish bull of a man whose strength and abilities are perfect to play guard in the NFL," wrote CBS Sports' Frank Cooney.

"He is a no-nonsense, blue collar, in-your-face offensive guard," Cooney wrote. "His brute force should not be wasted on some zone blocking front line that relies on precise choreography. Cann doesn't sweat the small details, he just eradicates whoever is in front of him." At the combine, Cann was asked to describe his style of play. "I think I play at a very low level, and I think I'm athletic and strong," he said. "For a guard, I think I'm really athletic. I'm quick, and I think I can basically block anybody if I put my mind to it. I'll do whatever I've got to do."
Source: CBS Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

John Miller - G - Cardinals

Louisville OG John Miller "should be worth a third round pick for a team looking for a reliable, blue collar interior lineman," wrote CBS Sports' Frank Cooney.

"Despite gaining a national reputation at Miami's Central High School as a ferocious blocker and playing extremely well at Louisville his entire career, Miller was seldom mentioned as a pro prospect until this year," Cooney wrote. "His excellent technique and efficiency of movement more than compensated for his lack of elite athletic ability." Miller was slighted by the Senior Bowl, but all turned out fine when he dominated at the East-West Shrine Game. "Miller has the relative low center of gravity and thick base that scouts look for in interior lineman and has long enough arms (33"). In pass protection, he showed balance and reasonably light feet to mirror, as well as strong hands to latch and control," CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote from the scene. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah projects Miller as a Rds. 3-4 pick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:A.J. Cann - G - Gamecocks

South Carolina G A.J. Cann is a "brutish bull of a man whose strength and abilities are perfect to play guard in the NFL," wrote CBS Sports' Frank Cooney.

"He is a no-nonsense, blue collar, in-your-face offensive guard," Cooney wrote. "His brute force should not be wasted on some zone blocking front line that relies on precise choreography. Cann doesn't sweat the small details, he just eradicates whoever is in front of him." At the combine, Cann was asked to describe his style of play. "I think I play at a very low level, and I think I'm athletic and strong," he said. "For a guard, I think I'm really athletic. I'm quick, and I think I can basically block anybody if I put my mind to it. I'll do whatever I've got to do."
Draft that man!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:John Miller - G - Cardinals

Louisville OG John Miller "should be worth a third round pick for a team looking for a reliable, blue collar interior lineman," wrote CBS Sports' Frank Cooney.

"Despite gaining a national reputation at Miami's Central High School as a ferocious blocker and playing extremely well at Louisville his entire career, Miller was seldom mentioned as a pro prospect until this year," Cooney wrote. "His excellent technique and efficiency of movement more than compensated for his lack of elite athletic ability." Miller was slighted by the Senior Bowl, but all turned out fine when he dominated at the East-West Shrine Game. "Miller has the relative low center of gravity and thick base that scouts look for in interior lineman and has long enough arms (33"). In pass protection, he showed balance and reasonably light feet to mirror, as well as strong hands to latch and control," CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote from the scene. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah projects Miller as a Rds. 3-4 pick.
He sounds like another legitimate option. Thanks for posting that!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Draft that man!
:o I thought you'd like that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: :o I thought you'd like that.
You were right. :)

Cann just strikes me as a guard who could step right in and start and with a little luck, he'll be available to the Vikes in R2, enabling them to use the first pick on another position. T

They need more picks! The number of players I want the Vikes to draft in the first two rounds currently out-numbers the picks they have available.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: Draft that man!
Indeed. This is the temperment I'm desiring for the o-line. Old school Conrad Dobler types. A guy who might bite someones nose off, just to prove his point. Surround Bridgewater with Purple Nasties~
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm adding my thanks for the O-linemen info, as well.
I hate thinking that there are only a couple of guys that could fit the bill at guard.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Nice info on the Guards. I doubt Scherff is there at 11, and knowing theres a few really good looking guards later, is a bit comforting. I still think, if we stay with the 11th pick and dont trade downs, we get Waynes. Even more so with Williams showing he has no self control. Dont want issue players, and getting hammered, and then driving, is an issue. A month before his future begins.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

dead_poet wrote: I'm confused; why would the Browns want to move to #11 if Mariota is there, knowing the Vikings would likely not take him? I know Chip has said you don't mortgage the future for one player, BUT moving from 20 to 11 is more cost-effective than from 20 to 2 (or 5). I would absolutely love to trade a healthy amount of picks with Chip. I think that'd be the best-case scenario. If that were to happen, I'm sure Rick and his penchant for draft picks would be downright giddy. I have to admit, I'm almost more excited to watch Philly's draft than our own. Wacky Chip could do all sorts of wheelin' & dealin'.
The same reason they moved from 4 to 3 to get Richardson, even though they knew we wouldn't take him. It's to prevent another team trading up to that spot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

La'El Collins - T - Player

LSU OL La'El Collins reported to the Tigers' Pro Day at 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds, up 15 pounds from the Combine.

As the LSU Pro Day was held on March 27, Collins gained 15 pounds in roughly one month. The weight gain may be seen as a red flag if it's "bad" weight. It's also possible Collins was told by NFL teams to add some weight because they view him as a guard. Although Collins was an excellent edge protector in the SEC, his likeliest pro position is guard due to 33 1/4-inch arms.
Source: Rotoworld NFL Draft
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers

Based on both game film and measurables by ESPN, Clemson edge rusher Vic Beasley compares to Bruce Irvin.

"The gap in power and size are too much for me to get on board with the comparisons to Watt and Williams, who were far better run defenders than Beasley coming out of college," wrote ESPN's Steve Muench. "Clay Matthews is another name worth mentioning, but you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better comparison than Irvin considering his explosiveness rushing off the edge and his need to win with quickness to be effective against the run." In addition to Irvin, John Parolin of the Stats & Information Group sees in Beasley's numbers J.J. Watt and Mario Williams. "Both Beasley and Irvin are exactly 6-3 and within one pound of each other," he wrote. "Beasley's speed/quickness measurables fall just shy of Irvin's, but his 35 bench press reps at 246 pounds match Williams' (at 295) and beat Watt's (34 at 290). The sum of Beasley's height, arm length and vertical jump is actually higher than the sum of Watt's scores."
Source: ESPN Insider
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman, suffering from a minor hamstring issue, was held out of most the school's pro day.

This isn't going to affect his draft standing in any way. As a senior playing ILB, Perryman logged 110 tackles, and as a junior playing outside, he had 108 tackles. The 5-foot-10, 236-pound Perryman will play on the inside in the NFL. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein likens Perryman to D'Qwell Jackson. "I have a little higher grade on Perryman than I probably should, but we like thumpers and #### inside and he's both," said an AFC director of scouting.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

ESPN's Kevin Weidl compares Louisville WR DeVante Parker to A.J. Green.

"Green was a more polished route-runner and a tad bit quicker transitioning out of breaks coming out of Georgia," Weidl wrote. "However, both have long, slender and flexible frames with excellent range tracking throws, and also have the body control and leaping ability to win in contested situations." Meanwhile, based on numbers, Sharon Katz of the Stats & Information Group compares Parker to Michael Floyd, A.J. Green and Martavis Bryant. "Parker is tall (slightly under 6-3) and lean (209 pounds) with long arms and average hands; his build is most similar to Bryant's, but his athleticism most closely resembles that of Floyd and Green," she wrote. "He has good straight-line speed (4.45 40), which is within 0.05 seconds of all three players listed above, and above-average leaping ability for his size."

---
Laken Tomlinson - G - Blue Devils

The National Football Post's Greg Gabriel believes Duke OG Laken Tomlinson "should be a starter by his second year."

Gabriel anticipates Tomlinson getting drafted in the third to fourth round area. "The team that drafts him may want to move him to center. With his girth and power, he can be a force versus the big nose tackles in the league," Gabriel wrote. "He has the smarts and leadership skills to be the leader of the O-Line from the center position." As a four-year starter, Tomlinson never missed a start in his career. "As a player, he is best as a run blocker. He comes off the ball low and has some explosiveness on contact," Gabriel wrote. "He does a good job getting movement with his blocks and has enough athleticism in space to get to the second level. He also does a good job with combo blocks."
Source: National Football Post

---
Kevin White - WR - Mountaineers

ESPN's Kevin Weidl compares West Virginia WR Kevin White to Julio Jones.

"They both have an exceptional combination of strength and explosiveness that creates mismatches when left on an island," Weidl wrote. "In addition, both show the ability to not only stretch the field and win one-on-one battles, but also have the speed, balance and strength as runners to manufacture big yards after the catch." John Parolin of the Stats & Information Group, using numbers as opposed to game film, likens White to A.J. Green and Rueben Randle. "White's height, hand size and wingspan all compare to Randle, though White's combine performance shows superior athletic measurables," he wrote. "His total profile matches Green well; Green is an inch taller with a similar wingspan but two inches shorter on the vertical jump."