Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by frosted »

I know one draftnik on Twitter - for the life of me can't remember who - that has Coleman and a few others ahead of Gordon - I can't say I'm 100% sold on Gordon as a pro, but who's to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

frosted wrote:I know one draftnik on Twitter - for the life of me can't remember who - that has Coleman and a few others ahead of Gordon - I can't say I'm 100% sold on Gordon as a pro, but who's to know.

sometimes those big time offensive lines can make backs look better than they are. i saw some stat about the ohio state running back. i think he had 170 yds in the national title game before contact. that tells me his line was opening huge holes and blowing the ducks off the line. not saying he's not a good back, but sometimes the blocking can make them seem alot better than they are.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Here's my guy ....

Devante Parker
Particulars: 6-3, 208, senior
Buzz: He was Teddy Bridgewater's favorite receiver at Louisville. He has been clocked at 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and his vertical jump has been measured at 36.5 inches and his broad jump at 10-foot-10. He can squat 455 pounds and bench press 335 pounds; he also can do 17 reps in the bench press at 225 pounds. In addition, he has a wing span of 80 inches, so when you factor in his height and his vertical jump, his "catch radius" is exceptionally large, which should make his starting QB smile.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IIsweet wrote:Here's my guy ....

Devante Parker
Particulars: 6-3, 208, senior
Buzz: He was Teddy Bridgewater's favorite receiver at Louisville. He has been clocked at 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and his vertical jump has been measured at 36.5 inches and his broad jump at 10-foot-10. He can squat 455 pounds and bench press 335 pounds; he also can do 17 reps in the bench press at 225 pounds. In addition, he has a wing span of 80 inches, so when you factor in his height and his vertical jump, his "catch radius" is exceptionally large, which should make his starting QB smile.
I think Parker or Cooper would be my favorite picks if we were to stay at 11. Of course, I might change my mind in the next 3.5 months. :lol:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Iowa OL Brandon Scherff's best position in the NFL will be G.

This does not prevent Brugler from praising Scherff, ranking him as the No. 4 overall prospect. Interior OL are receiving their due from evaluators, since preventing interior disruption is critical for an offense to have success. Scherff's projection could be similar to Zack Martin, as some teams will view him as an edge blocker and others inside.
Source: CBS Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Round One Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

Round Two Erik Kendricks ILB UCLA (played with Barr and they know each other)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24S4ce1h3s

Round Three: Karl Joseph*, S, West Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UFTx_gDLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTFREp8mUA Dude crushes a wide out

Round Four: Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAdtzKnIDs reminds of steve smith a little bit
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Trae Waynes - DB - Spartans

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes Michigan State CB Trae Waynes is better than former Spartans CB Darqueze Dennard.

"He's very good in press coverage and run support and has very good ball skills," Brandt wrote. "I think he's a better player than former Spartans CB Darqueze Dennard, who was picked in the first round last year by Cincinnati. Expect Waynes to start as a rookie and contribute." Waynes finished his career having started 27 consecutive games. He posted six interceptions and 13 pass breakups over the past two years. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah wrote earlier this month that he likes Waynes more than any corner in the 2014 class, a group that includes first-rounders Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, the aforementioned Dennard, Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett.
Source: NFL.com

---
Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide
NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper is "a taller version of Odell Beckham Jr., although he doesn't quite have Beckham's speed."

The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. Brandt notes that 25 of those catches came on third down, "so that tells you that he was really moving the chains. Anytime Alabama needed a big play, it would go to him even though he was often double- or triple-teamed." Cooper is a potential -- some would say likely -- top-10 pick in the draft.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

ESPN's Mel Kiper expects Iowa OT Brandon Scherff to eventually "land at right tackle."

"Another tackle who could start his NFL career as a dominant guard, though I suspect he'll land at right tackle," Kiper wrote, ranking Scherff as his No. 9 overall prospect. "Overall, he is dominant in the run game -- the guy who will just try to drive a defender into the parking lot -- and has made strides as a pass-blocker. I've said before that he can be better in pass protection, but he is pretty good, just not super nimble. He is the best run-blocker in the class, along with La'el Collins. Scherff uses a powerful base and a powerful punch to jolt defenders, and he can move well and line up blocks in space." CBS Sports' Dane Brugler ranks Scherff No. 4 overall, but thinks the Hawkeye will be shifted to guard in the pros. This isn't the slap-in-the-face projection that it used to be: The NFL is wising up to the value of guards as means of preventing interior disruption, critical for an offense's success.
Source: ESPN Insider
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Trae Waynes would be an awesome pick. I think investing in a shutdown secondary would be a great way to build this team.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

ESPN's Mel Kiper expects Iowa OT Brandon Scherff to eventually "land at right tackle."

"Another tackle who could start his NFL career as a dominant guard, though I suspect he'll land at right tackle," Kiper wrote, ranking Scherff as his No. 9 overall prospect. "Overall, he is dominant in the run game -- the guy who will just try to drive a defender into the parking lot -- and has made strides as a pass-blocker. I've said before that he can be better in pass protection, but he is pretty good, just not super nimble. He is the best run-blocker in the class, along with La'el Collins. Scherff uses a powerful base and a powerful punch to jolt defenders, and he can move well and line up blocks in space." CBS Sports' Dane Brugler ranks Scherff No. 4 overall, but thinks the Hawkeye will be shifted to guard in the pros. This isn't the slap-in-the-face projection that it used to be: The NFL is wising up to the value of guards as means of preventing interior disruption, critical for an offense's success.
They could draft Scherff, find a way to keep Peterson around and move defenses off the line of scrimmage with a power running game while giving Teddy a chance to do his thing.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: They could draft Scherff, find a way to keep Peterson around and move defenses off the line of scrimmage with a power running game while giving Teddy a chance to do his thing.
Boom!

slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

positional flexibility is what i like about scherff and la'el collins. bring them in to lock down left guard in the short term while we see how kalil rebounds, and if necessary down the road we have guys who could play either tackle spot. but as much as i like them i hope we lock down our left guard in free agency.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman made his debut on Todd McShay's Big Board at No. 25.

"Perryman's Senior Bowl week was cut short due to an injury, but he flashed as the best linebacker in attendance when he was out there on the field," McShay wrote. "We've really liked what we've seen on tape of him so far, as he has very good instincts, closing burst and tackling ability." Perryman received a third-round projection from the advisory board last winter but elected to return to school. Good call. The 6-foot, 243-pounder (4.72 forty) may sneak into Round 1 in the spring.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman made his debut on Todd McShay's Big Board at No. 25.

"Perryman's Senior Bowl week was cut short due to an injury, but he flashed as the best linebacker in attendance when he was out there on the field," McShay wrote. "We've really liked what we've seen on tape of him so far, as he has very good instincts, closing burst and tackling ability." Perryman received a third-round projection from the advisory board last winter but elected to return to school. Good call. The 6-foot, 243-pounder (4.72 forty) may sneak into Round 1 in the spring.

How about Scherf or Cooper (or other top WR) at 11 and the classic "Ricker" of trading back into the bottom of the 1st Rd. to pick Perryman? I'd be happy with that upgrade, if Perryman is legit first round talent and we think he won't make it to our 2nd round pick.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

Texas Vike wrote:
How about Scherf or Cooper (or other top WR) at 11 and the classic "Ricker" of trading back into the bottom of the 1st Rd. to pick Perryman? I'd be happy with that upgrade, if Perryman is legit first round talent and we think he won't make it to our 2nd round pick.
cooper and perryman would be a dream scenario for me, especially if we land a left guard in free agency.