Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Demi wrote:Hope we don't spend another early pick on an offensive lineman.
:shock: be shocked if they did
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I'm getting a little too accustomed to Trader Rick's antics. I want to know which two first round studs we'll be getting. That's his MO.

Depending how the draft falls into place, at #11, we might see the next 9 guys as all having similar value, whereas someone might want to jump up to get a specific guy (top CB, top OG, Cooper if he falls). It would be nice to get a good prospect later in the first, and one of the top RB's with an extra pick in the second, for example.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jalen Collins - DB - Tigers

LSU's Jalen Collins, Michigan State's Trae Waynes, and UConn's Byron Jones could all benefit from the "several teams picking between No. 11 and No. 26 overall that could use a corner, including the Vikings, Saints and Ravens," according to ESPN's Todd McShay.

"Given the influx of talented receivers last year, and with another good class on the way, teams are starving for cornerbacks -- especially ones with size," McShay wrote. "Teams simply have to find guys with length and speed to match up with some of these guys, and they might be more inclined than in past years to take a chance on a corner early who might not have the polish and technique they're looking for, but who does have the natural tools needed to develop into a good NFL cornerback." As for Collins, he put himself firmly in the Round 1 discussion by clocking a 4.48 40-yard dash in Indy (9th amongst CBs), a 6.77 seconds in the 3-cone drill (2nd), a 10’4" broad jump (9th), and a 36" vertical (13th).
Source: ESPN Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IF AD isn't back (or possibly even if he is) what do you guys think of Tevin Coleman in round 2? I've been watching some more film of him and he looks like a stud. There are some analysts that think he could be the best in the draft.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

dead_poet wrote:IF AD isn't back (or possibly even if he is) what do you guys think of Tevin Coleman in round 2? I've been watching some more film of him and he looks like a stud. There are some analysts that think he could be the best in the draft.
I love him - I think he'll be a better pro than Gordon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

frosted wrote: I love him - I think he'll be a better pro than Gordon.

The only thing that concerns me is that, like Gordon, when I watch his highlight reel, all I see are runs where he flies through gigantic holes. I'm more impressed by the O-line of Indiana (and Wisconsin) and/or not impressed by the run defense of the Big 10 than I am by the backs. They are both fast and shifty and both can throw a wicked stiff arm, but I have to wonder how well they will transition to the NFL where they won't see those kinds of holes. Just my (very) amateur take.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Texas Vike wrote:
The only thing that concerns me is that, like Gordon, when I watch his highlight reel, all I see are runs where he flies through gigantic holes. I'm more impressed by the O-line of Indiana (and Wisconsin) and/or not impressed by the run defense of the Big 10 than I am by the backs. They are both fast and shifty and both can throw a wicked stiff arm, but I have to wonder how well they will transition to the NFL where they won't see those kinds of holes. Just my (very) amateur take.
A valid concern - we've seen it with Wisco backs before too.

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
I agree...Gordon also runs like the nail, not the hammer. That's troubling at the next level.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:
I agree...Gordon also runs like the nail, not the hammer. That's troubling at the next level.
The more I think about it, the more I hope things work out with AD. I think with a more solid line, a LB, a WR and a CB we can fight for the division. If we acquire and maintain talent intelligently this offseason, I see no reason that we can't be in the running next season.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote: The more I think about it, the more I hope things work out with AD. I think with a more solid line, a LB, a WR and a CB we can fight for the division. If we acquire and maintain talent intelligently this offseason, I see no reason that we can't be in the running next season.
Same. And not to scoff at the idea of another wideout, but a healthy Rudolph with AD in the backfield would really help the passing game with what they currently have....given that they all have some experience together with TB to build on.
The division is a realistic goal if a couple of pieces fall into place.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: Same. And not to scoff at the idea of another wideout, but a healthy Rudolph with AD in the backfield would really help the passing game with what they currently have....given that they all have some experience together with TB to build on.
The division is a realistic goal if a couple of pieces fall into place.
With how deep the WR class is said to be this year, I'd be great with a LB or LG at 11 and a WR in the 2nd. Maybe Spielman can make some magic with that extra 5th (first pick in the 5th) too.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I guess what they do during the FA period will fill in some blanks. Either way, along with a guard, I'd like to see another swing guy on the line. Injuries on the line and in the defensive backfield concern me. I'd love to get one of the better wideouts but I won't begrudge them if they do differently.

The run D is a big issue for me giving how the Packers have shored up their run game. I have yet to see anything definitive about what our problem has been...is it at the tackles or LB? Both? Hopefully it's more to do with experience in the scheme.

If there is a guy who is a game changer @11, I would hope they grab him regardless of position (except RB if they retain AD)
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

The Breeze wrote:I guess what they do during the FA period will fill in some blanks. Either way, along with a guard, I'd like to see another swing guy on the line. Injuries on the line and in the defensive backfield concern me. I'd love to get one of the better wideouts but I won't begrudge them if they do differently.

The run D is a big issue for me giving how the Packers have shored up their run game. I have yet to see anything definitive about what our problem has been...is it at the tackles or LB? Both? Hopefully it's more to do with experience in the scheme.

If there is a guy who is a game changer @11, I would hope they grab him regardless of position (except RB if they retain AD)
To my eye, there were a few issues. A lack of defensive line depth led to a poor job by the ends and tackles (particularly Joseph and Robison) against the run. Also, LB play was very inconsistent at times. I like Greenway, but I think he was an issue at times, as was Brinkley. Hodges acquitted himself nicely throughout the year, but there were times he could have been better. I thought Barr was decent in that department.

I also feel like a bigger box safety would help our run defense quite a bit.

I think pre-snap alignment/positioning had a lot to do with it, so more experience in the scheme would almost certainly help with that.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Frosted
Thanks for that analysis....
My gut says that run defense is mostly a matter of committment and discipline assuming the talent is there. I don't think they have the horses at LB to lock things down over the long haul. Greenway was hampered by injury but his age is a reality, and Jasper is just not starting caliber IMO. This has been said repeatedly here.
I feel the line will improve in that area this year. It takes discipline in this division to not just sell out for the QB every down. As much as Cutler is inconsistant, he sure throttles the Vikes....and he's the least worriesome of the 3 QBs.
I would love a bone crushing safety to pair with Smith and a guy in the middle who can cover up backs and TE on 3rd downs.

Those two spots would really solidify this defense IMO. Hardly a revelation....but easier said than done I reckon.