Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:This is who the Vikes draft in four years, my 18 year old nephew who will transition to olb or safety in college. I am very proud of him, All State All Conference #44: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvowD7X-kU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERlYH3HtyM
Very cool! Tell the Vikes to keep a scout watching him. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:The issue to me isn't the 'drug' use, it is the fact that he knew the stuff is illegal, knew he was going to be tested, yet, he failed anyway. Big red flag.
Exactly. As they were saying on Mike & Mike the other day, he failed the "idiot test".
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Shaq Thompson - LB - Huskies

Washington LB Shaq Thompson is scheduled to visit the Vikings, according to Darren Wolfson.

This connection makes a lot of sense. In fact, we might narrow the Vikings' first-round selection down to linebacker or cornerback. Thompson surprisingly tested like an average athlete for the position at the Combine, but he is very fluid on the field and will stay in games for all three downs. Mike Zimmer found his strong side backer who can blitz in Anthony Barr last year. Thompson could fill the weakside spot and be a missile from the back side.
Source: Darren Wolfson on Twitter
So... is Shaq Thompson going to play linebacker or strong safety in the NFL? He would make sense at either position (especially for us). However, Thompson at 11 would be a reach.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: So... is Shaq Thompson going to play linebacker or strong safety in the NFL? He would make sense at either position (especially for us). However, Thompson at 11 would be a reach.
He's a 2nd round pick IMO.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings Mock Draft: Instant Contributors Minnesota Can Find in Every Round
Finding players who can make an impact right away in every round isn't easy, but by using CBS' player grades as a guide for finding out who will be available, we can begin to drill down what our options look like.
Round Two: OL Ali Marpet, Hobart
Other guards projected to go in the second round, like South Carolina's A.J. Cann and Duke's Laken Tomlinson, have both exhibited similar flaws to Marpet, but with less physical upside and more consistent failures. Marpet's biggest issue is the limited tape he has against higher levels of competition, but what he does provide in any workout or on any tape is a surprisingly refined player with strength and speed.

That's definitely worth a second-round pick, and he should be able to slot into the Vikings' left guard slot immediately, even with some issues to work out.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2413 ... very-round
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kevin Johnson - DB - Demon Deacons

ESPN's Steve Muench could see a scenario where the 49ers reach for Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson at No. 15.

Scouts Inc. grades Johnson as the No. 3 CB in the class and the 27th overall prospect, but Muench believes San Francisco might be compelled to reach for him anyway if the board falls a certain way due to the team's desperation to add help on the defensive outside. "At 6 feet, 188 pounds, Johnson is a quick learner with the football acumen to digest defensive coordinator Eric Mangini's game plans and the cover skills to make a push for immediate playing time on the outside," Muench wrote. "He's also got the ball skills and aggressive nature to develop into a playmaker, which is worth mentioning because Cox and Culliver combined to pick off nine passes last year."
Source: ESPN Insider

---
Marcus Peters - DB - Huskies

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Washington CB Marcus Peters as the No. 5 CB in the class.

Zierlein compares Peters to Aqib Talib. "Talented cover cornerback with size, ball skills and the confidence NFL teams are looking for, but lacks the necessary discipline and maturity on the field and in practice," Zierlein wrote. "Peters has raw talent, but is far from a polished cornerback, and that is without taking the character concerns into consideration." Peters, who considers Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch a mentor, was dismissed from Washington last year over multiple issues with the coaching staff.
Source: NFL.com

---
Byron Jones - DB - Huskies
UConn CB Byron Jones "doesn't show great instincts in man coverage, and he gets caught guessing a little too much, but there's no denying his natural ability," wrote ESPN's Steve Muench.

The analyst believes Jones could be a Day 2 target of the 49ers if they don't take a corner in Round 1. "At 6-foot-1, 199 pounds, he has above-average fluidity and quick hips for a taller corner," Muench wrote. "While he didn't run at the NFL combine, he plays fast on tape and his speed isn't the only reason he's so rangy. He has long arms and rare leaping ability. Add in above-average ball skills and Jones' ceiling is awfully high." Scouts Inc. gives Jones a grade of 84. "The 47th-ranked player on our board, it will be interesting to see if a team falls in love with Jones' natural ability and takes a chance on him late in the first round," Muench wrote. "He would be an excellent value-need pick if he slides to San Francisco." Jones' stock surged after the combine, when his 12 foot, 3 inch broad jump would have broken the world record.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score grades Louisville WR DeVante Parker as the No. 9 receiver in the class.

The system offered Bryant Johnson and Peter Warrick as similar historical prospects. "Parker has been playing college football for a full four years, and he has never topped 1,000 yards receiving," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "It's not as if he had a weak supporting cast, either: As a junior, he had the benefit of catching passes from first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater at his pre-NFL peak. A future starting NFL wide receiver should have put up video-game-like numbers in those conditions, but Parker produced only 885 yards. Parker put up some nice per-game numbers as a senior after returning from an early injury, but if he had the talent level of a Julio Jones, he would already be in the NFL." NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects Parker as a Michael Crabtree-like "complementary" receiver in the NFL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I'm guessing with the addition of Wallace (man, I hope he doesnt turn into another BB) WR wont be our #1 pick. Guard, LB or tackle. Scherff wouldnt be bad a bad pick, but he played more tackle then guard. A CB wouldnt surprise me either.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I'm guessing with the addition of Wallace (man, I hope he doesnt turn into another BB) WR wont be our #1 pick...

I initially thought that too. I'm not so sure anymore. Wallace is going to turn 29 before this season, he's had a disappointing last few years and is needing to reestablish himself as a top WR, and his contract is easily dumped. They obviously like Charles Johnson but he still hasn't proven much. Patterson has had two wildly different years, so there's no clue what they're going get from him. If a guy they like is there it's not a hard case to make to take a WR.

The truth is, the Vikes are at a place where they can take any of the top 12-15 prospects(aside from a QB) and it'll be justified. Which is why I've just about given up trying to figure out who they'll take.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pseudo Everything wrote: The Vikings have had some experience taking guys who failed their drug test at the combine, most notably Percy Harvin. Havin has been a head case in the NFL ... but not THAT kind of head case.

We also drafted Christan Ballard in the 4th round in 2011 after he failed his drug test at the combine. Had a promising future and then just suddenly decided to quit football but it didn't have anything to do with drug use.
I think testing positive at the combine demonstrates a lack of discipline and commitment and while it may not be the CAUSE of Percy or Ballard's problems, I think it is a sign that these guys are just not right in the head. I see it as symptomatic of underlying personality issues--failing the "idiot test" is a horrible way to start your NFL career; I'd steer clear of that type of player in round one.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

My current wish list, in order:

Scherf
Cooper
Waynes

All three would start day one and upgrade our team hugely.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

From Peter King:
You want to pick in the top nine. Here’s what a few football people who were at the league meetings are thinking about the breakdown of this draft: Nine prime picks, then eight or 10 really good prospects, then maybe 30 or so of the same-level player. The top nine: quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, defensive tackle Leonard Williams, wideouts Kevin White and Amari Cooper, pass-rushers Dante Fowler and Vic Beasley, offensive tackle Brandon Scherff and cornerback Trae Waynes. After that, beauty starts to be in the eye of the beholder. I had one GM tell me: “The 17th pick on our board might be the 53rd pick on another team’s board—and that could be a team we really respect.”
I'd love to move down in this draft.

The wild card is Marcus Mariota. I'm seeing a wide disparity in where he lands from guys who I view as credible mockers; several have him out of the top 10. On the other hand he seems like a reasonable pick for the Titans at #2, Jets at #6, and Rams at #10 (assuming the Bucs take Winston #1). Even the Bears at #7 would be an outside possibility.

If Mariota somehow falls out of the top 10 and is on the board at #11 what are the chances we get a decent trade offer from someone wanting to move up and take him? Possible candidates: Browns at #12, Texans at #16, Chargers at #17 and Eagles at #20.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pseudo Everything wrote:From Peter King: I'd love to move down in this draft.

The wild card is Marcus Mariota. I'm seeing a wide disparity in where he lands from guys who I view as credible mockers; several have him out of the top 10. On the other hand he seems like a reasonable pick for the Titans at #2, Jets at #6, and Rams at #10 (assuming the Bucs take Winston #1). Even the Bears at #7 would be an outside possibility.

If Mariota somehow falls out of the top 10 and is on the board at #11 what are the chances we get a decent trade offer from someone wanting to move up and take him? Possible candidates: Browns at #12, Texans at #16, Chargers at #17 and Eagles at #20.
Really interesting scenario that could very well happen. I also found the quote you posted to be really interesting: it confirms my list of choices; I just hope one of my three is available.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pseudo Everything wrote:From Peter King: I'd love to move down in this draft.

I don't see a starting QB in this draft and I hope Winston and Mariota both go in the top 10. BUT, If the Bucs don't take him Winston could see quite a slide in my opinion. Even round 2? I could also easily see Mariota not being selected until the eagles are on the clock.

It seems to me there should be an impact player available at at least one position of need come the 11th pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Texas Vike wrote:My current wish list, in order:

Scherf
Cooper
Waynes

All three would start day one and upgrade our team hugely.
You want Scherf for guard or you think we need a tackle with our first pick?