Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by dead_poet »

Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos

A "number of teams" have red flagged Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee when reviewing medical checks, according to Tony Pauline.

Thee knee injury (which was described as "shredded") occurred during an attempted theft when Ajayi was 18 years old after just moving to the U.S. for football. Beat writer Chadd Cripe once said "The injury on the field was so bad that coaches wondered if he'd recover." Pauline's report is worth keeping in mind during draft weekend, especially if Ajayi stays on the board longer than expected.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

---
Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos

ESPN's K.C. Joyner reports that Boise State's Jay Ajayi and Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon were the only two RBs in college football to make opposing tacklers miss at least 60 tackles last year.

No other back had even 50. Ajayi also tied for fifth nationally in broken tackles (16), ranked second in red-zone rushing yards (299) and first in red-zone rushing touchdowns (25). "Add in his superb passing-game ability (Scouts Inc. gave him a "1" rating here that designates exceptional performance in this area) and it equals a back who could provide a huge shot in the arm for an NFL offense in 2015," Joyner wrote.
Source: ESPN Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos

A "number of teams" have red flagged Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee when reviewing medical checks, according to Tony Pauline.

Thee knee injury (which was described as "shredded") occurred during an attempted theft when Ajayi was 18 years old after just moving to the U.S. for football. Beat writer Chadd Cripe once said "The injury on the field was so bad that coaches wondered if he'd recover." Pauline's report is worth keeping in mind during draft weekend, especially if Ajayi stays on the board longer than expected.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

---
Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos

ESPN's K.C. Joyner reports that Boise State's Jay Ajayi and Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon were the only two RBs in college football to make opposing tacklers miss at least 60 tackles last year.

No other back had even 50. Ajayi also tied for fifth nationally in broken tackles (16), ranked second in red-zone rushing yards (299) and first in red-zone rushing touchdowns (25). "Add in his superb passing-game ability (Scouts Inc. gave him a "1" rating here that designates exceptional performance in this area) and it equals a back who could provide a huge shot in the arm for an NFL offense in 2015," Joyner wrote.

1. Thanks for all the draft info DP, I've enjoyed reading them.

2. I don't know what to make of that first bit of info, though. If the injury occurred when he was 18, why is it still a concern? Did he reinjure it on the field during his time at Boise St.? Is this simply subterfuge by some teams, hoping to get him to slide?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

1. Thanks for all the draft info DP, I've enjoyed reading them.
No problem!
2. I don't know what to make of that first bit of info, though. If the injury occurred when he was 18, why is it still a concern? Did he reinjure it on the field during his time at Boise St.? Is this simply subterfuge by some teams, hoping to get him to slide?
We're in the midst of lying season. It happened awhile ago and it didn't seem to hinder him much last year if you look at the second post on him I put up. But it's something to factor in.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@danpompei 10. Randy Gregory’s failed marijuana test not the only issue. Heard he recently weighed below 230 on a team visit.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Vikings could take Georgia RB Todd Gurley in Round 1 if they trade Adrian Peterson prior to the draft.

"If you lose a running back, I'm going to go ahead and replace him with a running back in Todd Gurley," Jeremiah said. "He is a special talent and one of the best running backs we've seen come into the league in quite some time. I'd take him right here at No. 11 and plug him in to watch him and Teddy Bridgewater grow on offense together as the future of this football team." Jeremiah ranks Gurley No. 12 player overall, right around the Vikings' No. 11 pick. Jeremiah sees Minnesota drafting offense in that slot even if they don't take a runner. "DeVante Parker and you are making high fives with that selection," he said. "Reunites him with Teddy Bridgewater and you saw how effective they were together (at Louisville)."
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... odd-gurley
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL Draft Truth or Hype: Louisville WR DeVante Parker

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... nte-parker
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laken Tomlinson - G - Blue Devils

Duke OG Laken Tomlinson "has developed into a quality guard who can move and is physical at the point of attack," according to CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"Duke threw a lot, which helped him develop as a pass protector," Prisco wrote. Tomlinson, of course, moved to the U.S. from Jamaica at age 10, acclimating to the game late. He's made up for lost time and is one of this year's best guard prospects. Tomlinson was a first-team A.P. All-American and first-team All-ACC honoree last year.
Source: CBS Sports

---
Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman "could be a victim of the fact that the NFL is becoming increasingly pass-happy," writes CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

If you like your linebackers old school, you're going to love Perryman. If your defense requires a new-agey athlete, perhaps not, as the analyst outlines. "As Perryman's somewhat pedestrian 40-yard dash time indicates, he isn't an elite athlete and can be victimized in coverage," Rang wrote. "He is one of the few linebackers in this year's class, however, who isn't afraid to take on blockers and Perryman consistently wins these battles, showing impressive instincts, strength and toughness."

---
Eric Rowe - DB - Utes

Utah DB Eric Rowe "has the tools to be a Pro Bowl-caliber safety on the next level," wrote CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"In a league where teams are looking for safeties with range, this kid is it," Prisco wrote. "He can make the move inside and really flourish." Rowe shifted to corner last season after playing safety his first three years. TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline recently reported that "quite possibly no defensive back is moving up draft boards faster" than Rowe.

---
Shane Ray - DL - Tigers

Pro Football Focus senior analyst Steve Palazzolo, Football Outsiders and an analytics director all told ESPN's Mike Sando that Missouri edge rusher Shane Ray was "ranked too high based on several factors."

Ray did acquit himself well in College Football Focus' scouting, but Palazzolo indicated his lack of agility hurts projections. "There are concerns with him translating like Vic Beasley and [Dante] Fowler, who we see as better," he said. FO's SackSEER projection pegged Ray as higher-risk prospect than Fowler and hauntingly compared him to Vernon Gholston (Ray finished his college career with only one pass defensed). Football Outsiders also hated Ray's 7.7-second time in the 3-cone drill, 12th-worst in SackSeer's data.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Alvin Dupree - DL - Wildcats

Kentucky edge player Bud Dupree "might offer the most intriguing combination of size and explosiveness and therefore, upside," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"For all of the attention heaped upon edge rushers Dante Fowler, Jr. (Florida), Vic Beasley (Clemson), Randy Gregory (Nebraska) and Shane Ray (Missouri) among others, Dupree might offer the most intriguing combination of size and explosiveness and therefore, upside," Rang wrote. Dupree's explosiveness, power and raw athleticism should have coaches excited to work with him, at the next level. The Kentucky prospect finished second on the Wildcats in tackles with 74, with 12.5 tackles for loss in 2014.

---
Damarious Randall - DB - Sun Devils

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that Arizona State Damarious Randall is visiting with the New York Giants on Monday.

With the absence of Antrel Rolle through free agency, the Giants are looking to find a possible replacement via the draft. The Arizona State prospect, offers the Giants a prospect who shows some range and has good ball skills. The 5-foot-11, 196-pound Randall posted 106 tackles, two forced fumbles and three interceptions last season, earning first-team All-Pac-12 honors in 2014. Randall should probably hear his name called in the second round of the draft.
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@LanceZierlein Based on what I've heard, P Dawson will not be 1st ILB off draft board, M.Morse is shooting up boards & K.Johnson goes ahead of J.Collins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There are SO many possibilities...thanks for all the info and updates, dead_poet.

If the Vikes took Daniel Jeremiah's suggestion and drafted Gurley at #11, that would certainly shake things up.

I should probably watch some film of Dupree at some point. The more I read about him, the more I find myself wondering if he's a "Zimmer guy".
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Something to think about for all those Landon Collins' fans (of which I am not one, at least not in the first-round):
Josh has studied seven games of Collins and believes the Crimson Tide defender is a fourth-round talent.
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/03/22/rs ... n-collins/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:There are SO many possibilities...thanks for all the info and updates, dead_poet.
Happy to be of service.
If the Vikes took Daniel Jeremiah's suggestion and drafted Gurley at #11, that would certainly shake things up.
Indeed. I'm really warming up to the idea, though it'd be interesting how that would complicate the AD situation if AD was still on the roster. I assume that wouldn't go over well with him and his value at that point in a trade that would already be deflated might be deflated a bit more if teams think the Vikings might ultimately cut him. OR Rick may take a second-rounder before the start of Day 2. If both Gurley and Gordon were off the board by 32, I wonder if that might give him a bit more leverage from a team that really thought they'd be able to get one of them (or one of the other top backs that end up going higher in R2 because if this).
I should probably watch some film of Dupree at some point. The more I read about him, the more I find myself wondering if he's a "Zimmer guy".
He feels like one. Big, athletic guy with one of the fastest first steps by a defensive end I've seen in a long time. Problem is as good as he is off the ball, he can't quite bend like Beasley and often is out of the play because he can't quite turn the corner. Not a lot of pass rush moves either and can't disengage well yet. But you should watch some film of him. There's quite a bit to like. He's an explosive (some numbers show more explosive potential than Jadeveon Clowney), but raw talent. Feels like the defensive end equivalent of Barr.

Said analyst Charles Davis:
Dupree lined up as both a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB at Kentucky, where the coaching staff attempted to leverage his superior talent by playing him all over the place. It's possible, as Davis postulates, that such shifts stunted his development a bit. "The big concern that comes up with Dupree -- whether watching tape or talking to evaluators -- is a lack of consistency," Davis wrote. "Is he more than just a flash player?"
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@LanceZierlein also said that Melvin and Gurley are both likely to go in the first, said he wouldn't be surprised if Gurley went 8 to ATL
@LanceZierlein says on http://sports790.com that Shane Ray will need surgery on foot, 5 months recovery. "Could drop out of first"
@LanceZierlein further says that Randy Gregory should drop more than people have generally been dropping him. Could also fall out.
@LanceZierlein says #Vikings "love" DeVante Parker.
@LanceZierlein says on http://sports790.com that #Browns want to trade up for Danny Shelton
@LanceZierlein says CB Marcus Peters is a lock for the first round. Lance says teams haven't really scratched him for character.
@LanceZierlein says CB Kevin Johnson will go top 20
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Trae Waynes - DB - Spartans

Pro Football Focus senior analyst Steve Palazzolo says Michigan State CB Trae Waynes "struggles with change of direction."

College Football Focus charting agrees with the opinion. Palazzolo pointed out that Waynes' 40-yard time was faster than his 20-yard shuttle. "It was interesting to see the numbers back up what we saw on tape," he said. Waynes surrendered 14.9 yards per completion last year, per CFF charting, and posted three interceptions and three passes defensed, not stellar showings. "His coverage grade was average," wrote Mike Sando.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@LesBowen Damarious Randall from Arizona State is "by far the best cover safety" in the draft, Mike Mayock says, and will be the first safety drafted.