Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by Purple bruise »

This is who the Vikes draft in four years, my 18 year old nephew who will transition to olb or safety in college. I am very proud of him, All State All Conference #44: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvowD7X-kU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERlYH3HtyM
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Nice video. I love how after every play he just walks back to the huddle like "Yeah, I do this all the time. Time for the next play."
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Purple bruise wrote:This is who the Vikes draft in four years, my 18 year old nephew who will transition to olb or safety in college. I am very proud of him, All State All Conference #44: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvowD7X-kU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERlYH3HtyM
Nice! I like his motor! I didn't watch all of it but from what I watched I would be glad to have him in purple. You must be a proud uncle. :thumbsup:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Nice! I like his motor! I didn't watch all of it but from what I watched I would be glad to have him in purple. You must be a proud uncle. :thumbsup:
That would be very cool. And I am very proud of him. :)

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff recorded a 7.07 three-cone time at the school's pro day.

Scherff also produced a 4.41 20 yard short shuttle. He ran neither at the Combine. The 7.07 would have been good for second best at the Combine since 2006. Just for fun, Scherff's 3-cone time was faster than WR Jamison Crowder, Dezmin Lewis and just .01 slower than Chris Conley's.
Source: Hawkeye Football

---

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff doesn't care what position he plays in the NFL.

He worked out at both guard and tackle at the school's pro day on Monday in Iowa City. "[Teams] just asked me which one I preferred, I just said, 'Wherever you play me, I'll play that,'" Scherff said. Scherff "is the best OL prospect I have seen in 2015 and it may not be real close," Bob Sturm of the Dallas Morning News recently wrote.
Source: Marc Morehouse on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
flatman
Waterboy

Post by flatman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We need so many players BPA should work. If Cooper, Parker or White are within our reach (and we don't break the bank on white) that's the no brainer. NO WAY do we go high pick on RB if AD is back even a few years. If hes gone, then no RB under rd 3 or later (unless Gorden falls in our lap, Id pass on acl Gurley. Then its BPA on Oline, DBs, and LBs.
So are you saying Todd Gurley won't be the same after his injury?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@RosenhausSports Breshad Perriman just ran a 4.26 forty at the UCF Pro Day. Incredible
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff recorded a 7.07 three-cone time at the school's pro day.

Scherff also produced a 4.41 20 yard short shuttle. He ran neither at the Combine. The 7.07 would have been good for second best at the Combine since 2006. Just for fun, Scherff's 3-cone time was faster than WR Jamison Crowder, Dezmin Lewis and just .01 slower than Chris Conley's.
Source: Hawkeye Football

---

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff doesn't care what position he plays in the NFL.

He worked out at both guard and tackle at the school's pro day on Monday in Iowa City. "[Teams] just asked me which one I preferred, I just said, 'Wherever you play me, I'll play that,'" Scherff said. Scherff "is the best OL prospect I have seen in 2015 and it may not be real close," Bob Sturm of the Dallas Morning News recently wrote.
Source: Marc Morehouse on Twitter
Well, that is what Iowa's Zone Blocking scheme calls for: athletic linemen. Scherff is a hell of an athlete. Trust me...

Also, the comparison to Robert Gallery that people are trying to make (not so much on this board) isn't warranted. Gallery and Scherff are polar opposite players and athletes.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Just read that Randy Gregory failed his drug test at the combine(weed). Anybody interested if he falls to 11?

Sorry I can't post the story/link, I'm on my iPod. It's in NFL.com
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

nightowl wrote:Just read that Randy Gregory failed his drug test at the combine(weed). Anybody interested if he falls to 11?
That depends a lot on his priorities. I mean, he couldn't pass a test he knew was coming months in advance? The last thing you want to do is waste a first-rounder on a guy that could be the next Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon and while he said weed is no longer a priority as it was and seems to understand that it could jeopardize his NFL career, it seems like it's been an ongoing issue.
"I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke," Gregory told Kimberly Jones. "It's not a struggle for me every day (now), it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been. Now, I'm focused on my dream."
I also worry about schematic fit as he seems to be more of a fit as a 3-4 OLB. He's also raw and lanky (dropped to 218 after the season). I think we may already have him in Barr. He's already said he likes playing LB more and I think he'd struggle to stay at 250 lbs. Per National Football Post Greg Gabriel:
At that size, he will never be able to play as a 4-3 end," Gabriel wrote. "His narrow frame will not allow for much growth potential. Another concern is durability, as he has missed some time with injuries."
That said, an NFL scout called him "better than Ziggy Ansah," and NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Gregory is a better prospect than 2014 No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney. If we drafted him I think Zimmer would know how to best use him. He doesn't seem like one of the "safer" picks at that spot (Cooper, Scherff) but perhaps one with more upside.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: That depends a lot on his priorities. I mean, he couldn't pass a test he knew was coming months in advance? The last thing you want to do is waste a first-rounder on a guy that could be the next Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon and while he said weed is no longer a priority as it was and seems to understand that it could jeopardize his NFL career, it seems like it's been an ongoing issue.
I also worry about schematic fit as he seems to be more of a fit as a 3-4 OLB. He's also raw and lanky (dropped to 218 after the season). I think we may already have him in Barr. He's already said he likes playing LB more and I think he'd struggle to stay at 250 lbs. Per National Football Post Greg Gabriel:
That said, an NFL scout called him "better than Ziggy Ansah," and NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Gregory is a better prospect than 2014 No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney. If we drafted him I think Zimmer would know how to best use him. He doesn't seem like one of the "safer" picks at that spot (Cooper, Scherff) but perhaps one with more upside.
Big red flag. I would not touch this guy and I bet he will drop quite a few spots because of his stupidity.

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: That depends a lot on his priorities. I mean, he couldn't pass a test he knew was coming months in advance? The last thing you want to do is waste a first-rounder on a guy that could be the next Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon and while he said weed is no longer a priority as it was and seems to understand that it could jeopardize his NFL career, it seems like it's been an ongoing issue.
I haven't thought highly of Gregory personally and this just confirms that I would be hesitant to draft him if I were in the position to do so.

The issue to me isn't the 'drug' use, it is the fact that he knew the stuff is illegal, knew he was going to be tested, yet, he failed anyway. Big red flag.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Re: Randy Gregory and his failed drug test

It's surprising just how many players fail their drug test at the combine when they have months to get clean and stay clean. I'm not sure if it is necessarily a good predictor of future behavior though.

Justin Houston tested positive for weed in 2011. He's been clean since (well ... probably better stated he's at least learned how to not test positive since then). He has developed into an elite edge rusher who is line to make some serious coin. He went in the 3rd round. Not sure where he was projected to go and how much his failed test impacted where he went in the draft.

Lots of other players who also had failed drug tests at the combine who went on to play in the NFL without being suspended for drug use. Warren Sapp is probably the guy who had the best career in the NFL after failing his drug test.

The Vikings have had some experience taking guys who failed their drug test at the combine, most notably Percy Harvin. Havin has been a head case in the NFL ... but not THAT kind of head case.

We also drafted Christan Ballard in the 4th round in 2011 after he failed his drug test at the combine. Had a promising future and then just suddenly decided to quit football but it didn't have anything to do with drug use.

And then there's Vontaze Burfict who tested positive for weed at the combine and had a host of other problems. He went undrafted. But Zimmer had good results with him in Cincy and he's been clean since entering the league.

Would we take Gregory if he is still on the board at #11? I wouldn't necessarily rule it out solely because of his failed drug test.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Shaq Thompson - LB - Huskies

Washington LB Shaq Thompson is scheduled to visit the Vikings, according to Darren Wolfson.

This connection makes a lot of sense. In fact, we might narrow the Vikings' first-round selection down to linebacker or cornerback. Thompson surprisingly tested like an average athlete for the position at the Combine, but he is very fluid on the field and will stay in games for all three downs. Mike Zimmer found his strong side backer who can blitz in Anthony Barr last year. Thompson could fill the weakside spot and be a missile from the back side.
Source: Darren Wolfson on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings Draft Stock Watch: 13 Players Rising and Falling on Minnesota's Board

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2411 ... otas-board