View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm



Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Who do we draft? 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
Worth a read.

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft

Quote:
"This is it," he said. "I've got five, I don't have 10. I don't have six. This is the five, and then there is everybody else."


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft



So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)


Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:17 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
Combine star Byron Jones jumps high, far while staying grounded

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... broad-jump

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Who do we draft?
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Worth a read.

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft

Quote:
"This is it," he said. "I've got five, I don't have 10. I don't have six. This is the five, and then there is everybody else."


http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft



So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)


Shane Ray.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 am
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
Posts: 359
Post Re: Who do we draft?
I agree with many and do not want Trae Waynes as many posted before.
I would love a Vic Beasley, maybe not the ideal fit? But tremendous player.
He gives another pass rusher, but with the speed could be like Barr. He allow a ton of flexibility to jump into a 3-4 but makes a very creative, athletic, attacking defense.
In actuality, I hope we trade down and accumulate picks.
I love doing mock drafts with multiple 2nd rders. I think that there is a ton of value there this year.

Maybe an idea, trade AD to Oakland for their 2nd and their CB DJ Hayden.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Who do we draft?
fiestavike wrote:
So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)


Shane Ray.[/quote]

Wow, I must have been sleepy this morning. I completely overlooked his name on that list when i skimmed the article. Yes, I'd say he's the logical answer to the question at this point, although i was leaning toward White.

I just always find the idea of "can't miss" players in the draft amusing, since there's clearly no such thing.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.


Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:35 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.


Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.


If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:


Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.


Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.


If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:


Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:59 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Post Re: Who do we draft?
If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?

_________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
Quote:
@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
cmoss84 wrote:
If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?


Gregory I guess.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.


In all seriousness, I don't think he is far and away the best corner in the draft but I do think he's a legitimate first round prospect and a good potential fit for the Vikes defense. I feel there's a bit of over-analysis going on with him as the draft draws near. There are shortcomings in his game but I don't think they undermine his strengths to the degree that he should fall all the way out of the first round.

I just can't resist making wisecracks about PFF. :)


Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:36 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10728
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.


Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.


It does have the familiar ring of a Chris Cook type player. Sadly, I think it sounds a bit like Josh Robinson too.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:39 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2898
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD
That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.


Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:33 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
DK Sweets wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD
That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.


It sounds like Collins was nowhere near the incident and is not a suspect. But yeah, rough.

Oh, but congratulations!

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.


Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.


It does have the familiar ring of a Chris Cook type player. Sadly, I think it sounds a bit like Josh Robinson too.


I'm not as down on Robinson. He had some flashes last year, and flashes of some consistency (outside of Chicago). He may never be a premiere corner but I think he could be a solid backup on the outside with improved play and another year of coaching from Zimmer.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 am
Profile
Backup

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 92
Post Re: Who do we draft?
The player I really hope we take is Beasley. Now, it seems like he isn't a great fit, and we have a similar type player in Barr. So I think the chances we take Beasley are low. But say we do take him. That means we have a plan for how to fit Barr and Beasley into the defense. And that is a scary thought. If I somehow had the power to decide the Vikings pick, I wouldn't take him because of the fit, but I do hope our guys who know they are doing take him. I hope that makes sense.


Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Who do we draft?
kurtkeoki wrote:
The player I really hope we take is Beasley. Now, it seems like he isn't a great fit, and we have a similar type player in Barr. So I think the chances we take Beasley are low. But say we do take him. That means we have a plan for how to fit Barr and Beasley into the defense. And that is a scary thought. If I somehow had the power to decide the Vikings pick, I wouldn't take him because of the fit, but I do hope our guys who know they are doing take him. I hope that makes sense.


Makes total sense to me. I get the sense that a lot of us have a good amount of faith in Zimmer as a coach, especially on the defense, and that he has a very clear picture of what he needs in player attributes to most successfully run his system. I agree that Beasley, if drafted, would indicate that Zim has a plan and I would trust in that plan. In that scenario, I'd anticipate all kinds of complicated blitz packages and, in general, a D that is hard to read for opposing QBs and O Coordinators.


Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10728
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
I'm not as down on Robinson. He had some flashes last year, and flashes of some consistency (outside of Chicago). He may never be a premiere corner but I think he could be a solid backup on the outside with improved play and another year of coaching from Zimmer.


That Chicago game was brutal, both from the manhandling he received and also from the coaches leaving him out there to get abused over, and over, and over...

I can get on board with him being a solid backup, it's a shame he can't play slot. At least to this point in his career anyway.


Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23723
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Who do we draft?
2015 NFL Draft: Make room for Duke's Laken Tomlinson

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/30/8 ... -breakdown

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.