View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Who do we draft? 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: Who do we draft?
dead_poet wrote:
Worth a read.

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft

Quote:
"This is it," he said. "I've got five, I don't have 10. I don't have six. This is the five, and then there is everybody else."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft

So, which one of the 5 "can't miss" players will end up being a miss? ;)

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:17 am
Commissioner

Combine star Byron Jones jumps high, far while staying grounded

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... broad-jump

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Worth a read.

There are only five can't-miss players in the 2015 NFL Draft

Quote:
"This is it," he said. "I've got five, I don't have 10. I don't have six. This is the five, and then there is everybody else."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -nfl-draft

Shane Ray.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 am
Transition Player

I agree with many and do not want Trae Waynes as many posted before.
I would love a Vic Beasley, maybe not the ideal fit? But tremendous player.
He gives another pass rusher, but with the speed could be like Barr. He allow a ton of flexibility to jump into a 3-4 but makes a very creative, athletic, attacking defense.
In actuality, I hope we trade down and accumulate picks.
I love doing mock drafts with multiple 2nd rders. I think that there is a ton of value there this year.

Maybe an idea, trade AD to Oakland for their 2nd and their CB DJ Hayden.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:

Shane Ray.[/quote]

Wow, I must have been sleepy this morning. I completely overlooked his name on that list when i skimmed the article. Yes, I'd say he's the logical answer to the question at this point, although i was leaning toward White.

I just always find the idea of "can't miss" players in the draft amusing, since there's clearly no such thing.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am
Commissioner

PFF/CFF comes out against Waynes in R1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... waynes-cb/

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.

Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:35 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:

Quote:
The player most people seem to have at the top of their boards at the position is Michigan State’s Trae Waynes but, as you’ll know if you have seen our mock draft either here or on the PFF “Grading the Draft” show on NBC Sports, we wouldn’t draft him in the first round. That’s going to surprise a lot of people, especially given how fast he looks on the field, so let’s break down why he doesn’t crack the first round for us.

Summary: Fast straight-line speed, poor change-of-direction, poor defending intermediate routes, poor concentration, ball identification, play recognition, awareness. Maybe I just have Chris Cook flashbacks but I hope we pass.

If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

If PFF feels that strongly that he's not a first round talent, that bodes well for Waynes' future! :twisted:

Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:59 pm
Backup

If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm
Commissioner

cmoss84 wrote:
If Ray and Gregory are there at 11 and you HAD TO pick one of them, who would it be? Flip a coin?

Gregory I guess.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Ha! I figured you'd roll your eyes at that. But it's yet another opinion that Waynes may not be the far and away best corner in the draft.

In all seriousness, I don't think he is far and away the best corner in the draft but I do think he's a legitimate first round prospect and a good potential fit for the Vikes defense. I feel there's a bit of over-analysis going on with him as the draft draws near. There are shortcomings in his game but I don't think they undermine his strengths to the degree that he should fall all the way out of the first round.

I just can't resist making wisecracks about PFF. :)

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:36 pm
Fenrir

dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

It does have the familiar ring of a Chris Cook type player. Sadly, I think it sounds a bit like Josh Robinson too.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:39 pm
Career Elite Player

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter Police are seeking to question LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant... http://fb.me/6CURsNgdD
That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:33 am
Commissioner

DK Sweets wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
That's incredibly sad to hear. Maybe it's just because my first child is on the way, but that really #### on my morning.

It sounds like Collins was nowhere near the incident and is not a suspect. But yeah, rough.

Oh, but congratulations!

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am
Commissioner

S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

It does have the familiar ring of a Chris Cook type player. Sadly, I think it sounds a bit like Josh Robinson too.

I'm not as down on Robinson. He had some flashes last year, and flashes of some consistency (outside of Chicago). He may never be a premiere corner but I think he could be a solid backup on the outside with improved play and another year of coaching from Zimmer.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 am
Backup

The player I really hope we take is Beasley. Now, it seems like he isn't a great fit, and we have a similar type player in Barr. So I think the chances we take Beasley are low. But say we do take him. That means we have a plan for how to fit Barr and Beasley into the defense. And that is a scary thought. If I somehow had the power to decide the Vikings pick, I wouldn't take him because of the fit, but I do hope our guys who know they are doing take him. I hope that makes sense.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

kurtkeoki wrote:
The player I really hope we take is Beasley. Now, it seems like he isn't a great fit, and we have a similar type player in Barr. So I think the chances we take Beasley are low. But say we do take him. That means we have a plan for how to fit Barr and Beasley into the defense. And that is a scary thought. If I somehow had the power to decide the Vikings pick, I wouldn't take him because of the fit, but I do hope our guys who know they are doing take him. I hope that makes sense.

Makes total sense to me. I get the sense that a lot of us have a good amount of faith in Zimmer as a coach, especially on the defense, and that he has a very clear picture of what he needs in player attributes to most successfully run his system. I agree that Beasley, if drafted, would indicate that Zim has a plan and I would trust in that plan. In that scenario, I'd anticipate all kinds of complicated blitz packages and, in general, a D that is hard to read for opposing QBs and O Coordinators.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am
Fenrir

dead_poet wrote:
I'm not as down on Robinson. He had some flashes last year, and flashes of some consistency (outside of Chicago). He may never be a premiere corner but I think he could be a solid backup on the outside with improved play and another year of coaching from Zimmer.

That Chicago game was brutal, both from the manhandling he received and also from the coaches leaving him out there to get abused over, and over, and over...

I can get on board with him being a solid backup, it's a shame he can't play slot. At least to this point in his career anyway.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 pm
Commissioner

2015 NFL Draft: Make room for Duke's Laken Tomlinson

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/30/8 ... -breakdown

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12