Small-School Spotlight

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Small-School Spotlight

Post by Mothman »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:S Jimmie Ward (Northern Illinois)

NFL.com Draft Projection: Rounds 6-7

Coming from a small school and being undersized may have Jimmie Ward flying a bit under the radar as the draft approaches. But those who’ve flipped on the film or have seen Ward play in person understand the spotlight is never too bright for this charismatic cat.
During his career at Northern Illinois, Ward helped the program to unprecedented success. A four-year contributor and three-year starter, Ward and the Huskies went 46-10 overall and 31-1 in conference play from 2010-13, including four trips to the MAC Championship Game with two victories. Overall, Ward was a three-time First-Team All-MAC selection and in 2013 was a Third-Team All-American. He tallied 300 tackles and 11 interceptions in three seasons as a starter, and as a freshman in 2010 he set a school record with three blocked punts.
The 2013 Huskies defense led the MAC in interceptions, was second in rushing defense, tied for second in turnovers forced and third in opponents 3rd down conversions.

NFL.com’s scouting profile on Ward describes him as an aggressive run supporter who has good short-area burst, breaks and closes on throws well and is all over the field. He is also characterized as confident and energetic, and the profile cites special teams experience, including those four blocked punts, as a plus.

The drawbacks for Ward begin with size. Listed at 5-11, 193 pounds, Ward’s profile on NFL.com says he’s built more like a corner than a safety and needs to add bulk because he has trouble discarding blockers. It also states he lacks elite top-end speed and can be stiff in his hips, which results in some man-coverage limitations.

Ward was a standout at this year’s Senior Bowl. Following Senior Bowl week, here is how I summarized Ward’s performance:

“A versatile defender who played both cornerback and safety at Northern Illinois, Ward looked good all week at safety for the North team. His best traits are his physical nature in coverage and in support of the run, plus either a quick first step or quick diagnosis. I would have to study game tape of his to make a determination on which one it is, but either way Ward is quick to get to the ball because of one (or both) of these traits
:rock: :rock: :rock:

I love Ward's game. He's a smart, instinctive football player. I think he's going to do well in the NFL.

Go Huskies!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Posting Off Site Articles

If you post an article or story from another news site, your post should include a link to the original website the article came from. Posting of entire articles will not be permitted. Please only post a small portion of the article along with a link to the full and original article. This is due to copyright infringement requirements. Full articles will be edited or deleted. Please avoid articles or links to articles from paid subscription sites, as most users will not be able to access them.
http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... 12&t=20204

Apparently our mods have forgotten this little rule, heh heh heh. :D But, seriously, I think copying and pasting pages worth of articles is a big no-no. :nono:

Here is the link:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/S ... cc6f41c777
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Move over mods, the new sheriff is in town :shock:
:lol: Dang right, but you're still not getting it. But, okay. Tried to help, but I have no desire to babysit you through it, especially since you "don't care."

You could try reading past the first sentence of the rule, though. That might give you a better understanding. You could look at how others do it, as well, for guidance.

...that is, of course, if you ever decide to care. :D I guess I care more about copyright/plagiarism issues than the average person.