View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:28 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
I gave this it's own thread instead of putting it in the college QB thread because the author deals with more than just the QB position:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... vikin.html

Quote:
The options are many at pick No. 8, but most of the pieces that could help the Vikings most grade out lower in the first round. The franchise's valuation of quarterbacks will go a long way toward defining early draft strategy, whether they enamored with one of the big three or content to use an early pick on Carr.

Only time will tell, but that won’t stop us from laying out educated guesses. Here are five players Minnesota could consider at pick No. 8, in our predicted order of top priority:



The 5 players are:
Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

There's a paragraph or so about each of them.


Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7961
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
It's interesting that he has Sammy Watkins slipping to #8 but not Bridgewater or Bortles. I've seen plenty of mocks with those situations happening ... more so than with Watkins it seems like.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
Cliff wrote:
It's interesting that he has Sammy Watkins slipping to #8 but not Bridgewater or Bortles. I've seen plenty of mocks with those situations happening ... more so than with Watkins it seems like.


It's interesting but I think it's clear that nobody has a clue what will happen. :) They have a pretty good idea who the top 5-10 players are and that they'll probably go in the top 5-10 slots but beyond that, I don't think they have any idea who will go off the board and in what order.


Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
Why would the draft Zack Martin? Unless its to play G and in that case I don't like using a Top 10 pick on a G.



That was the idea in the article: they would draft him to become a guard.


Last edited by Mothman on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 am
Posts: 1653
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
Martin is a huge reach at 8
Watkins and Mack are great options who likely won't be available.
I'd punch a hole through my tv if we reached for Derek Carr.

JFB is the only player on this list I would even consider at 8

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:23 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10512
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
saint33 wrote:
Martin is a huge reach at 8
Watkins and Mack are great options who likely won't be available.
I'd punch a hole through my tv if we reached for Derek Carr.

JFB is the only player on this list I would even consider at 8


Looks like we both might be shopping for tv's come May. Maybe we can get a group deal?


Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
S197 wrote:
saint33 wrote:
Martin is a huge reach at 8
Watkins and Mack are great options who likely won't be available.
I'd punch a hole through my tv if we reached for Derek Carr.

JFB is the only player on this list I would even consider at 8


Looks like we both might be shopping for tv's come May. Maybe we can get a group deal?



Maybe Oakland will save us and take Carr ahead of us? They sent their whole team to go watch his pro day, even the ball boys and cheerleaders went. :lol:


Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:44 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
Texas Vike wrote:
S197 wrote:
saint33 wrote:
Martin is a huge reach at 8
Watkins and Mack are great options who likely won't be available.
I'd punch a hole through my tv if we reached for Derek Carr.

JFB is the only player on this list I would even consider at 8


Looks like we both might be shopping for tv's come May. Maybe we can get a group deal?



Maybe Oakland will save us and take Carr ahead of us? They sent their whole team to go watch his pro day, even the ball boys and cheerleaders went. :lol:


I think that is called "Car" shopping :lol:

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:03 am
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Vikings could face quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick
Quote:
Martin is a huge reach at 8


The safest though.


Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.