Ron Jaworski talks about Manziel

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Ron Jaworski talks about Manziel

Post by Texas Vike »

Laserman wrote:Unless a team is dream reaching, I think manziel will slide down in the draft much like Brady Quinn, Aaron Rogers, Geno Smith, ect ect did. Too many lucky plays looked at by analyst as "Playmaking" against inferior College players just simply won't happen in the nfl. I wouldn't draft him and build a franchise around this guy
Lucky plays? Honestly, how many Aggies' games did you watch in the last two seasons?
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Texas Vike wrote: Lucky plays? Honestly, how many Aggies' games did you watch in the last two seasons?

I've watched about 5 Texas A&M games
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Laserman wrote:
I've watched about 5 Texas A&M games

Then you should know that there are only so many times that you can chalk up someone's success to luck. At some point you have to attribute it to skill.

Manziel's game might not translate to the NFL; but to say his success on the college level, playing in the most competitive conference, was due to luck is a weak assessment IMO.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Chadiha thinks JFB should be the top pick in the draft and addresses Jaws' take head on:
And if Manziel really is overrated, he wouldn't have someone like former Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboys head coach Barry Switzer talking about how he'd never seen a player dominate college football as Manziel did over the past two seasons.

Switzer's comments drive home the most important point concerning Manziel right now: He's the most dynamic signal-caller in this class. With all due respect to ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski — who recently claimed that early film study led him to believe Manziel wasn't worth a pick in the first three rounds — playing quarterback in the league these days isn't just about dominating from the pocket any more. It's about making plays out of nothing, when all hell is breaking loose around you.
I can't think of another player who has provoked such varied takes on his stock.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/ ... texans-man
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Chadiha thinks JFB should be the top pick in the draft and addresses Jaws' take head on:
I can't think of another player who has provoked such varied takes on his stock.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/ ... texans-man
It's the battle of fantastic production vs. measurables and conventional thinking. It's pretty interesting, especially because nobody really has any idea how it will all turn out.

On a side note, I have to say that I get tired of reading comments from the sports media like "playing quarterback in the league these days isn't just about dominating from the pocket any more. It's about making plays out of nothing, when all hell is breaking loose around you", as if that represents some sort of change. Tarkenton was doing what he describes 40 years ago and plenty of QBs have done it since. We've been hearing about running, scrambling QBs changing the way the game is played for decades now. It's not new.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Texas Vike wrote:Chadiha thinks JFB should be the top pick in the draft and addresses Jaws' take head on:
Wasn't it Switzer that also said Manziel is an arrogant little pr!ck? Also that he doesn't care for his antics, and that Manziel has embarrassed himself, his teammates, his program, etc.? Things like that are why people might shy away from him, especially at the beginning of the first round. I didn't read the article, but did Chadiha conveniently leave all that out when discussing Switzer's opinions? Did he just pick out the good stuff that supported his argument? Kind of a lot to leave out when we are talking about the "top pick."
Last edited by Funkytown on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote: Wasn't it Switzer that also said Manziel is an arrogant little pr!ck? Also that he doesn't care for his antics, and that Manziel has embarrassed himself, his teammates, his program, etc.? Things like that are why people might shy away from him, especially at the beginning of the first round. I didn't read the article, but did Chadiha conveniently leave all that out when discussing Switzer's opinions?
The article wasn't about Switzer's opinions. Chadiha just used one of those opinions to reinforce his view that Manziel is worth drafting at #1. He didn't ignore the questions about JFB's character though.

Here's another take on Manziel from Kevin Siefert:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... gic-in-nfl
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: The article wasn't about Switzer's opinions. Chadiha just used one of those opinions to reinforce his view that Manziel is worth drafting at #1.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

But those comments were part of an article titled "Barry Switzer calls Johnny Manziel an arrogant little pr!ck". Wouldn't those comments by Switzer probably go against someone being drafted #1? Either way, I figured that's what he did. As I said, convenient, but I'm sure everyone does it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Here's another take on Manziel from Kevin Siefert:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... gic-in-nfl
Interesting take. Even though i think it's a pretty solid piece from Seifert, I don't get the sense that he's watched much SEC football though. This line gave it away:
Most important, Wilson demonstrated in his final college season that he could excel as a pocket passer. Manziel struggled in that regard against SEC schools such as LSU and Missouri last season, requiring far more projection work than should be necessary for the No. 1 overall pick.
Did Manziel struggle against those two SEC schools? Yes. But he also excelled against MANY others, including various top 10 teams.

Also, Wilson did not impact college ball like JFB did. Not even close.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Texas Vike wrote:I hope Manziel dives down the boards and we snag him in the 2nd. He already plays w/ a chip on his shoulder. That kind of disrespect would light a TX sized flame under his back side.
If he somehow would drop into the second (not a chance in hell) the Vikes maybe could move up a few spots into the earlier part of round two and draft him. That would be awesome.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.