Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - ESPN survey of 51 anonymous NFL players finds 86 percent would be OK having a gay teammate
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... ncaab.html
A group of Missouri students formed a human wall outside Mizzou Arena on Saturday in support of Michael Sam.

The students were attempting to block from view members of Westboro Baptist who were in town protesting against the outpouring of support for former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, who announced he was gay earlier this month.
Wow. Yeah, these people could get super annoying for an NFL team and its fans.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why would you cheer for him over any other kid out there that's trying to make it in the NFL as a LB/DE? That's what I don't get. All this talk about it, and just not here. Like he is something special. And hes not. Heck, half the people don't even know what position he will play. But because he said he likes guys, lets all wish him the best! I just don't get it.

Why is there anything wrong with cheering for him? People cheer for different players for a million different reasons, being the first openly gay player is certainly no less a reason than any other. If you only cheer for players for their ability on the field, sports fans as a whole would be a ongoing circus of bandwagon jumping.

To cheer for a kid who was bold enough to openly admit something about himself that has never been done before in professional sports is hardly a bad reason. As the first gay player to play in the NFL, his success in the NFL could be a major first step in changing the views of many on the existence of homosexuals in sports. Hoping for him to do well is a way of supporting a change to a more diverse culture in the NFL and sports.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - ESPN survey of 51 anonymous NFL players finds 86 percent would be OK having a gay teammate
Like they are going to say no and then get labeled as bigots and homophobes.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Like they are going to say no and then get labeled as bigots and homophobes.

it was anonymous
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:
Why is there anything wrong with cheering for him? People cheer for different players for a million different reasons, being the first openly gay player is certainly no less a reason than any other. If you only cheer for players for their ability on the field, sports fans as a whole would be a ongoing circus of bandwagon jumping.

To cheer for a kid who was bold enough to openly admit something about himself that has never been done before in professional sports is hardly a bad reason. As the first gay player to play in the NFL, his success in the NFL could be a major first step in changing the views of many on the existence of homosexuals in sports. Hoping for him to do well is a way of supporting a change to a more diverse culture in the NFL and sports.
Wtf does being gay have to do with playing football? Did the NFL outlaw it? Its not like he is handicap and had the personal strength to overcome it and still be a player owners wanted (not just as some sort of mascot for their team, ie, look I have the first gay kid coming into the NFL). I am just so sick of this story. Most people couldn't care less about who is gay or who isn't. Is it a story is some straight white guy makes the team? OFC not. So why does sexuality matter, other then to push a few peoples agendas? Do you really think, if this kid can play, people are going to say, 'wow, look at that gay guy tackle!' OFC they wont, because hes a football player to then. They aernt watching the NFL to see anything but a good game.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:
it was anonymous
Oh wow that's awesome.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wtf does being gay have to do with playing football? Did the NFL outlaw it? Its not like he is handicap and had the personal strength to overcome it and still be a player owners wanted (not just as some sort of mascot for their team, ie, look I have the first gay kid coming into the NFL). I am just so sick of this story. Most people couldn't care less about who is gay or who isn't. Is it a story is some straight white guy makes the team? OFC not. So why does sexuality matter, other then to push a few peoples agendas? Do you really think, if this kid can play, people are going to say, 'wow, look at that gay guy tackle!' OFC they wont, because hes a football player to then. They aernt watching the NFL to see anything but a good game.

Obviously it doesn't matter to you. That's fine. It matters to other people. Like say current or future homosexual players who are afraid to come out in fear that it will impact their careers. Sports and the NFL in particular have a very negative association with homophobia, so the first openly gay player is a big deal. It's an image issue, and the success of the first openly gay player will bring a more positive light to an issue that has surrounded the league. Again whether that matters to you or not is up to you. But others aren't going to see it the way you do and I don't see why you should care whether other people care or not.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Oh wow that's awesome.
Well that eliminates the whole being labeled as bigots issue, does it not? 14% of the players that took the survey said they would not be ok with it, and yet they are not being labeled as bigots..... It is the point of casting an anonymous survey
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

sporting fan bases cheer on people for various reasons. I think most of American was cheering for Favre when he played on MNF the day after his Dad died. Michael Sam is an openly gay NFL prospect and it's something that has never happened before. People will be against it and that's why people will "root for him".
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

NextQuestion wrote:sporting fan bases cheer on people for various reasons. I think most of American was cheering for Favre when he played on MNF the day after his Dad died. Michael Sam is an openly gay NFL prospect and it's something that has never happened before. People will be against it and that's why people will "root for him".
Unless ofc he gets drafted just because hes gay. Not really fair to the rest of the guys that tried out. But as long as the 'bigger' issue got force feed to us, that's all that matters. Not that all the straight guys rights were violated. I guess I will be among the few wondering why the lone gay guy, whose performance on the field is sub par, got the job. And he cant be let go, or he will pull a Kluwe. Or maybe he will excel and be a great NFL player, and none of this will matter.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Unless ofc he gets drafted just because hes gay.
Not going to happen.
Not really fair to the rest of the guys that tried out. But as long as the 'bigger' issue got force feed to us, that's all that matters. Not that all the straight guys rights were violated.
Straight guys' rights...violated...? How?
I guess I will be among the few wondering why the lone gay guy, whose performance on the field is sub par, got the job. And he cant be let go, or he will pull a Kluwe.
We have a few of those players on the Vikings defense. Are they gay, too?

What about Sam reminds you of Kluwe? Why do people assume he would "pull a Kluwe"?
Or maybe he will excel and be a great NFL player, and none of this will matter.
Hopefully that is the case.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

LOL how do you know its not going to happen? because the NFL is so righteous?

Straight guys would be all the other guys that didn't get a chance to play because a GM, or owner didn't want the stigma of not drafting someone that was gay. You don't think that will happen? Because the world is perfect and people only do just things? No ulterior motives?

I think your too young to remember affirmative action, but it was only meant to last a certain amount of time. No one thought it was meant to be a new law last as long as it did. Its was the right idea, but it was handled the wrong way. Now, its the very definition of what discrimination is. But at its time, it was to protect minorities from ignorant people that literally wouldn't hire based on the color of someone skin. That's what I see this whole 'coming out' thing to be.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

I'm sorry, the idea of "drafting Michael Sam just because he is gay" does not make sense to me.

As far as "other straight guys" not getting a fair chance because, basically, they aren't the new, shiny gay guy, that doesn't make sense either.

Some things just go against common sense. That's all.

Also, there are plenty of "chances" to go around in the NFL, especially for the straight guys. I'm surprised you are so concerned about straight rights. :D This is new.

But, really, the straight guys will be treated fairly. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think it's rather clear that this thread has degraded well past talking about football and has crossed quite squarely into the :nono: zone of politics, religion, etc. For these reasons, I'm closing the thread. Should Michael Sam be drafted by the Vikings, we'll start up a new thread but while some of this discussion is interesting, this is not the forum for it, per board rules.