Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by Funkytown »

King James wrote:Apparently you and a few other here are homosexual. Because only homosexuals think straight couples and gay couples are the same. We are not the same.

No, you see, in case you missed it, I was just using your own logic. You don't like it? Me neither.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Superman wrote:
Accepting homosexuality isn't edgy, trendy, or PC. It's just loving your fellow human beings.[/quote]

I can have love for someone without accepting and supporting the entirety of their actions and choices. Nor do I have to judge them or have an opinion at all, which is ideal. The problem arises when it is no longer adequate to just lack an opinion, or say "none of my business", as it is quickly becoming. Even the tone of your posts imply that there are only two options: accept and support that individual, or hate and condemn them... Which is NOT the case at all.[/quote]

I've seen example sentences on here saying "I love him/her despite they're alcoholic or they're an adulterer". Those are actions that are viewed bad in society. One is a disease that sticks with you, and one is morally bad. Being a homosexual isn't a bad thing.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: Just curious, what examples would you point to to support this claim?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... ted_States
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

fiestavike wrote: Just curious, what examples would you point to to support this claim?
Not trying to be sarcastic, but this is probably one of the bigger hate crimes of the last twenty years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

King James wrote:
Are you stupid? I said homosexuality is spreading like a virus because of how it's becoming more popular among people. I did not say you can catch a virus by being homosexual. You and Melanie are really something. :lol: :lol:

Homosexuality is not becoming more popular. It is a genetic trait that has existed in human beings as well as every other mammal species (as well as many others) on earth since we existed.

The term you are looking for is accepted. It is not any more or less popular, it is more accepted, and thus more cases of individuals whom are homosexual are more willing to be open about it than in the past, when homosexuals were discriminated, segregated and abused for the way they were.

As for your quote about some of the members of this board being gay, because no straight person should think being gay is ok, well I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's just not true. I'm sorry about the way you have been raised, as you are extremely ignorant, narrow minded and stubborn when it comes to this issue.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Speculation or fact? What?
Fact. Gays can't reproduce correct?????
We're all human beings who deserved to be treated with respect. I must be a homosexual.
Probably and the fact that you have a shirtless, wet Chris Kluwe as your avatar. Pretty suspect IMO. And I know you only did it to retaliate to my avi of Priefer. I guess I have that kind of power.

You should come to the church by my house. They have a rainbow flag out front and use the slogan "we welcome all families". Perhaps, and this is a crazy thought, do some research and you'll see there are tons of churches who support GLBT people and GLBTs believe in God/Jesus. I'm Jewish and I don't believe in Jesus. I'm straight too. GASP
Any church who supports homosexuality does not worship Jesus Christ. Yes gays are welcomed to come to church but for a church to openly support homosexuality like it's OKAY, not that aint the type of church for me.

Again, got anything to back this up? You should perhaps really look into what you're typing before you hit "post". This couldn't be any less accurate.
This was more of observation of gays around my area.
Yeah, because I'm sure he's dying to get close to you. You seem like such a compassionate person! Oh, I forgot...you're not homophobic! :rofl: :rofl:

It's not because I thought he was trying to hit on me. It's the way he talked, walked, and dress. As if he were a woman. I don't like that at all. Men aren't suppose to act that way.

You sir...dearly need some guidance in controlling your hate for fellow human beings.[/quote]
You are confusing dislike with hate.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I'm not trying to convince you that homoeroticism is wrong, I just want to encourage a more sensible and civil discussion than what is going on here-and in this country and the western world-, which is pretty pathetic on both sides frankly. Imagine, if you can, that you believe someone is doing real damage to their spiritual self through fornication, adultery, homoeroticism, etc. I know this will likely require you to use some imagination and empathy but put yourself into the shoes of one who believes that these acts spiritually harm those who commit them. Is it really difficult to see how you could disapprove of that act specifically because you love the individual committing it? In fact, the more you love that individual the more you might object to the spiritual harm they are doing to themselves. This is pretty easy to see isn't it? Why denigrate your "opposition" when it is really very easy to understand that they are frequently approaching a sensitive issue with love and care and compassion and doing the best they can to deal with it? You may find their philosophical or theological opinions without merit, in which case it is really more sensible to discuss those issues rather than leaping ahead to homosexuality in particular.
I guess I don't really understand your point here. If I may...The more you love someone, the more you may not like their decisions? I was merely arguing the point made "accepting homosexuality is edgy", which I found to be just a weird thing to say.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Funkytown wrote:
No, you see, in case you missed it, I was just using your own logic. You don't like it? Me neither.
You're using your own logic to mislead people on what im trying to say. I said homosexuality is not the same. You said it is because it's the same love but with a different gender. That's not what Im getting at. I compared homosexuality to incest and bestiality because I think all 3 are gross. Obviously heterosexuality is not gross otherwise none of us would be here.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:Yes, I have seen this before, but many/most of these are at best questionably motivated by homophobia/are hate crimes.
You paint a very broad brush with that statement as many, MANY of these hate crimes were directly the cause of the victim's homosexuality.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

[/quote]as it happens in that particular case, it was not a hate crime
http://www.advocate.com/print-issue/cur ... ?page=full[/quote]

I don't know if I totally agree that this still wasn't a "hate" crime even after reading that.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

King James wrote: Fact. Gays can't reproduce correct?????
Incorrect, gays can and do reproduce. They cannot reproduce with each other, but that does not stop them from having the ability to reproduce. Straight men and women who are sterile cannot reproduce either, does this make them immoral? Surrogates exist. Adoption exists.

It's not because I thought he was trying to hit on me. It's the way he talked, walked, and dress. As if he were a woman. I don't like that at all. Men aren't suppose to act that way.
And who are you to decide how men or women are supposed to act? Because they don't act the way you act, or the way you were raised, or the way you believe is "right" that makes them immoral? Is it then also immoral to believe in different religions than you? Or to not believe in any religion at all?

as for the rest of your post, ignorance really is bliss I guess
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

fiestavike wrote: Yes, I have seen this before, but many/most of these are at best questionably motivated by homophobia/are hate crimes.

I condemn absolutely any violence against a person for being a homosexual but this is essentially just a list of violence committed against people who ARE homosexual. In terms of bullying and harassment within schools I think there has a been a real problem and I'm not sure of a good solution within the context of the school system.
the same could be said about violence against Black people or any other minority.
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

NextQuestion wrote: Accepting homosexuality isn't edgy, trendy, or PC. It's just loving your fellow human beings.

I can have love for someone without accepting and supporting the entirety of their actions and choices. Nor do I have to judge them or have an opinion at all, which is ideal. The problem arises when it is no longer adequate to just lack an opinion, or say "none of my business", as it is quickly becoming. Even the tone of your posts imply that there are only two options: accept and support that individual, or hate and condemn them... Which is NOT the case at all.[/quote]

I've seen example sentences on here saying "I love him/her despite they're alcoholic or they're an adulterer". Those are actions that are viewed bad in society. One is a disease that sticks with you, and one is morally bad. Being a homosexual isn't a bad thing.[/quote]

Not sure what that has to do with what "I" said, but I'll bite and sway topics with you. Some would disagree that homosexuality is not a bad thing, just as some disapprove of a vegetarian diet. I am a Christian, and choose to opt out of judging others (as best I can, I'm only human) which falls in accordance with what God has called us to do anyway, to judge not. But because my relationship with God is so important to me, I willfully choose not to accept and support homosexuality... But let's not mistake this with the hatred or condemnation of those who do. I feel as though many of you (and EVERY writer on nfl.com) are making that absent connection, conveniently. I also do not believe someone is born gay (and we can do the nature /nurture thing all day), but I don't feel as though stressed S's, a knack for interior design, or sexual attraction is a biological or inherited trait. I like brunette's with brown eyes, but not because I have the (hot for brunette's) gene, it because Jennifer Love Hewitt was my first Hollywood crush growing up and I've kind of subconsciously set her as a standard. (To much info? Probably)
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

King James wrote: That's not what Im getting at. I compared homosexuality to incest and bestiality because I think all 3 are gross.
Oh, I thought you were trying to be logical and form some sort of argument. I'm sorry. Makes sense now. Link them all because "they're gross." That's pretty solid. Good work.