Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote: I'm not sure how you are making the leap to the idea that intelligence is somehow outside of genetics or environment.

Our degree of intelligence is the product of our genetics, first as a living entity, next as a human being generally, then as a human being compared to other human beings, and then environmentally, starting in the womb, and following on to every event, word, feeling, etc we experience.

Since there is no room for a divine imprint of the image and likeness of God within a secular worldview, the material is all that remains, and there is rationally no possibility of free will within this purely materialist worldview. Its merely an illusion. In fact, me typing these words was an inevitability since the moment I was first conceived if there is no God. And whatever you do next was also inevitable since the moment you were conceived if there is no God.
Interesting take, thanks!
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

dead_poet wrote:NFL players reactions

NFL Nation Says: Michael Sam

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ichael-sam
I like what Felton had to say in this article. Basically the biggest challenges he will face is the same ones that everyone faces. Gotta play well enough to even make the team. Nobodys contract is guaranteed.

I also believe that not a whole lot will change in the NFL, and why should it? I don't see this as much different than any of my co-workers coming out and saying hey Im gay. In general I would wonder why they are telling me, and outside of that, it would be business as usual.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Ah Cliff, you erased your post. Was about to tell you, that my girlfriend would love you.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

KSViking wrote:Ah Cliff, you erased your post. Was about to tell you, that my girlfriend would love you.
Yeah, it's so far off topic with the religion stuff that I didn't want to stir the pot any more. I considered making a post about it in the Vikings bar but I kind of get the feeling it would end up as an “agree to disagree” kind of conversation.

I fashion myself an amateur student of evolution and it’s hard for me pass up on the design conversation.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

NextQuestion wrote:If you did any reading on Hernandez, NE told him to stay out of trouble and he gets charged for murder and gets linked to a double murder. The deck is not in AH's favor and that's why Kraft and Belichick said "no way we keep him".

Ray Lewis was very lucky to keep playing and not get suspended. I find it funny that people like Lewis, Vick, Big Ben, Perish Cox, Chris Cook, etc are welcome with open arms but a gay player? Noooooooooooo

Hopefully King James punched a cat a cooled off from yesterday.
My point is that there will be players who support him, and there will be people who don't support him. Not all NFL players will look at it the way you look at it. As much as NFL teams like to cover up hazing it happens. And by Michael Sam being rookie he's going to get picked on like all the other rookies. One or two players might pick on him because he's gay. It's going to be a distraction because no NFL team has dealt with an openly gay player before like this.

I wish him a successful NFL career but I know it's some guys that are going to give him a hard time. That's not his fault but that's the way life is. Not everyone is going to like your lifestyle.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

King James wrote: My point is that there will be players who support him, and there will be people who don't support him. Not all NFL players will look at it the way you look at it. As much as NFL teams like to cover up hazing it happens. And by Michael Sam being rookie he's going to get picked on like all the other rookies. One or two players might pick on him because he's gay. It's going to be a distraction because no NFL team has dealt with an openly gay player before like this.

I wish him a successful NFL career but I know it's some guys that are going to give him a hard time. That's not his fault but that's the way life is. Not everyone is going to like your lifestyle.
I'm willing to bet the fans make it a bigger deal than any teammate.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Cliff wrote:
I'm willing to bet the fans make it a bigger deal than any teammate.
There was actually a segment on NFL AM where they were talking about how the attitude would be in the lockeroom if he were to step in. I can't remember the two players but both were like it would be mixed. You mature players who could probably overlook his sexual preference, then you have those immature players who might try to pick on him. A couple of players have already tweeted how they didn't agree with his views. Man I wish I could remember these players names but all I can tell you that it was on the NFL Network when I was watching it.

No doubt fans will blow it up but I think some players will make a big deal about it too. I don't know if one will be bigger than the other. But im willing to bet that whatever team he lands on, someone is going to get in trouble for harassing him.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Valhalla wrote:Sometimes I think the Christianity bashers should have their way, this pointless nonsense would have us bowing to Mecca 3 times a day and women having to wear hijabs and not even having the right to drive and would see millions starve that charities feed, atheists haven't brought anything to their fellowmen. But if they want to tout Margaret Sanger pushing their abortion values to the Ku Klux Klan, then let's listen to secularists. Planned Parenthood clinics targetting black neighborhoods and black women being 5 times more likely to abort, while some doctors dispose of babies already born as routine like Dr. Gosnell, I guess that's what their values are more about.
:wtf:

Ah yes, non-Christians are to blame for all the bad, and Christians are responsible for all the good.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Again, :wtf: Your randomness is...always interesting.

Christians don't get abortions, or what? Ever? What a crock.

I don't even get your point. You're being so simplistic about it: Christians good; Non-Christians bad. Oogah oogah.

If you must, how about placing blame on the individual, especially concerning very personal issues like abortion, not an entire group or organization? Try that.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

frosted21 wrote:Did you guys know..

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building?

Or that...

A hedgehog's heart beats 300 times a minute on average?
Wrong on both counts! See:

http://www.ask.com/question/how-many-ti ... per-minute; and
http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/sinking.asp

8) :P
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Valhalla wrote:Sometimes I think the Christianity bashers should have their way, this pointless nonsense would have us bowing to Mecca 3 times a day and women having to wear hijabs and not even having the right to drive and would see millions starve that charities feed, atheists haven't brought anything to their fellowmen. But if they want to tout Margaret Sanger pushing their abortion values to the Ku Klux Klan, then let's listen to secularists. Planned Parenthood clinics targetting black neighborhoods and black women being 5 times more likely to abort, while some doctors dispose of babies already born as routine like Dr. Gosnell, I guess that's what their values are more about.
That doesn't make any sense! You seem practically brainwashed to me! Atheists haven't done anything for man? Science is the reason we can affordably feed millions of people. Antibiotics and advanced discoveries in medicine are the reason billions of people throughout history are alive today or lived much longer than they would have. A lot of extremely important human inventions have come from Atheists, Agnostics, or at least not christians. Guys like Albert Einstein, who helped develop the Atom bomb which helped immensely for winning WW2, and if it wasn't for our science outpacing Hitlers we'd be saluting Berlin 3x a day! (lol see, I can do that too!) You guys are so quick to bring up secularism but the last time religion was truly in control, europe went through a 500 year period of stagnation and regression, often referred to as the dark ages.

Another thing that drives me nuts about you guys is how hypocritical you are about doing whatever you can in your power to make sure that baby gets born but AFTER that you couldn't give a crap about some "black" baby right? And I'm sure you complain to your friends / family every year about having to pay extra taxes for welfare and all that. So why would you fight so hard for a baby to be born, even if it's parents can't afford it, if you're so upset (and not very christian btw) about helping that family out via a welfare tax!

Oh what could have been!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

On Michael Sam announcing he's openly gay, Spielman thinks it's wrong if that impacts his draft status with an NFL team. "I know that we will make sure that our culture is created where he could fit in to our locker room" Spielman on if #Vikings pick Sam
@MasterStrib on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: @MasterStrib on Twitter
He better say that! :lol: I wonder if he is being sincere or just trying to make it look good.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Funkytown wrote:Again, :wtf: Your randomness is...always interesting.

Christians don't get abortions, or what? Ever? What a crock.

I don't even get your point. You're being so simplistic about it: Christians good; Non-Christians bad. Oogah oogah.

If you must, how about placing blame on the individual, especially concerning very personal issues like abortion, not an entire group or organization? Try that.
LOL how about you try that. I have never seen anyone make such broad blanket statements. You take one extreme remark, and then take it to the exact other extreme, as if that makes it right. Theres always a middle ground.