Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by Eli »

Mike Mayock seems to think he's best cast as a DE, although with less than ideal size, and doesn't see a linebacker who'd be very good in coverage. But he could be a decent special teams guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-rounder/

Just about the last thing the Vikings need. They need some linebackers who can cover the field.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

BGM wrote:The argument to stay away from Michael Sam because of the possibility of litigation if he gets cut is an absurdly weak argument. It hinges on the inaccurate characterization of a minority as avenging victim. Nothing in Michael Sam' s history points to that as a probability. He will rise or fall based upon his football ability. However, the insular nature of the NFL does not lend itself to change.

I find it ludicrous that locker rooms and meeting rooms create some k
ind of shield behind which employees may be treated ruinously by other players, coaches and management (verbal abuse, physical threats, the concussion scandal) as if they exist outside of social and workplace rules.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
Strangely, I find the football aspects of this situation so much more interesting than the sociological aspects.

Here's a guy who looks like a prototypical linebacker. And he has an exceptional motor as well as a recent history of being incredibly productive. That makes him sound like a first rounder.

However, he is undersized as a defensive lineman and doesn't appear to be fast enough to serve as a prototypical NFL edge rusher. Further, when he was given one -- let me repeat that, one -- chance at playing linebacker, he failed. So now he is being projected as situational edge rusher and special teamer who can't play linebacker.

Even if he were straight, I'd be riveted by this story. Is it that the guy has the assets to be an incredibly productive football player at football's second highest level (the SEC), but might not be able to play more than marginally at the highest level? Or that somehow, a guy with this incredible motor and nose for the football will somehow will his way to succeed at the highest level of his sport despite being both too "small" and "slow" to play the only position where he has excelled? Or is it possible that he can learn a new position -- the one for which his body is most suited -- and grow his skill set in order to excel at that position?

I'll be honest with you guys -- I'm just totally confused as to what the answer is. But for a real die-hard football fan, this is a fascinating story, and the sociological issues, which are fascinating in their own right, seem to be almost a distraction. Frankly, I'd wish him well whether he were gay or straight because I love to see these "tweeners" with the great motors succeed. I certainly prefer them to the "workout warriors" who weren't very productive on the field but look great at the combine.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

After the Kluwe fiasco (on going) why bring gasoline to the fire. There are a thousand other players that could be selected through the draft, free agency etc. without anymore headaches. This is one of the last things that a new coaching staff needs to be dealing with.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Why do gay athletes have to announce that their gay? Being gay has nothing to do with football. I don't want this dude on our football team, too much media attention to this team. It's like now, people are announcing that their gay because they know they have a better chance of getting hired due to organizations not wanting to be accused of discrimination. What a sad world we live in.. This is no longer country that our founding fathers built.

Soon many people will come out about having sex with animals and family members and it'll be considered normal to society. :confused:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

King James wrote: I don't want this dude on our football team, too much media attention to this team.
I ask again, what difference does media attention make? Plus, this is Minnesota. It's not like the media attention he'd be subject to in New York. Even then, has it been proven that media attention = losing football games? Isn't that what really matters at the end of the day? Say you're gay, say you're Mormon, say you're agnostic, whatever. The media will focus on it for awhile. Big deal. I contend it has nothing to do with on-the-field performance. Aren't people always complaining about how the media ignores or has some kind of bias against the Vikings? Well, then, this would be a way to get them talking about the team.
It's like now, people are announcing that their gay because they know they have a better chance of getting hired due to organizations not wanting to be accused of discrimination.
Yeah, that's why they do it. :roll:
What a sad world we live in.. This is no longer country that our founding fathers built.
Nope. We need those days where black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. Thems the good 'ol days!
Soon many people will come out about having sex with animals and family members and it'll be considered normal to society. :confused:
:roll:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Valhalla wrote: That's true, I thought of the bestiality angle as well.

Or BYU has been a football power, what if someone came out with Multiple-Wives as the Mormons use to have??

It is a slow news day to have this story.
:lol:

...Wait. Y'all are actually serious with this?!? :shock:

Ah yes, being gay is comparable to the crime of sex with animals. Good call.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Nope. We need those days where black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. Thems the good 'ol days!
Admit it: you long for the return of powdered wigs.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote:Is there any proof that a story is really that detrimental to an organization? Everybody's acting like because he'll get some press during training camp that it'll translate into losing games. Hey, remember that stupid story surrounding Te'o? We haven't heard a #### thing about that since, what, September? This will be a story from now until week 1 of the regular season. Honestly, who cares? If he's making tackles like a madman out there and doing his job well, what difference does it make?

I could care less about his sexuality. Can he play ball? Sure, homophobic guys in the locker room will be uncomfortable. Let them be uncomfortable. It's not like they won't perform on the field or be worried about the dude grabbing their butt in the huddle. His 20-year-old teammates at Missouri somehow handled it.
I think you make a lot of sense with this. I've seen/heard from multiple insiders, draft experts, former and current NFL players, coaches, GMs, etc. and the feedback has been mostly positive. And, actually, multiple teams have shown support.

But aside from all that, most speak highly of this kid both on and off the field. Pretty much everyone said this won't be a big deal once he is in the NFL. He's just a fourth-round prospect, and he's on defense. What's the big deal? Sure, the media will fuss about it for a while, but they'll get over it, especially when the games start...and he is just a 4th or 5th round pick. They actually compared it directly to the Te'o situation. As you shared, we haven't heard a PEEP about it.

They think he and his teammates will (or at least should) shoot down the media and tell them they are "only talking about football", and that seems like a great idea. Even Ryan Clark (Steelers) said people don't ask him or his teammates about his personal life and relationships, so they shouldn't with Sam.

Everyone says he is a great kid who is focused on football. He is someone who DOESN'T want to be a distraction. Also, many people said this was the most respectful thing for him to do--to do it now. Then, hopefully, it won't be much of a distraction later on as some are assuming. Pretty much everyone said the kid just needs to show up and play ball. The rest will die down. With that, people just need to treat him like a normal guy, because that is what he is--and that is what he wants.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Valhalla wrote:'d hardly call the good ol' days likewise modern day epidemics where thousands have died due to communicable diseases transmitted from unsafe sex practices and namely between the same sex.
What, exactly, is your point here?

FYI:
The Top Ten Myths About HIV/AIDS

Beginning to understand the challenges of HIV/AIDS starts by dealing with some of the common myths people tend to believe about the disease. Following are some of the myths and the actual facts about the disease.

1. HIV/AIDS is mostly a disease of homosexual men.

Primarily spread by heterosexual sex, HIV/AIDS now infects as many women as men worldwide. Although the disease was first recognized in the United States among gay men, it is also significantly spread among IV drug users. Internationally, it is more often a disease of heterosexuals.
http://www.apaa.ca/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=91
MYTH: HIV/AIDS is a gay disease.

REALITY: Anyone is susceptible to HIV/AIDS, regardless of their sexual orientation. Everyone is potentially at risk of getting HIV if they share needles or practice unsafe sex. Worldwide, HIV is spread most often through heterosexual contact.
http://depts.washington.edu/madclin/pat ... h_hiv.html
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=19039
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Admit it: you long for the return of powdered wigs.
I wear one as often as I can. It goes great with my tricorn hat.

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Valhalla wrote: So you are saying Homosexual Sex has never been a crime in any States? Really??

Good Call!
Ooooh. I knew someone would attack the "crime" part. I actually debated on taking that part out. Silly me.

So, let me rephrase this so you understand the true meaning of that last bit, because, honestly, there have been a lot of things that have been crimes in the past that are viewed as silly now. Sex with animals who cannot consent is probably not going to be one of them any time soon. Sorry.

But okay, you want to compare sexual acts between two consenting adults to sex with an animal? ...really? ...REALLY?!? No offense, but that is just ridiculous.

Why are we even talking about sex? Why, when people think of "gay", do they think of "gay sex"?!? Can someone answer me that? Now THAT is weird! I mean, do y'all get offended when these guys speak of their wives and girlfriends? When they show up with them and their kids at events? Do you go, "Eew. Keep that to yourself. Keep that in the bedroom. Why do I need to know you're straight?! You are a football player only! I only need to know your football life. You shouldn't have a personal one!"???
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Can we please stay on topic and discuss this subject purely as it relates to football?
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

16th ranked DE in the draft with all the media crap that will come with him? No thanks. If his "choice" of lifestyle is no big deal than I have to wonder WHY he made a big deal about it by announcing it to the world before the draft. My guess is to try to up his draft status
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Valhalla wrote:Check out the law Thomas Jefferson drafted on "Sodomites" in the military.
You mean the same Thomas Jefferson that was one of the wealthiest slave owners in all of Virginia and who opposed freeing slaves? Yes, let's follow his moral compass.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote:Can we please stay on topic and discuss this subject purely as it relates to football?
Yes! Yes we can! I hope Sam gets drafted and plays well. I have yet to hear a bad thing about this kid. He's the type I love to root for. I don't know much about college football, but most people say he's a good football player who plays with that intensity that they look for. I hope (and think) he will be given a fair shot. I understand why this has to be talked about, because it IS history, but, honestly, this just gets me a little more excited for the draft. This definitely adds to my curiosity. I'm ready for May, for the warmth AND the NFL draft. :D