Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

King James wrote:You've comprehended nothing I typed.
You don't make it easy! :o

At any rate, there's no common ground to be found here, so I'm done.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Let's continue talking about football then. I know nothing about this Michael Sam guy. All I know is he played for Missouri. When Auburn played Missouri at the SEC championship, we kicked their ####. Didn't hear his name mention once. So what is his draft projection? Some are saying 2nd round, some are saying 4th and 5th round. The latter sounds more realistic.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Weird. Don't the mods sometimes participate in these talks? They're into foolish drama too, huh? Like the rest of us?

Why not just ignore this thread if it's so annoying? Contributing faces and complaints is helping...how?
Hopefully by making it clear that some of us are frustrated by the off topic conversation and by eventually, in some small way, helping to get the thread back on topic. It's also cathartic. :)

I'm not ignoring the thread because I'm interested in the aspect of the story that actually pertains to football. When I check in, I'm hoping to see someone posting something interesting about that aspect of the story.

Believe me, if I had the authority to just move the thread myself, I'd do it.
Last edited by Mothman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Weird. Don't the mods sometimes participate in these talks? They're into foolish drama too, huh? Like the rest of us?

Why not just ignore this thread if it's so annoying? Contributing faces and complaints is helping...how?[/quote]

As I suggested Ms Funk, take it to the Bar it is not Viking related. But thanks for your imput i will stick it where the rest has gone.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

King James wrote:Let's continue talking about football then. I know nothing about this Michael Sam guy. All I know is he played for Missouri. When Auburn played Missouri at the SEC championship, we kicked their ####. Didn't hear his name mention once. So what is his draft projection? Some are saying 2nd round, some are saying 4th and 5th round. The latter sounds more realistic.
2nd is probably too high. Most I read was 3rd prior to the announcement.
12/26/13 - CBSSPORTS.COM ALL-AMERICANS: FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE AS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS: DE - Michael Sam, Sr., Missouri: In leading the SEC with 18 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks through the regular season, Sam certainly has the production against top competition to intrigue scouts. He's very quick off the snap, showing the ability to attack off the edge as well as the burst to penetrate through gaps. At 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, Sam could earn the dreaded 'tweener label from scouts who may see him as too short for defensive end and a project as a stand-up outside linebacker, pushing the productive defender into the second or even third round. Sam's 6-foot-5, 275-pound teammate, Kony Ealy, in fact, ranks higher on NFLDraftScout.com's rankings. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: I ask again, what difference does media attention make? Plus, this is Minnesota. It's not like the media attention he'd be subject to in New York. Even then, has it been proven that media attention = losing football games? Isn't that what really matters at the end of the day? Say you're gay, say you're Mormon, say you're agnostic, whatever. The media will focus on it for awhile. Big deal. I contend it has nothing to do with on-the-field performance. Aren't people always complaining about how the media ignores or has some kind of bias against the Vikings? Well, then, this would be a way to get them talking about the team.
Yeah, that's why they do it. :roll:
Nope. We need those days where black people were slaves and women couldn't vote. Thems the good 'ol days!
:roll:
So why do you wish him well? He's just another player trying to make it on a NFL team? And why do you and others bring up race when someones sexuality is brought up? They have NOTHING to do with each other.
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

Drafting Sam impacts the locker room big time. It's not "fair" to force players to get naked in a room with a gay man, or to compromise their standards when speaking to the media. If I refuse to speak with the media, I get fined. If I choose to be honest and express my true feelings (that it's weird to be naked in front of a gay dude), I get fined. The only option left is to be disingenuous and ignore your own personal moral integrity in hopes of avoiding being labeled a bigot, or a disgusting person. So now you have all these players and coaches holding back and being fake in an atmosphere where you should be building comradery. I'm not a homophobe, I can just understand the imposition it places on the rest (majority) of the team.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Superman wrote:Drafting Sam impacts the locker room big time. It's not "fair" to force players to get naked in a room with a gay man, or to compromise their standards when speaking to the media. If I refuse to speak with the media, I get fined. If I choose to be honest and express my true feelings (that it's weird to be naked in front of a gay dude), I get fined. The only option left is to be disingenuous and ignore your own personal moral integrity in hopes of avoiding being labeled a bigot, or a disgusting person. So now you have all these players and coaches holding back and being fake in an atmosphere where you should be building comradery. I'm not a homophobe, I can just understand the imposition it places on the rest (majority) of the team.
:beerock: :clap:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Prior to the announcement, NFLDraftscout.com had him projected as a 3rd rounder. Things always change up and down after combine and physicals and ect. But here is an excerpt of the analysis by Rob Rang.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ra ... pyid=96267

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Sports a compact, well-developed frame. Very good initial quickness to explode past offensive tackles and apply pressure on the quarterback.

Uses his natural leverage advantage well, keeping his legs driving to overpower much bigger opponents on the bull-rush, while also mixing in effective rip and club moves to keep blockers' hands off his chest. Accelerates smoothly and closes in a flash, showing good power for the knockdown and technique to wrap securely.

Considering his size, Sam is surprisingly effective in run defense. Can slip gaps due to his quickness to penetrate and make a big play behind the line of scrimmage and shows good power, knee bend to anchor and create a pile when run at. Good awareness, quickness and balance to recognize and defeat cut-blocks.

Occasionally asked to drop back in this scheme, showing awareness and at least fair fluidity. Active defender who searches the ball and pursues with passion.

WEAKNESSES: Not quite the sum of his parts due to size and flexibility limitations. Does not possess ideal length and therefore, struggles to separate from blockers once engaged. Impressive burst upfield is mitigated by average core flexibility, limiting his ability to turn the corner in one fluid motion.

Only occasionally asked to drop into coverage in this scheme, making his conversion to outside linebacker a true projection, especially given his average ability to change directions.

COMPARES TO: Elvis Dumervil, OLB, Baltimore Ravens - Few undersized pass rushers are capable of beating the odds like Dumervil but he's the model optimists will point to in projecting Sam to the NFL. Like Dumervil, Sam has an explosive burst and is more powerful than his relatively short frame might suggest.

--Rob Rang (1/7/14)
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I'm wondering what will happen when this guy gets a cut and starts to bleed on the field who is gonna want to block him? Don't tell me there's not offensive lineman out there thinking about this?
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Laserman wrote:I'm wondering what will happen when this guy gets a cut and starts to bleed on the field who is gonna want to block him? Don't tell me there's not offensive lineman out there thinking about this?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I really hope you're not suggesting what I think you are! :wallbang:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: Hopefully by making it clear that some of us are frustrated by the off topic conversation...
And some of us are not. ;)

But, I understand where you are coming from. These convos do get a bit ugly. But it's not like some of us haven't been talking about the football side of things, as well. Sometimes things get a bit off track. They'll eventually make it back. Patience, my friend. Patience.
Purple bruise wrote: As I suggested Ms Funk, take it to the Bar it is not Viking related. But thanks for your imput i will stick it where the rest has gone.
You couldn't just answer the question without the little dig, huh? Ouch. I'ma need some aloe for that burn.

Imput?

I decided to Google that just to be funny. Guess what I found, from the Urban Dictionary?
imput

1. The usual idiotic misspelling of the word input.

“Thank you so much for your imput.”

“My what?”

Not my words, but what now? You're putting my what...where? :D

Again, we can all admit that these conversations get out of hand. I just can't quite figure out the benefit of commenting with just faces and complaints about other posters. Is that "Vikings talk"?

I'm really not convinced if it was simply "in another section" that it would be "cool" with everyone. I don't think that is the only issue here--or even the main one. Regardless, maybe it'll get moved, maybe it won't. I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. As I said a couple times, this is history. It might not be Vikings history, but it is NFL history.

Vikings Talk, NFL Talk, College Football and Draft Talk, etc. It's all easily accessible--and avoidable...whichever people prefer.

A few texts I got from ESPN about this:
ESPN - Michael Sam says he told his Missouri teammates in August that he was gay and "they supported me"

ESPN - NFL says in statement "we admire Michael Sam's honesty and courage"

ESPN - NFLPA president Domonique Foxworth tells ESPN he thinks players will accept Michael Sam with "open arms"

ESPN - Agent tells U-T San Diego Michael Sam good fit for Chargers due to how team handled Manti Te'o situation

ESPN - NFLPA boss DeMaurice Smith tells CSN Washington anonymous GMs who downgraded Michael Sam are "gutless"
Out of everything I've seen and heard, it has been mostly positive. People seem to be genuinely supportive and ready. I can see the other "distraction" side of it, but this had to happen eventually. Sooner or later, right? Why not sooner? :D
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Laserman wrote:I'm wondering what will happen when this guy gets a cut and starts to bleed on the field who is gonna want to block him? Don't tell me there's not offensive lineman out there thinking about this?
Please don't tell me that you are implying Michael Sam has a blood-bourne virus such as HIV or AIDS just because he is gay. I seriously hope you are just joking around.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Superman wrote:Drafting Sam impacts the locker room big time.
No doubt, but does it have to be all bad?
It's not "fair" to force players to get naked in a room with a gay man, or to compromise their standards when speaking to the media. If I refuse to speak with the media, I get fined. If I choose to be honest and express my true feelings (that it's weird to be naked in front of a gay dude), I get fined. The only option left is to be disingenuous and ignore your own personal moral integrity in hopes of avoiding being labeled a bigot, or a disgusting person. So now you have all these players and coaches holding back and being fake in an atmosphere where you should be building comradery. I'm not a homophobe, I can just understand the imposition it places on the rest (majority) of the team.
Interesting. I can't speak about having to "get naked" in front of coworkers, lol, but I think that is a bit awkward regardless. But, really, I think many people's employers put them in some tough spots from time to time. In the end, it's about business; and it is up to the individual to figure out what is best for him or her. As far as the "naked" thing, I don't know. Getting paid millions of dollars? I MIGHT be able to handle it. That's just because I'm tough, though. 8)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Superman wrote:Drafting Sam impacts the locker room big time. It's not "fair" to force players to get naked in a room with a gay man, or to compromise their standards when speaking to the media. If I refuse to speak with the media, I get fined. If I choose to be honest and express my true feelings (that it's weird to be naked in front of a gay dude), I get fined. The only option left is to be disingenuous and ignore your own personal moral integrity in hopes of avoiding being labeled a bigot, or a disgusting person. So now you have all these players and coaches holding back and being fake in an atmosphere where you should be building comradery. I'm not a homophobe, I can just understand the imposition it places on the rest (majority) of the team.
lol, it's really not that big of a deal. I go swimming with a gay friend of mine probably once a month or so and you know what happens? He looks forward at his locker and puts his suit on and I stare forward at mine and put my suite on. You guys act like he's just going to be standing there waiting for them to drop um so he can stare at their cocks or skipping through the locker room helicoptering his dick around.

My experience is that they're actually really careful NOT to fit that stereo type and they mind their own business. Turns out gay people are terrified of losing their friends and upsetting peers with their "gayness" to the point where they act as "normal" as possible. Heck some in the "closet" go a life time without anyone ever finding out.

Sorry but I had to laugh, your post is so far off from reality it's funny. And how about the gay guys in the NFL who haven't come out? Is it worse or better to have them in your locker room looking at your junk?! And don't act like they aren't in there already hahaha. Should the NFL adopt DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL? We all know how that ended up! Most people probably just need to "grow up" emotionally and realize that just because he's gay doesn't mean he's going to be eye raping you in the locker room and get over it. If you can't tell who the closet gay NFL players are shouldn't that tell you how little of an issue it is to have a gay player in the locker room?
Last edited by mondry on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.