2014 Mock drafts/Big boards

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Mock drafts

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:OK. If you truly think that nothing I posted changes your opinion of Derek Carr's arm strength (which was a/the central point), then you're being purposefully obtuse. Watch him. Read the evals. Arm strength is a + for Derek Carr.
I'm not trying to be obtuse. Carr doesn't have a weak arm and I don't think I said he did. I'm just not convinced he has a particularly effective arm. Maybe semantics, but a significant thing nonetheless. I admit he can zing the ball and can make some nice throws. That still doesn't convince me he has what it takes mentally or physically to succeed at the next level.

Ideally, he'll get some time to bake at the pro level and won't be thrown out there immediately. He has potential, but to realize it I think he's going to need time and good coaching. He goes to a team that throws him to the wolves before he's ready and he won't be able to get that.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote:Why do it more often? Deep throws are low percentage plays and shorter throws are high percentage plays. Why increase emphasis on low percentage plays when the offense is working well and extremely productive? Fresno State was ranked #1 in passing among all FBS teams last year. They were #16 in the country in total offense. They scored 66 TDs and averaged 477.5 yards per game. Carr threw 87 TDs over the last two seasons! I don't see a lot of incentive for a change in strategy there, especially because while throwing for all those TDs, he kept INTs to a minimum (15) and the team won.
Fair enough, but it does leave a big question mark as to how effective Carr can be on deeper throws. And by "deeper throws", in Carr's case we're talking about throws past 6 yards. That's not really "deep" in the classic sense, but that is where his numbers dip relative to his peers in this year's draft class, and it gets worse as he goes deeper.

It just goes back to the risk-reward equation in my view and the need for teams to be able to reduce the questions they have in top draft picks, especially at QB where a bad decision can be greatly magnified. If Fresno State played the short game to win that's great for them, and maybe Carr is going to be a beast with the deep ball in the pros, but the evidence we have suggests otherwise, at least compared to his peers in this year's draft class. Drafting a guy with a huge question mark on what I consider to be a critical ability at the pro level would be incredibly foolish on Spielman's part. He'd be wagering that Carr's issues with deeper passes were indeed a product of the system he plays in rather than Carr himself. That's a big risk to take after the Ponder debacle.

Anyway, Carr is an intriguing prospect, and I hope he lands on a team that can give him time to develop as a pro without pressuring him into a starting role. As I said above, the Vikings just aren't that team right now.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Fair enough, but it does leave a big question mark as to how effective Carr can be on deeper throws. And by "deeper throws", in Carr's case we're talking about throws past 6 yards. That's not really "deep" in the classic sense, but that is where his numbers dip relative to his peers in this year's draft class, and it gets worse as he goes deeper.
You seem way too focused on the numbers in that Rotoworld article which, as the article itself states, are meant to be a complement to actual film study of the players, not to stand on their own ("The data here can’t render an opinion for you, but it can provide an effective complement to your knowledge on a prospect"). Carr's completion percentage on throws in the 11-20 yard range is fine by both NFL standards and in relation to his college peers. Without more information, it's impossible to know why his completion percentage on throws of 20+ yards is 7% below average (whatever "average" is... I don't recall the article stating how that was determined). The article does state that the numbers have been adjusted for drops, which introduces a subjective element into the equation. There's also the question of why passes were incomplete. How many throws over 20 yards were well-placed but broken up? How many were thrown away? How many were actually poorly thrown? How much did the quality of the receiving targets figure into the numbers for the various QBs? Manziel completed 69 passes to 6' 5" Mike Evans. Somehow I think having an elite receiver that size had an impact on his deep passing numbers. :)

The questions above just underline why numbers like those in the rotoworld are a complementary tool at best and not something from which to draw firm conclusions.
It just goes back to the risk-reward equation in my view and the need for teams to be able to reduce the questions they have in top draft picks, especially at QB where a bad decision can be greatly magnified. If Fresno State played the short game to win that's great for them, and maybe Carr is going to be a beast with the deep ball in the pros, but the evidence we have suggests otherwise, at least compared to his peers in this year's draft class. Drafting a guy with a huge question mark on what I consider to be a critical ability at the pro level would be incredibly foolish on Spielman's part. He'd be wagering that Carr's issues with deeper passes were indeed a product of the system he plays in rather than Carr himself. That's a big risk to take after the Ponder debacle.
I don't think Carr has significant issues with deeper passes and what issues he has seem to me to be primarily a result of impatience and footwork. I've been watching him quite a bit because he seems like a genuine possibility for the Vikes and at times, he can look too eager or impatient to make a throw and fail to get himself properly aligned before he releases the ball. However, there's ample evidence that he can throw the deep ball well, both on film and in various assessments of his performance you can find online. Consider the following from former NFL scout Greg Gabriel:
Carr has very good arm strength. He can easily throw the ball 55 yards and his deep ball accuracy is excellent. I like his his ball placement. He consistently puts the ball where receivers can get yards after the catch and where the ball can’t get intercepted. He shows touch and accuracy on all different throws.
While he throws a lot of short passes, Carr can make all the throws needed to be an NFL QB. He can throw deep outs and corner routes as well as seams and flies. Like I said earlier, on his deeper throws, his accuracy and ball placement is excellent.
... or this from Rob Rang:
NFL-caliber arm strength to sling the ball all over the field, with the ability to throw the deep fade and fire passes into tight windows. Shows the ability to square his shoulders and fire passes with velocity and accuracy. Demonstrates a combination of arm strength, accuracy and underrated athleticism. Astute ability to read coverages and recognize pressure at the line of scrimmage with several pre-snap adjustments based on obvious film study.
Anyway, Carr is an intriguing prospect, and I hope he lands on a team that can give him time to develop as a pro without pressuring him into a starting role. As I said above, the Vikings just aren't that team right now.
That's really up to the Vikings. As we've discussed before, pressure from the public or not, if they draft a QB they believe in but they don't feel he should start immediately, they don't have to start him immediately.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2014 Mock drafts/Big boards

Post by Mothman »

Crax,

I think you'll enjoy these comments from Rick Spielman about QBs choosing not to throw at the combine:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... um=twitter
The Vikings will get a chance to meet with many of the quarterbacks in this year's class at the combine, but they won't get to see all of them throw. Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel reportedly doesn't plan to throw at the combine, while Central Florida's Blake Bortles and Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater plan to throw.

"The one thing I would say (to) these quarterbacks that don’t throw here, what you’re trying to do is you’re trying to see his mechanics, his release," Spielman said. "They have a great opportunity, even with receivers running the 40, they have the cameras down actually on the field and they’re taking shots of how he holds the ball. You can see from behind, even when they’re throwing to stationary targets his release, how he looks throwing on the move. Stuff you’re going to go out and see at his pro day if you’re going to go out and see it. It’s an opportunity to put yourself to start jockeying for position.

"To me, it’s always – whether agents agree or disagree – it’s a chance to compete and I don’t put as much stock into the accuracy thing because I understand they haven’t worked with these receivers and the timing. It’s more just looking at the throwing motion, the mechanics, things like that. The arm strength. I think if you have a chance to compete, you should get out there and compete. An example has been Ben Roethlisberger. I remember everyone on him – he didn’t look very good and he ended up being a pretty damn good quarterback and still taken in the first round. So I think agents and players sometimes overthink this. Just go out there and give me a ball a let me throw it. Who cares?”
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mayock weighs in briefly on Mack: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... -s-pro-day

and

Frogs CB Verrett draws a Winfield comparison

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay compared TCU CB Jason Verrett to Antoine Winfield.

Verrett is a "little guy that plays bigger than many 6-foot CBs," McShay tweeted. "He just earholed Texas Tech TE J. Amaro!" Many will be down on Verrett because his 5'9/189 pound frame does not match the trend and infatuation with taller corners. Josh Norris loves Verrett's timing and willingness to win at the catch point in contested situations.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mayock's updated position rankings: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -nfl-draft

Jimmy Ward is now Mayock's #3 safety.

If you watch the stupid video, the guys have us taking Watkins (Mack goes #7 to TB).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Mayock's updated position rankings: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -nfl-draft

Jimmy Ward is now Mayock's #3 safety.
:rock:

What's interesting is that if you click on his name and go to the draft profile for ward on NFL.com, PFW's draft guru, Nolan Nawrocki rates Ward as a 6th-7th rounder and doesn't seem to think he has what it takes to be a starting safety in the NFL. Needless to say, I disagree. I assume Mayock does as well...
If you watch the stupid video, the guys have us taking Watkins (Mack goes #7 to TB).
LOL! At least they're enthusiastic.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I really hope we go Def first and hit Carr or Mettenberger in the second.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Mayock weighs in briefly on Mack: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... -s-pro-day

and

Frogs CB Verrett draws a Winfield comparison

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay compared TCU CB Jason Verrett to Antoine Winfield.

Verrett is a "little guy that plays bigger than many 6-foot CBs," McShay tweeted. "He just earholed Texas Tech TE J. Amaro!" Many will be down on Verrett because his 5'9/189 pound frame does not match the trend and infatuation with taller corners. Josh Norris loves Verrett's timing and willingness to win at the catch point in contested situations.
Picked Verrett in one of my mock Spielman drafts, I think he's right behind Dennard and Gilbert. He'd make a great 2nd round pick but I don't think he makes it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Picked Verrett in one of my mock Spielman drafts, I think he's right behind Dennard and Gilbert. He'd make a great 2nd round pick but I don't think he makes it.
He could slip with this new information.

Jason Verrett - DB - Player

TCU CB Jason Verrett will undergo surgery to repair a labrum tear in his shoulder.

It's a slight concern for his stock, although Dee Milliner underwent a similar surgery before last year's draft and went in the top ten. Verrett remains in the first-round hunt with a highly explosive skill set despite sub-average size (5'9/189). He projects as an NFL slot corner. By having the procedure now, Verrett should be healthy right around the start of training camp.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

---
It would be very interesting if the Vikings didn't take a QB in the first two rounds and we "end up" with either McCarron, Mettenberger or Murray in R3 (I have a hard time envisioning the Vikings not taking a QB in the first three rounds). I think in this scenario that Spielman may try to get back into the second and snag Garoppolo. But either way, there are going to be some sore Vikings fans out there if this is the case and will blame Spielman for whiffing on the QB position (whether or not one available would be worth a first or second-round selection, depending on how things shake out).
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Interesting. I really don't understand the obsession with size at corner, there's a ton of great cornerbacks that are 6 foot or shorter. Maybe it's the Richard Sherman effect, I don't know, but Verrett's size doesn't bother me at all.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Interesting. I really don't understand the obsession with size at corner, there's a ton of great cornerbacks that are 6 foot or shorter. Maybe it's the Richard Sherman effect, I don't know, but Verrett's size doesn't bother me at all.
I think a lot of it has to do with the taller nature of many receivers these days. Defensive coordinators don't want to give up a lot of inches. There's a big difference between 5'9 and 6'3. Unless you have incredible leaping ability, you're just at such a big disadvantage when high-pointing the ball/jump ball situations and especially in the red zone/goal line.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with the taller nature of many receivers these days. Defensive coordinators don't want to give up a lot of inches. There's a big difference between 5'9 and 6'3. Unless you have incredible leaping ability, you're just at such a big disadvantage when high-pointing the ball/jump ball situations and especially in the red zone/goal line.
That's the argument I keep hearing but I don't buy it. Champ Bailey is 6', Revis is 5'11, Verner is 5'10, Ty Law 5'11, Joe Haden 5'11, Brent Grimes 5'10, Tim Jennings is 5'8, etc...

I don't see the correlation at all.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: That's the argument I keep hearing but I don't buy it. Champ Bailey is 6', Revis is 5'11, Verner is 5'10, Ty Law 5'11, Joe Haden 5'11, Brent Grimes 5'10, Tim Jennings is 5'8, etc...

I don't see the correlation at all.
Take a gander (not that this necessarily proves that short corners are at a disadvantage): http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... efficiency
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Scout's Take Blog: Draft observations by an ex-NFL player, scout

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ayer-scout