Senior Bowl notes

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Senior Bowl notes

Post by Mothman »

Another note about my guy Jimmie Ward, this one from today's practices:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=SS
01/22/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl Wednesday: Under-the-radar defenders highlight North practice...Another small but feisty defensive back catching the eye of scouts at the Senior Bowl was Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward. While lacking the frame scouts would prefer at the position, the 5-foot-10, 193-pound Ward is an aggressive downhill tackler, who crashed the line of scrimmage in run support and raced down the field as a middle defender on kickoff coverage. Ward was moved all over the field by the Atlanta Falcons' coaching staff, lining up as a single-high safety, dropping down to cover tight ends as a traditional strong safety and splitting out to cover receivers out of the slot. In each case, his vision and burst to the ball consistently put him in position to make big plays.

One particularly impressive play came while he was backed up as a deep centerfielder. Reading a wide run to the right (his left) from West Virginia running back Charles Sims, Ward exploded towards the line of scrimmage, zipping past would-be blockers to "tackle" the 6-foot, 214-pound back in the open-field. Tackling is strictly forbidden during the all-star game practices, but Ward came in so fast, Sims had no choice but to attempt a jump-cut to his right, losing his balance and falling to the ground on a play in which he appeared to have an wide lane for an easy score. - Rob Rang & Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
I'd love to see Ward end up in Zimmer's Vikings defense next year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

QB Garoppolo speaks with Vikings staff at Senior Bowl

http://www.startribune.com/video/241552 ... witterfeed
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Notes from Wednesday

Lance Zierlein: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... ar-circuit
Wisconsin LB Chris Borland epitomizes the words “football player”. I told people around me to just watch the ball and No. 44 would be there. Wednesday morning’s practice proved just that. He had a pick during team drills and, as he was at Wisconsin, always around the ball.
NIU S Jimmie Ward threw a blanket over tight ends in 1-on-1 coverage today which was no surprise. He’s lived up to every expectation this week in Mobile and that’s with added pressure playing in his hometown on such an important stage. In half field coverage drills, he showed the ability to get off his hash playing a half field safety. He showed the range to get to the back corner of the end zone for deep corner routes, in addition to his solid 1-on-1 coverage.
It's a tale of two practices for Baylor's Cyril Richardson as the mammoth guard had issues again on one on one drills, but was dominant as a run blocker in the team portion of practice. Interestingly enough, one of Richardson's victims was Pitt's Donald who has caused Richardson so many problems in one on ones. Richardson's power and run blocking ability definitely popped today and it's obvious that game tape is the must better measure for Richardson than Senior Bowl one-on-one drills.
Michigan OT/OG Michael Schofield was substantially better today than yesterday showing much more functional strength and tenacity against most everyone he faced in one on one drills including Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman who got pancaked by Schofield in one on ones.
Pitt's Aaron Donald continued his strong week with another consistent and productive effort on Wednesday. I spoke with one NFL defensive line coach who told me that Donald's size would definitely be a concern for teams in draft meetings but added that "there are just too many guys who don't have prototype bodies or size around the NFL who continue to produce on the defensive line" and that "teams have got to just look at how this kid plays - it's that simple.... his game tape is good."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Charlie Campbell: http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014practice6.php

Excerpts below:
Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr completed his solid week of practice with another quality outing. Carr threw some nice, accurate passes downfield while displaying some footwork. He made a few good passes on the run, including in the team scrimmage. Carr didn't have to scramble around a whole lot in college, so it was good for him to show scouts that he has the potential to throw on the move.
Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo did well overall, despite missing a huge opportunity on the first snap of the team scrimmage. On a flea flicker, Garoppolo had Alabama wide receiver Kevin Norwood running wide open down the field for a touchdown. It was the most wide-open bomb Garoppolo may ever have, but instead he threw incomplete to the sideline in the intermediate part of the field for Jordan Matthews. The entire team groaned and shouted at Garoppolo while the Jaguars play-caller hit him over the head with the play sheet. Other than that missed opportunity, Garoppolo was solid on Wednesday.
Tennessee defensive tackle Daniel McCullers dispensed Arkansas center Travis Swanson with an impressive bull rush. McCullers can be tough to block, but he has to rembemer to keep his knee bend and pad level in check. Otherwise, McCullers stands up too high, which allows offensive linemen underneath his pads. McCullers looks like a natural as a 3-4 nose tackle to line up over centers.
Auburn edge rusher Dee Ford was impressive again on Wednesday. He burned Matt Pacthan in the team scrimmage for a potential sack of David Fales. Ford had some nice reps in the one-on-ones as well. Ford could be a nice pass-rushing weapon in the NFL.
BYU outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy flashed on Wednesday. He surprised North Dakota State's Billy Turner in the one-on-ones with a bull rush that pushed Turner straight back to the quarterback marker. In the rematch, Turner was able to beat Van Noy when he rode him too deeply around the pocket. Van Noy destroyed Vanderbilt left tackle Wesley Johnson with a bull rush on the final play of the practice to pick up a sack on Fales.
Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald completed his phenomenal week of practice with another dominant session. Donald couldn't be stopped in the pass rushing one-on-ones. He got started by burning Baylor guard Cyril Richardson with a speed rush. He used some power and then speed to get by Utah State's Tyler Larsen. Donald showed great hand usage to shed a block from Tennessee State's Kadeem Edwards with speed to burst away. Edwards and Clemson's Brandon Thomas were able to get some draws against Donald by stuffing bull rushes. Donald got penetration, but not enough to get to the quarterback marker. During the team scrimmage, Donald blew by Edwards to get a tackle for a loss on a run play. Donald has been one of the best players in Mobile and has made himself a lot of money this week. His pass-rushing skills as a three technique are very rare and he could be a potential double-digit sacker in the NFL.
Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman had another nice practice, and he had a good win against Colorado State center Weston Richburg with a speed rush.
Notre Dame left tackle Zack Martin had a win against Penn State's DaQuan Jones when he anchored on a bull rush. Martin also had an impressive win when he pushed North Carolina defensive end Kareem Martin outside of the pocket and into the turf. Zack Martin has had a strong week of practice to answer some doubts.
Oregon's Josh Huff had a nice touchdown reception, but he used a push-off on North Carolina State's Dontae Johnson to get open. Huff and Wisconsin's Jared Abbrederis have played well this week.

Abbrederis showed his superb route-running by getting open in the front of the end zone on curl route for a reception. He beat Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward on the play. Ward, of course, is the boyfriend of Jim, VMB elder, who was crushed when learning about this play and couldn't be reached for comment as he wept into a tub of ice cream
Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd had his best practice of the week. Boyd got started by throwing a fastball through a tight window to Jared Abbrederis in zone coverage. He then threw a beautiful deep ball that dropped in over Lindenwood cornerback Pierre Desir to Northwestern wide receiver Kain Colter in the team scrimmage. Desir had tight coverage but was beaten by a nice catch and a great throw. Boyd had a good play from the 20-yard line where he saw nothing open, scrambled forward and threw a short pass on the run to Stanford fullback Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt had an open field and coasted into the end zone. Boyd needed a good practice and came through with one.
Miami quarterback Stephen Morris hasn't had a big week either. In the team scrimmage he hit a slant to Wyoming's Robert Herron who cut back to dodge Wyoming's Marqeston Huff and dart down the field for a nice gain. Morris and Herron hooked up again when he beat Huff on an out route.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Notes by Chris Trapasso (excerpts below): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1933 ... -practices
- Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo had a sound yet unspectacular week, but his incredibly quick release really stood out in Mobile. On Wednesday, there were a few instances in which he couldn't find anyone in seven-on-seven and was late on a few throws. His compact delivery likely opened some eyes.
- Baylor offensive tackle Cyril Richardson, a 2013 All-American, will have nightmares about Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald for a while after this week. As per usual, Donald was able to beat the monstrous and powerful guard off the ball during drills and in 11-on-11 work. When Richardson can get his hands on you, it's over, but he's not a lateral mover. Then again, Richardson will remain a top guard in the 2014 class because he's so massive and can really maul in the run game. In my opinion, Donald was the best overall player in Mobile during the practice sessions.
- Christian Jones of Florida State and Auburn's Dee Ford continued their havoc-wreaking ways in the final padded session. Jones played both inside and outside linebacker for the Seminoles, but he flashed a variety of effective pass-rushing moves all week and really got the best of the South's offensive tackles. Ford made Virginia's Morgan Moses look silly on one play, as he dipped around him for an easy "sack." Ford may be a "tweener" to some NFL teams, but his burst off the ball is incredible.
Cornerbacks of All Sizes Shine
Nebraska's Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Florida's Jaylen Watkins, Auburn's Chris Davis and Pierre Desir were the most impressive cornerbacks in Mobile over the past three days and all turned in sound performances on Wednesday.

At slightly above 6'2'' and 215 pounds with collegiate experience at wide receiver, there was plenty of chatter about Jean-Baptiste due to the fact that he can be, rather easily, likened to Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks.

In press man coverage, Jean-Baptiste dominated the North receivers all practice.

He was tested on a few fades to the corner of the end zone, too—not happening.

Campanaro admitted to me after practice that Jean-Baptiste was his most difficult matchup of the week because "he's so long and physical."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ouch.

Tajh Boyd - QB - Tigers

A Packers scout called Clemson QB Tajh Boyd "not draftable" due to his performance during Senior Bowl practices.

It's a harsh indictment, but it won't move the needle on Boyd's draft stock much. Boyd is a polarizing prospect because he possesses elite attributes (displays spectacular pocket movement to find throwing lanes, releases from multiple platforms, has good arm talent and athleticism) and noticeable weaknesses (subpar accuracy, sub-optimal size, and inconsistent decision-making). He's still a second-round possibility.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

:rofl: I didn't realize that Charlie Campbell posted here at VMB

BYU outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy flashed on Wednesday. He surprised North Dakota State's Billy Turner in the one-on-ones with a bull rush that pushed Turner straight back to the quarterback marker. In the rematch, Turner was able to beat Van Noy when he rode him too deeply around the pocket. Van Noy destroyed Vanderbilt left tackle Wesley Johnson with a bull rush on the final play of the practice to pick up a sack on Fales.
I'd love to see Van Noy end up here, probably not with the #8 pick, but if we got him a bit lower that would be great.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
LOL! Now why do I suspect that wasn't all written by Charlie Campbell?

Ward's not my type. I lean more toward attractive, blond, long-legged, female cheerleaders!

However, I do often weep into a tub of ice cream.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:LOL! Now why do I suspect that wasn't all written by Charlie Campbell?
whaaaaaaaat? :P
Ward's not my type. I lean more toward attractive, blond, long-legged, female cheerleaders!
No wonder our secondary sucks. Cheerleaders suck at both press and zone (though I suppose I wouldn't mind a lot of "press coverage").
However, I do often weep into a tub of ice cream.
Mostly during Vikings games and reruns of Oprah?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:No wonder our secondary sucks. Cheerleaders suck at both press and zone (though I suppose I wouldn't mind a lot of "press coverage").
It's best kind! Erogenous zone coverage isn't bad either.
Mostly during Vikings games and reruns of Oprah?
:rofl: Just during the former, not the latter.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:Ouch.

Tajh Boyd - QB - Tigers

A Packers scout called Clemson QB Tajh Boyd "not draftable" due to his performance during Senior Bowl practices.

It's a harsh indictment, but it won't move the needle on Boyd's draft stock much. Boyd is a polarizing prospect because he possesses elite attributes (displays spectacular pocket movement to find throwing lanes, releases from multiple platforms, has good arm talent and athleticism) and noticeable weaknesses (subpar accuracy, sub-optimal size, and inconsistent decision-making). He's still a second-round possibility.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
I've been saying it from day one. Guy is a bum. Will never make it in the NFL, and isn't worth signing as a free agent...inconsistent and subpar accuracy...perfect description of the guy...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

A few more from Wednesday:
Jimmy Garoppolo - Not a great day but did not really hurt himself either. He missed some throws in passing drills, a deep post off flea flicker pass first play during Team, and was late on a pass in 7 on 7. Still solid accuracy and timing. He seems to understands and grasp everything that's going on and making Mike declarations every play. In Team, he showed really good poise and calm in the pocket. Have not seen him be get rattled. He continues to look like a legitimate NFL QB prospect.

Derek Carr - He looks impressive in all passing drills and making all the right throws and reads. Smart understand the reads, is a leader in the field, and looks like an NFL quarterback. However, during Team period, he got a little jittery in the pocket not setting his feet and wanting to go out of the pocket and rolled out instead of being poised stepping up, sliding and hanging in the pocket and finding his receivers. Pocket presence is the aspect of his game is a question and still is.

David Fales - Made good quick decisions and threw accurate passes in all passing drills. Again struggled a little bit driving deeper throws. He had a nice touch pass to the tight end on a corner route in 7-on-7. He has questions about pocket presence. He looked jittery in the pocket during Team period, taking off to run too quickly with good protection and go routes against press man coverage on the outside. He needs to show more poise stepping up and sliding in the pocket and keeping his eyes down field.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... esday?pg=2
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Derek Carr thrives, Adrian Hubbard struggles at Senior Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... enior-bowl
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Aaron Donald - DL - Player

Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald received the 2014 Senior Bowl's most dominant practice player award.

Incredibly disruptive from the interior despite a 6-foot-1, 288-pound frame and 31 3/4-inch arms, Donald earned the 2013 Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, and Outland Trophies in addition to ACC Defensive POY. "He's short in stature by NFL standards and doesn't maybe have all the measurables," said Senior Bowl North Squad coach Mike Smith, "but he's one of the more explosive guys we have." It's worth noting Bengals All-Pro DT Geno Atkins measured 6-foot-1, 293 coming out of Georgia. That precedent can't hurt Donald's chances of warranting a top-15 selection in May's draft.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Derek Carr - He looks impressive in all passing drills and making all the right throws and reads. Smart understand the reads, is a leader in the field, and looks like an NFL quarterback. However, during Team period, he got a little jittery in the pocket not setting his feet and wanting to go out of the pocket and rolled out instead of being poised stepping up, sliding and hanging in the pocket and finding his receivers. Pocket presence is the aspect of his game is a question and still is.
This is what really worries me about Carr, he's a guy that will look real good when the red jersey is on but I think when the chips are down, all that polish goes away. You read those sentences and he sounds a whole lot like "he who shall not be named."