QB Jimmy Garoppolo wins Waler Payton Award

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: QB Jimmy Garoppolo wins Waler Payton Award

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... 1854.story

This kid is pretty good. I suspect he will creep up draft boards. I'd love to take him in the 3rd if he's still there.
I watched part of their game last weekend (I think); he looked solid, but I have to say I initially thought it was a HS game due to the speed and size of the players and just the stadium, etc. It was really hard to make a reliable judgment of his abilities in that inferior context (inferior, say, to SEC football). I look forward to seeing him go through the process leading up to the draft and see how he is evaluated. I liked his hyperactive feet: he would really quickly spring on his toes while going through is progressions. He did this with mechanical ferocity and it was very effective.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Paul Allen on KFAN was talking him up for the last few weeks as someone who's on the Vikings radar.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I love Jimmy. Also, Bortles. Both are rising in the draft pretty quick, according to some experts.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Garoppolo will end up being a 1st round pick
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'd consider Garoppolo with the 2nd of the Vikings 3rd-rounders, maybe the 1st 3rd-rounder if he shows enough during pre-draft workouts. I wouldn't go any higher than that just based on level of competition in college, but he's a solid development prospect who displays an ability to read the field, throw accurately, and lead. If he develops, he could be another Russell Wilson.

As for Bortles, he has draft rocket written all over him. He throws a very high percentage of the short, safe stuff Ponder was famous for, has a tendency to lock onto receivers, and doesn't appear to have the strongest arm to boot. Of all the guys coming out that I've watched film on, I'd say Bortles is the most likely to resemble Ponder as a pro. At the beginning of this season nobody heard of this guy, and now suddenly I see mocks having him go top-3. Definition of a draft rocket right there, and a huge mistake to take a guy like that early IMHO.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

VikingLord wrote:I'd consider Garoppolo with the 2nd of the Vikings 3rd-rounders, maybe the 1st 3rd-rounder if he shows enough during pre-draft workouts. I wouldn't go any higher than that just based on level of competition in college, but he's a solid development prospect who displays an ability to read the field, throw accurately, and lead. If he develops, he could be another Russell Wilson.

As for Bortles, he has draft rocket written all over him. He throws a very high percentage of the short, safe stuff Ponder was famous for, has a tendency to lock onto receivers, and doesn't appear to have the strongest arm to boot. Of all the guys coming out that I've watched film on, I'd say Bortles is the most likely to resemble Ponder as a pro. At the beginning of this season nobody heard of this guy, and now suddenly I see mocks having him go top-3. Definition of a draft rocket right there, and a huge mistake to take a guy like that early IMHO.
Hey I am impressed that you have taken the time to watch film on Blake Bortles. I have been reading about the 6-4 230 lb. fourth year junior and everything that I have read seems quite impressive.

By Mike Huguenin
College Football 24/7 writer
"According to Report: Blake Bortles is top QB for a team with top-10 pick.
Bortles has thrown for 3,000 yards in each of the past two seasons, and has thrown for 3,280 yards, 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season. He also is completing 68.1 percent of his passes, up from 62.9 percent last season.
Bortles has a good arm and excellent mobility, and he has led four fourth-quarter rallies this season. In addition, UCF rallied from a halftime deficit to beat SMU in the regular-season finale. He has completed at least two-thirds of his passes in nine of UCF's 12 games and has thrown at least three TD passes in four contests. He also has had four 300-yard games for a team that runs the ball 53 percent of the time".
Another analyst has predicted that if he declares himself eligible for this years draft, that the Raiders would want him with the 3rd over all pick.
The Vikes did okay picking another QB from UCF by the name of Culpepper.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

"Good arm"

"excellent mobility"

No thanks. Wouldn't even have him on my board. :smilevike:
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Plays like Andrew Luck.
Actually, he will probably draw that comparison a lot.
Would absolutely take him at #8 if he was there. Just don't think it happens.
BTW, should see his girlfriend... Holy Smoking !
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Another thing that bothers me about Bortles is he has a tendency to stare down his receivers on a high percentage of plays that I watched. This isn't a guy who is dropping back and frequently going to his 2nd and 3rd reads. He drops, sets, and throws, and most of his throws are of the uber-safe variety where he doesn't have to do a lot of processing. Granted, he's fairly accurate on his bread-and-butter throws, and he does make plays, but watching Bortles' highlights reminds me of watching Blaine Gabbert's highlights before he came out. Big dude, fairly strong arm, can succeed in a controlled system, but put him in improv situations and there is little to suggest he can handle those. At best, whether he can is unknown, and when you're spending a high first on a QB, you don't want unknowns like that, especially when NFL defenses will be eager to test the ability of a young QB to read and react to aggressive blitz schemes.

It appears as things stand right now Bortles will be long gone before #8 as well, so that gives me some comfort that the Vikings won't blow a high pick on him at least.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Bortles gone before #8? :rofl:
I wouldn't sign him as an undrafted free agent for league minimum.

Geno Smith was suppose to be #1 overall pick last year at this time, Nassib was climbing boards...Barkley etc. Bortles isn't a first round pick unless Rick Spielman decides Ponder wasn't a dumb enough waste of a pick and wants to try again.