Michael Sam says he's gay

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Michael Sam says he's gay

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in interviews with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and the New York Times on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... s-says-gay

This is a very interesting story, IMO. It will be very interesting to see where he gets drafted. Good for him to come out like he did, because I know it took a lot of guts.
In a related story, on Adam Schefter's Facebook page, where he posted a status about it, there are some VERY stupid people in this world... It's unfortunate that some people are so closed minded or just plain stupid that they comment the way they do.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Michael Sam says he's gay

Post by Funkytown »

Very interesting, indeed. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Seems like a good kid. I hope he gets drafted and does well.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - NFL says in statement "we admire Michael Sam's honesty and courage"
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:All that matters is what Chris Kluwe thinks of this. 8)
Lol!

WWCKD?
What would Chris Kluwe do?
Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

...yeah, he said it, and now he doesn't want to talk about it anymore, but people can't seem to let it go.

He wants to focus on football and making an NFL roster. I think he had a nice press conference and handled himself very well. I loved his confidence as he fired back answers at some of the dumb questions.

As they said on NFL Network, he's a good kid with a lot of talent. He'll get picked somewhere in the mid-rounds. If people can do drugs, drive drunk, beat on their women, etc., this kid should be given a chance, too. He's earned it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He's earned what? All depends on how he plays football. And that's hes not a felon. This gay stuff is getting old. Should get locked like the other one.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He's earned what?
Erm. A chance? Isn't that what I said?
All depends on how he plays football.
And that's hes not a felon.
This gay stuff is getting old.
Didn't I pretty much say all of this, too?
Should get locked like the other one.
Okay, Mr. Mod. I guess talking about his draft status and press conference is illegal. Oops. :oops: I did the same thing yesterday, about Manziel. I guess I'm in trouble all over the place!

I didn't think my comments were out of line or that I discussed anything worthy of this thread getting locked. Did I? I was just commenting after what I saw/heard on NFL Network about Sam at the combine. Sorry. The rest of the thread is old.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Quit talking about icky stuff Funkytown. Making some people uncomfortable. :lol:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:Quit talking about icky stuff Funkytown. Making some people uncomfortable. :lol:
Lol.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

And all the hype and the dude bombs. He was a HUGE media tartget mostly because he was gay. Going to be hard for a team to pass on him because he is an admitted gay and it would be sexual discrimination for them not too. Even if he really isn't all he's been said to be, like a mid rounder. Poor guy, I feel horrible about all this icky stuff.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

He was viewed as a mid round guy anyways. Somebody will take a chance on him in the draft. People said honey badger would be a big distraction and he ended up being a gigantic steal in the draft. Granted, the talent was there for him, Sam is no slouch. You're not CO-DMVP for the SEC conference for nothing
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.