2014 NFL Combine Notes

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2014 NFL Combine Notes

Post by dead_poet »

MANZIEL – 5’11 and ¾, 207 with 9 7/8 hands.
BRIDGEWATER – 6’2 1/8, 214 with 9 ¼ hands.
BORTLES – 6’5, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.
Zach Mettenberger's rounded measurements: 6'5" 224 lbs. hand size of 9 3/4".
Last edited by dead_poet on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2014 NFL Combine Notes

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:

That height measurement isn't going to help Manziel's cause but some GMs will undoubtedly love his big, manly hands.

Football is so weird sometimes...
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:
That height measurement isn't going to help Manziel's cause but some GMs will undoubtedly love his big, manly hands.

Football is so weird sometimes...
:grin: so true.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sammy Watkins - WR - Player

Clemson WR Sammy Watkins measured 6-foot 3/4 and 211 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.

He was listed at 6-foot-1, 205 at Clemson. So the size isn't a detriment. Watkins is a highly explosive, NFL-ready route runner with rare ability to blow past defensive backs in and out of breaks and create separation very early in pass patterns. He will be the first wide receiver chosen in May's draft.

---
Marqise Lee - WR - Player

USC WR Marqise Lee measured 5-foot-11 3/4 and 192 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

He came in just a touch short and lighter than his 6-foot, 195-pound college listing. Lee drew comparisons to DeSean Jackson early in his college career, but buzz died down later on concerning his speed and penchant for drops. He's still in the first-round conversation, though is more likely a top-50 prospect.

---
Mike Evans - WR - Player

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans measured 6-foot-4 3/4 and 231 pounds at Friday's NFL Combine weigh-in.

He's a fourth of an inch shorter than his college listing, but six pounds heavier. Drawing Vincent Jackson comparisons, Evans is expected to surprise when he runs his forty, perhaps clocking in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s. Still only 20 years old, Evans is virtual lock to be a top-15 selection in May's draft.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Keep a watch on this guy: Martavis Bryant from Clemson. The guy is 6-4 and is projected to run a high 4.3 forty yard dash.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Brandin Cooks ran 4.30 on both 1st and second attempts today. I was impressed with him in all the Oregon St games I saw this year.

edit: Just said officially adjusted time 4.33. I think he's right now the fastest WR according to the guys on stream on nfl.com
Last edited by Crax on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

Watching the wide receiver drills this year it seems like the wr depth is really really deep. Lots of impressive performances.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Today, Martavis Bryant, Jordan Matthews, Brandin Crooks, Jeff Janis, Odell Beckham Jr., and Paul Richardson all impressed me today. I was disappointed by Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson today.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Today, Martavis Bryant, Jordan Matthews, Brandin Crooks, Jeff Janis, Odell Beckham Jr., and Paul Richardson all impressed me today. I was disappointed by Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson today.
Landry hurt his hamstring. Did he participate in the on field workouts?

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

frosted21 wrote: Landry hurt his hamstring. Did he participate in the on field workouts?

For a little bit. Then he got taken off the field. He pulled his hamstring during his first forty. He had a really bad start and tweaked it during his start.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: For a little bit. Then he got taken off the field. He pulled his hamstring during his first forty. He had a really bad start and tweaked it during his start.
Gotcha. Thanks for the update. I am working today, kinda disappointed I can't watch. Haha.

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Watkins runs a 4.43, no surprise there. Evans ran a respectable 4.53 for a guy his size. Kelvin Benjamin ran a disappointing 4.61 which is likely to hurt him.

Edit: Martavis Bryant was a guy that looked real interesting around the Vikings late 3rd/early 4th. Ran a 4.42. At a guy his size he might not be available there now but should be a strong one to consider if he is.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wow Watkins had an unofficial time of 4.34. Any sliver of chance he's there at #8 is pretty much gone now.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

De'anthony Thomas doesn't feature on most expert top 5 RB lists. I just don't get this. What am I missing?
And as he is looking by far the most sharp and explosive of all the RBs at the combine, will he stay out of their top 5's?
I'd love to have him behind AD as a Chester Taylor type 3rd down back.
Is it his lack of height that puts people off.
We got a lot of Oregon games on our coverage in the uk. And I was very impressed
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

UKno1VIKING wrote:De'anthony Thomas doesn't feature on most expert top 5 RB lists. I just don't get this. What am I missing?
And as he is looking by far the most sharp and explosive of all the RBs at the combine, will he stay out of their top 5's?
I'd love to have him behind AD as a Chester Taylor type 3rd down back.
Is it his lack of height that puts people off.
We got a lot of Oregon games on our coverage in the uk. And I was very impressed
Small. I think he's a skinnier Darren Sproles. Definitely a place for him in the NFL, but not as a three down guy. He actually surprised me today, only ran a 4.51. He definitely plays much faster on film though. I think he'd be worth a fifth round pick.