Johnny Manziel

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Johnny Manziel

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

All you who hated on me for calling JFB a shrimp? He is now officially listed at 5'11''. 3 inches shorter then even I am. No way in heck he sees over his linemen. No wonder he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. He makes ponder look like a giant.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - Johnny Manziel at combine: "I'm probably one of the most competitive people on the face of this earth"
Overall, I think Johnny had a great press conference. He said all of the right things. He spoke with confidence. You can tell that he's passionate, hardworking, a team player, etc.

Whether most of what he said was "coached" or not, he comes off as a genuine person ready to become a professional. I actually came away a bit impressed.

It seems as if a small percentage of people are rooting against this kid and want him to fail. He has to know that, and I think it's just another thing to push him. All of the criticism against his style of play, size, off-the-field stuff, attitude, etc. is just going to make him work that much harder to prove everyone wrong. I think if he keeps (gets?) his head on straight, he'll have one of the best work ethics in the NFL. He is far too confident (cocky?) to fail; he's going to work his butt off to be successful at the next level. And quite frankly, that's the kind of guy I want at QB, someone who is never satisfied and constantly tries to get better. I didn't gather that from you-know-who, and I want it.

I'm not big on college football, and I really only start paying attention to the draft and whatnot after the season, and about now is really when I learn about everyone, but I have to say, if he's there at 8, I hope the Vikings strongly consider grabbing him. No one questions his talent, and all of those other "negative" things are only going to push him. Basically, I think all of the criticism could be a positive thing for him, in a way. I'm rooting for the guy, and I think he'll be exciting to watch wherever he ends up. It'll just be that much easier to root for him if he's wearing that purple. :D
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:All you who hated on me for calling JFB a shrimp? He is now officially listed at 5'11''. 3 inches shorter then even I am. No way in heck he sees over his linemen. No wonder he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. He makes ponder look like a giant.
Have you ever heard of Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, the shrimpy, Super-Bowl winning quarterbacks?

Ideally, they'd all be a bit taller, but I think Brees and Wilson have proven that a team can win--and win big--with a shorty at quarterback. I don't understand that criticism when two of the recent QBs to help their team win a Super Bowl were, indeed, shrimpy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote: Have you ever heard of Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, the shrimpy, Super-Bowl winning quarterbacks?

Ideally, they'd all be a bit taller, but I think Brees and Wilson have proven that a team can win--and win big--with a shorty at quarterback. I don't understand that criticism when two of the recent QBs to help their team win a Super Bowl were, indeed, shrimpy.
I object to this repeated use of the words "shrimp" and "shrimpy" to describe those of us shorter than 5' 11". We are not "shrimpy". We are vertically challenged individuals. :)

As for Manziel, everything about him from his height to his style of play is in contrast to the conventional wisdom regarding what it takes for a QB to succeed in the NFL. He's an unorthodox QB and the team that drafts him will know that and will know they are rolling the dice on an unconventional player, hoping his knack for the game and his intangibles will make him a pro success.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote:
I object to this repeated use of the words "shrimp" and "shrimpy" to describe those of us shorter than 5' 11". We are not "shrimpy". We are vertically challenged individuals. :)
Okay, short stuff. :D

I am 5'0". Don't talk to me about short. :lol: Pretty bad when elementary kids are taller than you. :D Female or not, 5 foot even is pretty darn short. I don't hate it, though. And heck, just another reason to root for this guy. Woohoo shorties! :point:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Okay, short stuff. :D
That's a low blow!

Get it? Low blow...
I am 5'0". Don't talk to me about short. :lol: Pretty bad when elementary kids are taller than you. :D Female or not, 5 foot even is pretty darn short. I don't hate it, though. And heck, just another reason to root for this guy. Woohoo shorties! :point:
My niece is 5' tall too. When I was in college I dated a girl (also in college, before any of you wise guys crack a joke) who was 4'11.5"! It really bugged her that she was under 5' tall.

Oh... and um... something about Johnny Manziel!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: That's a low blow!

Get it? Low blow...
I'm sorry, shortcake. ;)

Anyways, I don't think Johnny's size is a big deal. It comes as no surprise, and like he said, he plays like he is ten feet tall. :D
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This thread has turned into a Short Persons Support Group! :lol:

It's a good thing playing QB in the NFL is not like getting on a roller coaster. All that matters is what you DO on the field, and Manziel has done a lot.

Manziel is kind of a litmus test for me for posters here--those that hate him, almost always without substantial or logical reasons to support that position--are folks whose takes I almost NEVER agree with. Those that AT THE VERY LEAST recognize his serious talent, even while pointing to potential translation problems of his style to the NFL, well, I usually read their posts with more attention! :P (whether it's about JFB or not).
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Texas Vike wrote:This thread has turned into a Short Persons Support Group! :lol:
Hey, little people have to stick together. :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:This thread has turned into a Short Persons Support Group! :lol:

It's a good thing playing QB in the NFL is not like getting on a roller coaster.

:rofl: Can you imagine? They should have one of those painted "You must be THIS tall to go this ride" signs set up at the combine when they're measuring the height of players.
Manziel is kind of a litmus test for me for posters here--those that hate him, almost always without substantial or logical reasons to support that position--are folks whose takes I almost NEVER agree with. Those that AT THE VERY LEAST recognize his serious talent, even while pointing to potential translation problems of his style to the NFL, well, I usually read their posts with more attention! :P (whether it's about JFB or not).
That makes sense.

Considering what he's accomplished in college, I don't see why anyone would just hate him or write off his chances to succeed in the NFL before he's even been drafted. That sort of attitude never makes sense to me.

Then again, sometimes, I read posts and wonder if the people making them are just watching games in a parallel universe and posting from there or if they have an NFL season that plays out in their heads. It's like the real thing but there are distinct differences!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Nothing against short people. Its just when I posted before on this a whole bunvha of people jumped down my throat, told me I was making it up, etc. Ticks me off when they down own up to it. Being short isn't a plus in drafting a QB. It just isn't. Neither is drafting a 150 pound NT. It wont work.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Nothing against short people. Its just when I posted before on this a whole bunvha of people jumped down my throat, told me I was making it up, etc. Ticks me off when they down own up to it. Being short isn't a plus in drafting a QB. It just isn't. Neither is drafting a 150 pound NT. It wont work.
That analogy is a bit extreme. Manziel isn't 3 foot 8.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote: That analogy is a bit extreme. Manziel isn't 3 foot 8.

It would be cool if he was... like having Tyrion Lannister at QB!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
It would be cool if he was... like having Tyrion Lannister at QB!
:rofl:

WINTER IS COMING!!! (VALHALLA IS TOO)

:rofl:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It would be interesting to know what Rick Spielman, Norv Turner and the Vikings think about Manziel. Would they pass on him if he were available at no. 8? I wouldn't be amazed if they did.