View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:40 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 mcshay qb's 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 am
Posts: 980
Post mcshay qb's
just saw todd mcshay's qb ranking and he has blake bortles as #2? any thoughts on this kid i hardly know anything about him at all.


Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:38 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23164
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: mcshay qb's
mosscarter wrote:
just saw todd mcshay's qb ranking and he has blake bortles as #2? any thoughts on this kid i hardly know anything about him at all.


Bucky Brooks had him at #13 last week. Here's what he said about him:

Quote:
13. Blake Bortles, Central Florida
(Last week's rank: 14)

Bortles has been key to the Knights' emergence as one of the top teams in college football. The junior standout has been an impressive playmaker from the pocket, completing more than 68 percent of his passes, while also adding a few nifty runs in key moments to sustain drives. With Bortles also compiling a solid 20:5 touchdown-to-interception ratio, it is time to recognize him as one of the top quarterbacks in college football.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... stock-rise

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: mcshay qb's
mrc44 wrote:
I just heard Paul Allen talking about this guy. I have been meanign to watch some of the videos on him, what are your guys' thoughts?



Well, they'll be playing Baylor at the Fiesta Bowl (Jan 1), which I think will be a serious test for them. Baylor's QB (Bryce Petty) is no slouch either. It will be interesting to watch them both play.

Pretty good preview of this game: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=101069 ... api_public


Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: mcshay qb's
Texas Vike wrote:
mrc44 wrote:
I just heard Paul Allen talking about this guy. I have been meanign to watch some of the videos on him, what are your guys' thoughts?



Well, they'll be playing Baylor at the Fiesta Bowl (Jan 1), which I think will be a serious test for them. Baylor's QB (Bryce Petty) is no slouch either. It will be interesting to watch them both play.

Pretty good preview of this game: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=101069 ... api_public



I'll have to try to watch that one.

I've seen Bortles play a little but not enough to form a strong impression of his game. From what I saw, he seemed poised in the pocket and he threw the ball accurately. Culpepper made the jump from UCF to the NFL and had some genuine success so perhaps Bortles can do the same.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23164
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: mcshay qb's
mrc44 wrote:
Here is another video , this one against Penn St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E

The kid puts the passes right on the money, I want him. You guys gotta watch this kid, he looks like he has a good foundation and a lot of talent.


I need to watch more tape, but he looks OK. Looks like he throws a lot either flat-footed or while falling backwards. A lot of his early passes were to receivers given a lot of cushion, making for easy throws. It'll be interesting to watch him in the draft process and combine. The level he's faced hasn't been all that great.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:01 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: mcshay qb's
Interesting takes on Manziel, Winston, and McCarron:


Quote:
Maxwell Award (college player of the year)
Finalists: Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
AJ McCarron, Alabama
Jameis Winston, Florida State

Manziel

Who should win: Manziel, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, might have been the most valuable player in the country this season. He completed 69.1 percent of his passes for 3,732 yards with 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 686 yards and eight scores. Manziel had to produce every time the Aggies took the field because their defense was so porous this season. Winston and McCarron were just as efficient throwing the ball, but the Aggies asked Manziel to shoulder a bigger load.

Who will win: Manziel

Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award (nation's best quarterback)
Finalists:Manziel
McCarron
Winston

Winston

Who should win: Winston, the freshman from Bessemer, Ala., guided Florida State to an undefeated regular season and No. 1 ranking in the BCS standings heading into the national championship against Auburn. He was No. 1 nationally in Total QBR with a 90.9 rating and completed 67.9 percent of his pass attempts for 3,820 yards with 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Winston was No. 8 among FBS quarterbacks in passing yards and 16th in total offense (308.7 yards per game).

Who will win: Winston

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -finalists


Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6592
Post Re: mcshay qb's
Texas Vike wrote:
Interesting takes on Manziel, Winston, and McCarron:


Quote:
Maxwell Award (college player of the year)
Finalists: Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
AJ McCarron, Alabama
Jameis Winston, Florida State

Manziel

Who should win: Manziel, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, might have been the most valuable player in the country this season. He completed 69.1 percent of his passes for 3,732 yards with 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 686 yards and eight scores. Manziel had to produce every time the Aggies took the field because their defense was so porous this season. Winston and McCarron were just as efficient throwing the ball, but the Aggies asked Manziel to shoulder a bigger load.

Who will win: Manziel

Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award (nation's best quarterback)
Finalists:Manziel
McCarron
Winston

Winston

Who should win: Winston, the freshman from Bessemer, Ala., guided Florida State to an undefeated regular season and No. 1 ranking in the BCS standings heading into the national championship against Auburn. He was No. 1 nationally in Total QBR with a 90.9 rating and completed 67.9 percent of his pass attempts for 3,820 yards with 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Winston was No. 8 among FBS quarterbacks in passing yards and 16th in total offense (308.7 yards per game).

Who will win: Winston

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -finalists


Lol at A.J. McCarron winning the Maxwell award. What a joke that was.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: mcshay qb's
mrc44 wrote:
Here is another video , this one against Penn St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JLz-M9E8E

The kid puts the passes right on the money, I want him. You guys gotta watch this kid, he looks like he has a good foundation and a lot of talent.



Watch carefully from about 2:50 to 4:50. He makes some very errant passes (3 really bad ones; and even his good throw (TD) didn't need to make his WR make such a spectacular play either, but that's nitpicking). The bad passes seem to be due to a lack of arm strength on longer throws (2 cases) and when his first read is covered and he is forced to make a quick decision and throws into coverage (Int.).

OTOH, his footwork looks better than Carr. I don't like that he throws a loose spiral. Ugly looking ball. I look forward to seeing him face Baylor.


Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: mcshay qb's
Quote:
Lol at A.J. McCarron winning the Maxwell award. What a joke that was.


Guess they didn't want to give a rapist the award.

Quote:
when his first read is covered and he is forced to make a quick decision


Ugh. one read pony. should be better than this before entering the draft.


Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.