Derek Carr

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Decker85
Backup

Derek Carr

Post by Decker85 »

Ok, I'm from Fresno and I don't mean to sound like a homer but this guy is the real deal. Since Fresno State isnt such a high profile football program (aside from being ranked this year) I was wondering if the general football watching public is aware of what this guy is doing?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... derek-carr
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Derek Carr

Post by dead_poet »

Decker85 wrote:Ok, I'm from Fresno and I don't mean to sound like a homer but this guy is the real deal. Since Fresno State isnt such a high profile football program (aside from being ranked this year) I was wondering if the general football watching public is aware of what this guy is doing?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... derek-carr
Bucky Brooks has him as his #4 overall QB:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... amatically
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Funny...I've been touting him for over a year now and was going to throw his name out in another thread tonight as a guy who compares favorably to Keenam.

I'd be happy with him...but I doubt our OC and staff, as far as developing and getting the most out of guys they draft.
Decker85
Backup

Post by Decker85 »

On top of his play, hes a really likeable guy. Hes a good face of the franchise type player. Instead of making money gestures, hes always leading the team in prayer durring injury timeouts and before/after games, hes married and has a baby, and his interviews are well spoken and always seems to say the right stuff. Im sure that will benifit him in the draft.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

About the only bad thing about him is, he keeps moving up the ranks of QBs. Was hoping he would be a late 2nd/early 3rd.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

One of the scout mocks has the Vikings taking him, saying the Vikings will fall in love with his personality. If they do I hope he is better than his brother.
This space available for rent.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

PurpleHalo wrote:One of the scout mocks has the Vikings taking him, saying the Vikings will fall in love with his personality. If they do I hope he is better than his brother.
David Carr was a decent quarterback that was taken #1 and then put behind a horrid offensive line where he got sacked more than a stripper which in my opinion affects a young QB's psyche. Now, will the Vikings take him with their #1, it depends. If they like Josh Freeman and think with a offseason that he can be the 27 TD 7 int QB he was in Tampa, then they address other needs of the team...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

GBFavreFan wrote: Christian Ponder is extremely likable and humble. He looks like a great franchise type player, he makes no money gestures, says all the right things, is married, and I'm sure a baby is on the way. Ponder also has like three doctorates and aced his Wonderlic or whatever. I think we need to immediately stop looking at that sort of garbage and find a guy who can play QB on the field. Sorry to pounce, but Ponder has completely ruined the notion that any of that stuff has anything to do with anything. If anything Ponder's likeability has given him chance after chance from this team which has sunk this team further and further into a hole. I'll take an a-hole who wins over a likeable loser any day.
Ehhhhhhh???? :o

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I saw him in person when Fresno came to Hawaii this year. He has a nice arm but overall I didn't see anything all that impressive. Maybe a mid-round pick but certainly not a 1st or 2nd in my mind.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: Ehhhhhhh???? :o

Please god, no.
Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Please go, no.
Just sayin'...he personifies who you're describing. So be careful what you wish for. :)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I think Derek Carr will be serviceable and better than his brother. He will not be elite.

If we wanna go the low-tier QB route, I would much rather prefer David Fales. Fales' arm is not a rocket, but it is pretty strong.

Honestly, I don't care who we draft, but damn it, we better draft someone at QB. I care where we draft them though. I don't want another reach.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Decker85
Backup

Post by Decker85 »

GBFavreFan wrote: Christian Ponder is extremely likable and humble. He looks like a great franchise type player, he makes no money gestures, says all the right things, is married, and I'm sure a baby is on the way. Ponder also has like three doctorates and aced his Wonderlic or whatever. I think we need to immediately stop looking at that sort of garbage and find a guy who can play QB on the field. Sorry to pounce, but Ponder has completely ruined the notion that any of that stuff has anything to do with anything. If anything Ponder's likeability has given him chance after chance from this team which has sunk this team further and further into a hole. I'll take an a-hole who wins over a likeable loser any day.
I said it should benifit him in the draft. I didnt say praying and being well spoken would make him a better football player.
Decker85
Backup

Post by Decker85 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I think Derek Carr will be serviceable and better than his brother. He will not be elite.

If we wanna go the low-tier QB route, I would much rather prefer David Fales. Fales' arm is not a rocket, but it is pretty strong.

Honestly, I don't care who we draft, but damn it, we better draft someone at QB. I care where we draft them though. I don't want another reach.
I really like Fales too. I dont see a lot of talk about him either.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Good lord! What a day for Derek Carr. :thumbsup: