View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Derek Carr 
Author Message
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 71
Post Derek Carr
Ok, I'm from Fresno and I don't mean to sound like a homer but this guy is the real deal. Since Fresno State isnt such a high profile football program (aside from being ranked this year) I was wondering if the general football watching public is aware of what this guy is doing?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... derek-carr


Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:23 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23673
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Derek Carr
Decker85 wrote:
Ok, I'm from Fresno and I don't mean to sound like a homer but this guy is the real deal. Since Fresno State isnt such a high profile football program (aside from being ranked this year) I was wondering if the general football watching public is aware of what this guy is doing?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... derek-carr


Bucky Brooks has him as his #4 overall QB:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... amatically

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: Derek Carr
Funny...I've been touting him for over a year now and was going to throw his name out in another thread tonight as a guy who compares favorably to Keenam.

I'd be happy with him...but I doubt our OC and staff, as far as developing and getting the most out of guys they draft.


Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 71
Post Re: Derek Carr
On top of his play, hes a really likeable guy. Hes a good face of the franchise type player. Instead of making money gestures, hes always leading the team in prayer durring injury timeouts and before/after games, hes married and has a baby, and his interviews are well spoken and always seems to say the right stuff. Im sure that will benifit him in the draft.


Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Derek Carr
About the only bad thing about him is, he keeps moving up the ranks of QBs. Was hoping he would be a late 2nd/early 3rd.


Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 am
Posts: 1915
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Post Re: Derek Carr
One of the scout mocks has the Vikings taking him, saying the Vikings will fall in love with his personality. If they do I hope he is better than his brother.

_________________
This space available for rent.


Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:33 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:39 pm
Posts: 564
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Post Re: Derek Carr
PurpleHalo wrote:
One of the scout mocks has the Vikings taking him, saying the Vikings will fall in love with his personality. If they do I hope he is better than his brother.

David Carr was a decent quarterback that was taken #1 and then put behind a horrid offensive line where he got sacked more than a stripper which in my opinion affects a young QB's psyche. Now, will the Vikings take him with their #1, it depends. If they like Josh Freeman and think with a offseason that he can be the 27 TD 7 int QB he was in Tampa, then they address other needs of the team...

_________________
For those with wings, fly to your dreams


Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:47 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23673
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Derek Carr
GBFavreFan wrote:
Decker85 wrote:
On top of his play, hes a really likeable guy. Hes a good face of the franchise type player. Instead of making money gestures, hes always leading the team in prayer durring injury timeouts and before/after games, hes married and has a baby, and his interviews are well spoken and always seems to say the right stuff. Im sure that will benifit him in the draft.


Christian Ponder is extremely likable and humble. He looks like a great franchise type player, he makes no money gestures, says all the right things, is married, and I'm sure a baby is on the way. Ponder also has like three doctorates and aced his Wonderlic or whatever. I think we need to immediately stop looking at that sort of garbage and find a guy who can play QB on the field. Sorry to pounce, but Ponder has completely ruined the notion that any of that stuff has anything to do with anything. If anything Ponder's likeability has given him chance after chance from this team which has sunk this team further and further into a hole. I'll take an a-hole who wins over a likeable loser any day.


Ehhhhhhh???? :o

Image

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10703
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Derek Carr
I saw him in person when Fresno came to Hawaii this year. He has a nice arm but overall I didn't see anything all that impressive. Maybe a mid-round pick but certainly not a 1st or 2nd in my mind.


Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:19 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Derek Carr
dead_poet wrote:
GBFavreFan wrote:
Decker85 wrote:
On top of his play, hes a really likeable guy. Hes a good face of the franchise type player. Instead of making money gestures, hes always leading the team in prayer durring injury timeouts and before/after games, hes married and has a baby, and his interviews are well spoken and always seems to say the right stuff. Im sure that will benifit him in the draft.


Christian Ponder is extremely likable and humble. He looks like a great franchise type player, he makes no money gestures, says all the right things, is married, and I'm sure a baby is on the way. Ponder also has like three doctorates and aced his Wonderlic or whatever. I think we need to immediately stop looking at that sort of garbage and find a guy who can play QB on the field. Sorry to pounce, but Ponder has completely ruined the notion that any of that stuff has anything to do with anything. If anything Ponder's likeability has given him chance after chance from this team which has sunk this team further and further into a hole. I'll take an a-hole who wins over a likeable loser any day.


Ehhhhhhh???? :o

Image


Please god, no.


Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23673
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Derek Carr
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Please go, no.


Just sayin'...he personifies who you're describing. So be careful what you wish for. :)

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6601
Post Re: Derek Carr
I think Derek Carr will be serviceable and better than his brother. He will not be elite.

If we wanna go the low-tier QB route, I would much rather prefer David Fales. Fales' arm is not a rocket, but it is pretty strong.

Honestly, I don't care who we draft, but damn it, we better draft someone at QB. I care where we draft them though. I don't want another reach.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:13 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 71
Post Re: Derek Carr
GBFavreFan wrote:
Decker85 wrote:
On top of his play, hes a really likeable guy. Hes a good face of the franchise type player. Instead of making money gestures, hes always leading the team in prayer durring injury timeouts and before/after games, hes married and has a baby, and his interviews are well spoken and always seems to say the right stuff. Im sure that will benifit him in the draft.


Christian Ponder is extremely likable and humble. He looks like a great franchise type player, he makes no money gestures, says all the right things, is married, and I'm sure a baby is on the way. Ponder also has like three doctorates and aced his Wonderlic or whatever. I think we need to immediately stop looking at that sort of garbage and find a guy who can play QB on the field. Sorry to pounce, but Ponder has completely ruined the notion that any of that stuff has anything to do with anything. If anything Ponder's likeability has given him chance after chance from this team which has sunk this team further and further into a hole. I'll take an a-hole who wins over a likeable loser any day.


I said it should benifit him in the draft. I didnt say praying and being well spoken would make him a better football player.


Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 71
Post Re: Derek Carr
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
I think Derek Carr will be serviceable and better than his brother. He will not be elite.

If we wanna go the low-tier QB route, I would much rather prefer David Fales. Fales' arm is not a rocket, but it is pretty strong.

Honestly, I don't care who we draft, but damn it, we better draft someone at QB. I care where we draft them though. I don't want another reach.


I really like Fales too. I dont see a lot of talk about him either.


Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: Derek Carr
Good lord! What a day for Derek Carr. :thumbsup:


Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Derek Carr
Carr just keeps going up and up. As Does Boyd and Zach.


Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 am
Posts: 1653
Post Re: Derek Carr
I don't like Boyd, honestly reminds me a bit of Josh Freeman. Big guy, mobile and pretty good at keep plays alive in the pocket. But he's extremely erratic with his throws, his ball placement is not good, however he's had very talented WRs who can make plays on off placed footballs.

_________________
Image


Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Derek Carr
saint33 wrote:
I don't like Boyd, honestly reminds me a bit of Josh Freeman. Big guy, mobile and pretty good at keep plays alive in the pocket. But he's extremely erratic with his throws, his ball placement is not good, however he's had very talented WRs who can make plays on off placed footballs.


I was kinda big on Boyd before. He will definitely need a good coach, and at least a year to learn how to play QB in the NFL. Maybe 2 years. And he doesn't play well coming from behind.


Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: Derek Carr
Carr with 6 Tds in the first half.....Fales with 5. :shock:


Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Derek Carr
The Breeze wrote:
Carr with 6 Tds in the first half.....Fales with 5. :shock:



I see six at the half time stats (not watching live). Does anyone play D in the Mountain West?


Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 4016
Location: So. Utah
Post Re: Derek Carr
Texas Vike wrote:
The Breeze wrote:
Carr with 6 Tds in the first half.....Fales with 5. :shock:



I see six at the half time stats (not watching live). Does anyone play D in the Mountain West?

yep...looks like Fales got another right before the half ended. Epic shootout here.


Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23673
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Derek Carr
Derek Carr Carries Fresno St.

Quote:
Carr has already thrown for nearly 4000 yards in operating offensive coordinator David Schramm’s no-huddle, spread offense. Schramm‘s offense is effectively a version of the Air Raid and this is what makes projecting a player like Carr to the NFL difficult.

Fresno State operates almost exclusively with 10 personnel (4 wide receiver, 1 RB, 0 TE) from the shotgun. The Bulldogs throw a high percentage of the time, mixing underneath routes with vertical throws. A large part of the Bulldogs’ offense is the wide receiver screen game, which effectively functions as Fresno State’s running attack. The Bulldogs use flash screens, tunnel screens and the like to constrain the defense and take advantage of defensive backs concerned with the down field passing game.

As a schematic matter, the wide receiver screen game is an effective counter for any passing team. NFL offenses increasingly utilize the outside screen game and if they do not, they probably should. Fresno State is extremely efficient with wide receiver screens and it forms a crucial part of the Bulldogs’ offense.

But it does limit evaluation opportunities of Carr when over half his throws are screen passes.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -fresno-st

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Derek Carr
dead_poet wrote:
Derek Carr Carries Fresno St.

Quote:
Carr has already thrown for nearly 4000 yards in operating offensive coordinator David Schramm’s no-huddle, spread offense. Schramm‘s offense is effectively a version of the Air Raid and this is what makes projecting a player like Carr to the NFL difficult.

Fresno State operates almost exclusively with 10 personnel (4 wide receiver, 1 RB, 0 TE) from the shotgun. The Bulldogs throw a high percentage of the time, mixing underneath routes with vertical throws. A large part of the Bulldogs’ offense is the wide receiver screen game, which effectively functions as Fresno State’s running attack. The Bulldogs use flash screens, tunnel screens and the like to constrain the defense and take advantage of defensive backs concerned with the down field passing game.

As a schematic matter, the wide receiver screen game is an effective counter for any passing team. NFL offenses increasingly utilize the outside screen game and if they do not, they probably should. Fresno State is extremely efficient with wide receiver screens and it forms a crucial part of the Bulldogs’ offense.

But it does limit evaluation opportunities of Carr when over half his throws are screen passes.


http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -fresno-st


Interesting stuff. His brother's difficulty in the NFL scares me a bit too; I feel like it shouldn't, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't.


Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Derek Carr
Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:37 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Derek Carr
Texas Vike wrote:
Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.


Lynch had an absolutely outstanding, record-setting season for NIU so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm delighted, but not surprised. :)


Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Derek Carr
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.


Lynch had an absolutely outstanding, record-setting season for NIU so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm delighted, but not surprised. :)


Carr had better stats than even the shoe-in for the trophy (Winston), but from what I hear a fair amount of that seems due to their offense. Seems to be the topic of the morning: how to interpret QB stats in relation to the system they play in.

Is this Lynch kid coming out for the draft? Do you like him as an NFL prospect? Seems to me that there are a handful of prospects from smaller schools this year (Carr, Lynch, the kid from UCF). Might be nice 2nd to 4th round grabs.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Derek Carr
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.


Lynch had an absolutely outstanding, record-setting season for NIU so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm delighted, but not surprised. :)


Carr had better stats than even the shoe-in for the trophy (Winston), but from what I hear a fair amount of that seems due to their offense. Seems to be the topic of the morning: how to interpret QB stats in relation to the system they play in.

Is this Lynch kid coming out for the draft? Do you like him as an NFL prospect? Seems to me that there are a handful of prospects from smaller schools this year (Carr, Lynch, the kid from UCF). Might be nice 2nd to 4th round grabs.


Lynch is coming out for the draft but he's more of a late round prospect than a 2nd-4th round pick. He runs like a running back, which has been a huge part of his success as a college QB. He set the NCAA FBS single game rushing record by a QB this year with 316 yards rushing and then broke it a few weeks later with a 321 yard rushing performance. He's the fifth QB in NCAA history to throw for 5000 yards and rush for over for 4000 so he throws the ball well but to succeed in the NFL, he'll need more work as a pocket QB and he'll have to tone down his instinct to run a little. That said, he makes good decisions, throws pretty accurately and his intangibles and leadership qualities are off the charts so I do like him as an NFL prospect but as a late round, developmental QB, not a "plug and play" rookie. I just think he'll probably need a few years of refinement with a good coach before he can be a quality NFL starter and he's such a good runner that there will undoubtedly be teams who will want to draft him and ask him to change positions.

Put simply: he offers a lot of upside so I think he's well worth a look but I'm not convinced his game is going to translate to the next level. It's sure been fun watching him in college though... :)


Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: Derek Carr
Umm who the heck wants a running QB? How far did Tebow get? Well other then the 1 year where Denver beat Pitt in the playoffs.

Or do you mean Jimmy Garoppolo From E Ill.? No theres a QB worth taking.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:54 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Derek Carr
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Umm who the heck wants a running QB? How far did Tebow get? Well other then the 1 year where Denver beat Pitt in the playoffs.


Read the post. He's not just a running a QB.

Quote:
Or do you mean Jimmy Garoppolo From E Ill.? No theres a QB worth taking.


He's definitely an intriguing prospect.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Derek Carr
Mothman wrote:

Lynch is coming out for the draft but he's more of a late round prospect than a 2nd-4th round pick. He runs like a running back, which has been a huge part of his success as a college QB. He set the NCAA FBS single game rushing record by a QB this year with 316 yards rushing and then broke it a few weeks later with a 321 yard rushing performance. He's the fifth QB in NCAA history to throw for 5000 yards and rush for over for 4000 so he throws the ball well but to succeed in the NFL, he'll need more work as a pocket QB and he'll have to tone down his instinct to run a little. That said, he makes good decisions, throws pretty accurately and his intangibles and leadership qualities are off the charts so I do like him as an NFL prospect but as a late round, developmental QB, not a "plug and play" rookie. I just think he'll probably need a few years of refinement with a good coach before he can be a quality NFL starter and he's such a good runner that there will undoubtedly be teams who will want to draft him and ask him to change positions.

Put simply: he offers a lot of upside so I think he's well worth a look but I'm not convinced his game is going to translate to the next level. It's sure been fun watching him in college though... :)


Interesting. I think UCF guy (Bortles?) sounds like the most interesting small school prospect. Carr too, but he's likely to go high. I'd like to actually take two QBs: one in Rd 1 and another with that extra 3rd we have. Then again… we have so many defensive holes!


Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.