Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:Since so many people seem to think Murray will be a good pro, how likely is it that he will actually be a day 3 pick? I would think a team that believes his injury won't pose long term problems might draft him on day 2, maybe even in round 2. After all, if you think the guy is a potential franchise QB, why wait and hope he lasts until the 4th round or later?
Certainly possible but there's still a good amount of QBs that are likely to be taken ahead of him on day two. I think Grappolo and Mettenberger are two of them.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

S197 wrote: Certainly possible but there's still a good amount of QBs that are likely to be taken ahead of him on day two. I think Grappolo and Mettenberger are two of them.
I would group all three of them together and think that they have as good of chance of all making it as Carr does.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Purple bruise wrote: I would group all three of them together and think that they have as good of chance of all making it as Carr does.
Well Jim is asking how likely it will be that he even lasts until the third day. I agree that all are around the similar tier (my choice being Mett) but it only takes one team to really like a certain player so who knows.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

S197 said, "Well Jim is asking how likely it will be that he even lasts until the third day. I agree that all are around the similar tier (my choice being Mett) but it only takes one team to really like a certain player so who knows.[/quote]

I have a hunch that Murray will be "that guy" that a team jumps up into the 2nd round and takes him. He and Brees remind me a whole lot of each other.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Film Room: UCF's fast-rising Blake Bortles not elite QB
I believe we should pause a bit before anointing Central Florida's Blake Bortles as the next great franchise quarterback. Now, I know I might be the dissenting voice on his potential based on the buzz that is building in his favor, but I believe the tape reveals a good, not great, college player. That doesn't mean that I can't see a handful of teams viewing him as a future starting quarterback, but I didn't see an elite player when I studied the tape. Here are my thoughts on the fastest-rising prospect in college football:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... t-elite-qb
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:S197 said, "Well Jim is asking how likely it will be that he even lasts until the third day. I agree that all are around the similar tier (my choice being Mett) but it only takes one team to really like a certain player so who knows.
I have a hunch that Murray will be "that guy" that a team jumps up into the 2nd round and takes him. He and Brees remind me a whole lot of each other.[/quote]

I have the same hunch. It wouldn't even surprise me if he was taken ahead of someone like Garappolo or Mettenberger. It think it just depends on how teams rate these guys and how they believe they'll fit into the team.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback on my question, fellow Vikes fans!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Film Room: UCF's fast-rising Blake Bortles not elite QB
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... t-elite-qb
Thanks for the link. I always enjoy reading Brooks' thoughtful, detailed takes on players.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

UCF's Pro Day streaming live today at 11 a.m. CST: http://www.jaguars.com/live/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet wrote:UCF's Pro Day streaming live today at 11 a.m. CST: http://www.jaguars.com/live/
Bortles reportedly to throw around 1 p.m. CST
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I don't watch a lot of pro days, but it was very "meh" by my eyes. Some wobbly passes, he missed a few, not great placement on a few completions and more overthrows on deep routes than I would've liked to have seen. I don't know what I expected, but I was underwhelmed. I'll be curious to see what the "experts" say about it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pelissero:
I had Bortles at 41-of-50. Six of the misses deep. Several overthrows.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Right now on ESPN, Todd McShay says Blake Bortles is now his top QB in the draft over watching him live over Teddy. Jaws agrees.
One coach at Bortles' Pro Day texted that he did a "nice job" ... "Drove the ball down the field, accurate in the pocket and on the run. Coach added that Bortles was a little stiff, but overall looked better than Bridgewater. Said BB showed his strength today.
@AlbertBreer on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

According to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, who covered today's workout, Bortles was satisfactory. And that’s a step up from Mayock’s level of disappointment with Bridgewater’s shaky and inaccurate effort on Monday.

“I thought [the workout] looked like it was supposed to look like,” Mayock said of Bortles’ pro day. “When you’re talking about a 6-foot-5, 229-pound quarterback, he’s athletic, and that’s obvious. … I thought it was really solid from every perspective. … Really good arm strength. I wouldn’t say elite, but I’d say really good. I think the word for this kid is `potential.’ Young, he’s got a lot of work to do and I can see that on tape. But what I saw out there is he’s potentially a franchise quarterback.”
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/56735627.html
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for all of the above, dead_poet, especially your own impressions.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote:I don't watch a lot of pro days, but it was very "meh" by my eyes. Some wobbly passes, he missed a few, not great placement on a few completions and more overthrows on deep routes than I would've liked to have seen. I don't know what I expected, but I was underwhelmed. I'll be curious to see what the "experts" say about it.
I saw this on my phone:

ESPN - Blake Bortles had outstanding pro day, likely to be 1st QB taken in NFL draft, says ESPN's Ron Jaworski

And then I read your opinion, and I was confused. :) You posted some positive thoughts from a few experts, but did any of them come away "underwhelmed" as you did? I'm actually curious. "Outstanding" and "meh" are very conflicting views! I suppose reality is somewhere in between... I'm just shocked you didn't come away with something more positive, especially after reading that other comment.