Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: A.J. McCarron will be the future of the Minnesota Viking

Post by Eli »

AJ McCarron is now considered a 2nd round prospect? Seriously? Or is it just that you want to jump ahead of all those teams who will pounce on him in the 3rd round? :lol:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

McCarron is a Matt Lienhart, Matt Barkley clone. Very much a product of the system. No team in their right mind would spend a second round pick on him. That would be like taking T-joke 2.0. No thanks.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Purple bruise wrote:McCarron is a Matt Lienhart, Matt Barkley clone. Very much a product of the system. No team in their right mind would spend a second round pick on him. That would be like taking T-joke 2.0. No thanks.
A clone? C'mon, man. No way.

What quarterback do you like in this draft?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PacificNorseWest wrote: A clone? C'mon, man. No way.

What quarterback do you like in this draft?
I really like Murray (late 2nd or early third) and Garoppolo. I bet that they both are gone before MCarron.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Oh good, another Vikings QB thread. We don't have enough of thsoe.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:Oh good, another Vikings QB thread. We don't have enough of thsoe.
Only difference is that after the weekend of May 10th, this one will be the only one that is right. Just made sure it was documented properly.

And who doesn't love talking quarterbacks? Get outta here.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote: I really like Murray (late 2nd or early third) and Garoppolo. I bet that they both are gone before MCarron.
Whether they go before McCarron or not, is irrelevant to what they actually do in the NFL.

Your opinion is your opinion, but to have such strong negative opinions towards Teddy and now A.J. is silly considering both Murray and Garoppolo are more risky prospects then the former.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Your opinion is your opinion, but to have such strong negative opinions towards Teddy and now A.J. is silly considering both Murray and Garoppolo are more risky prospects then the former.[/quote]

Yeah well I am not comparing them to Teddy. Teddy will be a first round pick and Murray will be a late second or third round choice. But your boy will slide to the 3rd or fourth or fifth or sixth round, I would guess. Sorry if you don't like the fact that I have my own opinions about Teddy an McCarron and call them "silly". Let's just see how this all plays out.

My choice in QBs are Bortles one and JFB 2 but they will likely be gone when the Vikes pick unless they move up.

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote:Your opinion is your opinion, but to have such strong negative opinions towards Teddy and now A.J. is silly considering both Murray and Garoppolo are more risky prospects then the former.

Yeah well I am not comparing them to Teddy. Teddy will be a first round pick and Murray will be a late second or third round choice. But your boy will slide to the 3rd or fourth or fifth or sixth round, I would guess. Sorry if you don't like the fact that I have my own opinions about Teddy an McCarron and call them "silly". Let's just see how this all plays out.

My choice in QBs are Bortles one and JFB 2 but they will likely be gone when the Vikes pick unless they move up.
It's not your opinion that bothers me. Not at all. I've heard reasonings for why you don't like Teddy, but the view on A.J. is so off, it's ridiculous. He is nothing like Leinart or Barkley. You leaked blood with that comment and I could smell it. :lol: I just wanna know your evaluations after a comment like that.

You're fixated on the draft positioning, which again, is irrelevant. Ask Russell Wilson about it.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I have now convinced myself that A.J. McCarron is the franchise quarterback that the Minnesota Vikings have been waiting for. He has pulled even with Teddy (my opinion) and with how my receptiveness has grown weekly on AJ in the NFL, I'm certain he will be my favorite come draft time.

If you're dying to hear why, then I guess I'll have to tell you...

He's steady...Efficient. You know what you'll get.

He has experience with a pro-style offense and can play from under center, which seems to me more and more a rarity these days. From everything I've seen of the kid, he can progress through his reads better than most college quarterbacks do when they come into the NFL. He's accurate. He's accurate even under pressure. Moxy is what comes to mind. After the Nat'l Championship game a few years ago when we heard from Barrett Jones postgame that A.J. called him out in the huddle, I knew he was fiery and not scared to take control. He's a leader. He's won. And then won again. I like his size. Good height, sturdy weight....Durable. Did he even miss a game at Alabama?

Only negative I foresee coming form analysts is arm strength, but I'm not too concerned as long as he can make the mid-range throws consistently and accurately, which he seems to be able to do. Patterson will go after the deep balls.

This is the guy, folks. Get ready and then get used it. You'll like it. I promise.

THANK YOU!!!! Finally someone else who knows a franchise QB when they see one. Everything you said is spot on, what stands out to me about him than any other QB this draft that he is very consistent. The throws come out very fluent. His offensive awareness is very good, he knows where his WRs will be and gets the ball out very quickly.

He's a leader and demands perfections from his teammates. I remember that Notre Dame game when McCarron and Jones bumped heads. Even when the game was already theirs the win, his leadership is what really won me over on him as a future NFL QB.

And no he has never missed a game at Alabama. He rarely puts himself in position to get hurt or let alone hit. Some may argue that he was behind a great O-Line but I've seen many games where teams put the pressure on McCarron. That doesn't affect him at all, he'll just rip the ball out quicker.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Eli wrote:AJ McCarron is now considered a 2nd round prospect? Seriously? Or is it just that you want to jump ahead of all those teams who will pounce on him in the 3rd round? :lol:
I think most analyst have him projected in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I think he will go in the second as well.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PacificNorseWest wrote: It's not your opinion that bothers me. Not at all. I've heard reasonings for why you don't like Teddy, but the view on A.J. is so off, it's ridiculous. He is nothing like Leinart or Barkley. You leaked blood with that comment and I could smell it. :lol: I just wanna know your evaluations after a comment like that.

You're fixated on the draft positioning, which again, is irrelevant. Ask Russell Wilson about it.
Ask Russell Wilson huh. How about Luck, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Elway, Aikman, Newton too name just a few.
So you are implying that of all the available QBs in this draft you would take McCarron and proclaim him as "the future of the Vikings" as your topic suggests? Wow, that to me is pretty far out there but to each there own. :wink:

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

So, still not going to give me legitimate football reasons why you like those Q's?

This draft doesn't have a Manning or Andrew Luck in it. You brought up draft positions, not me. I don't get what your point is, but to sidestep the question I keep asking you.
AP_AD28
Rookie

Post by AP_AD28 »

AJ McCarron is now considered a 2nd round prospect? Seriously? Or is it just that you want to jump ahead of all those teams who will pounce on him in the 3rd round?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543497

If you dont like McCarron thats fine, I wouldve agreed with you at one point, but if he fits what the team is looking for, why not grab him before someone else does? It isnt going to take much to move from the top of the 3rd to the middle/bottom of the 2nd for a QB you like. I DO agree with you on Murray, I like him more than McCarron.
McCarron is a Matt Lienhart, Matt Barkley clone. Very much a product of the system. No team in their right mind would spend a second round pick on him. That would be like taking T-joke 2.0. No thanks
McCarron is in no way like Leinhart, who was a top 10 prospect. And the jury is still out on Barkley, who has had a very small sample size to make judgment.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PacificNorseWest wrote:So, still not going to give me legitimate football reasons why you like those Q's?

This draft doesn't have a Manning or Andrew Luck in it. You brought up draft positions, not me. I don't get what your point is, but to sidestep the question I keep asking you.
Wow, really :confused: You bring up Russel Wilson, I guess to point out that he was a third round pick and is very good and I brought up several 1st round QB picks that have done as good or better than Wilson. I assure you that the odds of drafting a good QB is much higher in the first round than in later rounds. There are those exceptions of course Brady and Wilson come to mind.
I am not side stepping anything. The QBs that I brought up stand on their own merrit. JFB (Heisman winner) a great competitor and was extremely good during his brief stint at AM. Bortles has all the size, arm strength, and most experts pick him to go early in the draft. Garoppolo and Murray are outstanding competitors and have very high ceilings. Murray broke several of the passing records of the SEC (no small accomplishment) and reminds me of Brees. Turn on the game film and see what you think. I am very impressed, sorry if your not, that is your opinion.
Time will tell who was right or wrong. I am just hoping that where ever the Vikes find their franchise QB he will be the missing component to propel them to the Super Bowl.