Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I wouldn't mind spending a pick on guys like Logan Thomas, Stephen Morris, or Casey Paschal in the low rounds for developmental type guys. This of course assumes we draft someone in the first round without reaching.

Unfortunately, that may be asking for too much.
Casey Pachall has been terrible this year. Also has had some pretty serious problems w/ the law and w/ addiction issues. He's physically got the tools, but I don't think he'll ever make it. Maybe as a UFA, but not worth a pick IMO.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Brooks' updated rankings: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-scrutiny

#1: Winston
#2: Bridgewater
#3: Manziel
#4: Carr
#5: Petty
#6: Mariota
#7: Boyd
#8: McCarron
#9: Hundley
#10: Murray

Explanations and 11-16 at the link.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

One NFL scout believes "if Russell Wilson can take a team to the Super Bowl" Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel "can do all that and more."
"He’s the reason they win -- and you can’t say anything better about a player," another NFL talent evaluator said to the Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin. "If you are the reason, that’s a big statement." Manziel's pocket movement is both his gift and his curse, but it is impossible to deny that the redshirt sophomore has improved as a passer this season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:
I really hope someone talks this punk into staying in school another year.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mariota had not thrown an interception this season until he had two in the loss to the Wildcats. He had two more interceptions in the first half against the Beavers.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333332483

interesting to see how quickly things can change for prospects. Mariota's stock has to have come down a fair bit. He was rumored to be leaning towards staying at Oregon; my guess is the dip in his play as of late will reinforce that.

Manziel will need a much better game today vs. Missouri than he had vs. LSU to not suffer a similar fall in his draft stock.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Of course, Russell Wilson hasn't actually played in a Super Bowl so that NFL scout is getting bit ahead of himself. :) However, his point is clear and Manziel is clearly a special college player. It will be interesting to see if he can translate his success to the pros.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Boyd's average pass distance was 2.9 air yards downfield. 350 of his 378 pass yards were after the catch #CLEMvsOSU #OrangeBowl
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

As I was watching the playoff games yesterday, I was thinking about where the QBs in this year's playoffs were drafted and how many of them were literally the first player chosen when they were selected. It's interesting to note that while 1/3 of these playoff QBs were chosen with the first pick, and 5 of them were chosen in the top 4 of the draft, 6 of them weren't even chosen in the first round! I know we've discussed this before but it's fascinating to me. There can clearly be real value in getting an elite, top-of-the-draft QB prospect but it's just as clear that playoff-caliber QBs and championship-caliber QBs can be found all over the draft.

Starting QBs in the 2013 season playoffs:

Round 1
Andrew Luck: R1, pick 1
Alex Smith: R1, pick 1
Cam Newton: R1, pick 1
Peyton Manning: R1, pick 1

Phillip Rivers: R1, pick 4
Aaron Rodgers: R1, pick 24

Round 2
Drew Brees: R2, pick 32
Andy Dalton: R2, pick 35
Colin Kaepernick: R2, pick 36

Round 3
Russell Wilson: R3, pick 75
Nick Foles: R3, pick 88

Round 6
Tom Brady: R6, pick 199
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'll take the 50% chance of a first round QB over 50% for the rest of the field! Also the number of QBs taking after the first has to be significantly higher than the number taken in the first.

Didn't go through every year, but interesting to note that Fran was the fourth QB taken in that draft. Culpepper was the fourth. Ponder was the fourth. Jackson was the fifth. Kramer was the second, at pick 27. Bono, who went on to major success with U2, was the third Qb in that draft...in the sixth round in 85. (Cunningham being the first taken, not until pick 37 of the second round)

And once again we find ourselves desperately needing a QB, but picking too late to likely get either of the top 1 or 2 prospects. Who it's just as like as not won't pan out.

As much as I'd love a top flight young franchise QB, maybe Denny had the right idea, the only successful year we've had in the last decade was with Favre, the rest of it was barely watchable quarterbacking.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:
Damn really? It really didn't seem like that. All I know is Boyd's throw on the run to Sammy Watkins in the end zone was a ridiculous throw and an ever better catch.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Damn really? It really didn't seem like that. All I know is Boyd's throw on the run to Sammy Watkins in the end zone was a ridiculous throw and an ever better catch.

Good find. Those stats have to be incorrect. Just from watching highlights I saw the ball travel in the air more than what those stats indicate.

Watkins looks like a seriously talented prospect. WR is VERY strong in this year's draft.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Texas Vike wrote:
Good find. Those stats have to be incorrect. Just from watching highlights I saw the ball travel in the air more than what those stats indicate.

Watkins looks like a seriously talented prospect. WR is VERY strong in this year's draft.
ya those stats aren't even mathematically possible. By those stats, he apparently only threw the ball for 28 yards before YAC and averaged 2.9 yards per throw. Which would mean he'd have to complete less than 10 passes, when he actually completed 31.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

Please say no to Boyd.

A Gamecock fan who has seen him get handled for 4 years against USC.

2013 19/27 225 0 2
2012 11/24 183 1 2
2011 11/29 83 1 1
2010 10/18 73 0 0
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Nowhere was Blake Bortles name mentioned.
He might go 1, 2, or 3 !
He has the look and measurables of Andrew Luck. Throws a very similar ball too.
Not sure if he comes out, but I would expect him too.

Also, Braxton Miller is a Junior, I think, and the backup Kenny Guiton, who I think is a better passer, is a 5th year Senior. I would love for the Vikings to add Guiton later in the draft.

Also, Hundley staying in college is a good thing IMO. Not ready to be an NFL QB, but next year, he will be the real deal with Winston and Mariota.