Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by dead_poet »

Scout: Too soon to call Mariota franchise QB

One NFC North scout believes it is too soon "to make sweeping assertions" about Oregon redshirt sophomore Marcus Mariota's potential as a franchise QB.

"He is athletic and does have some arm talent, but we haven't seen enough of him to determine if he can make big-time throws in a pro offense," the scout added. "I need to see more of him before I'm convinced he's an upper-echelon guy." This is proof that Mariota doesn't get enough credit for winning in the pocket. He is poised and decisive despite many former Oregon passers not possessing this trait. One vice president of player personnel for an NFC team called Mariota "the real deal," and another NFC South scout seemed to agree with that statement.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I have a hunch that this part of the board will pick up a lot more looks and posts as the Vikes descend into complete ineptitude this season and we start to look towards the draft more and more.

I like what I've seen from Mariota; I hope he comes out. I need to try to catch this QB from UCLA.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:I have a hunch that this part of the board will pick up a lot more looks and posts as the Vikes descend into complete ineptitude this season and we start to look towards the draft more and more.

I like what I've seen from Mariota; I hope he comes out. I need to try to catch this QB from UCLA.
Hundley got hurt against Stanford last week. I don't know the extent of his injury. He'll be up against the Ducks this weekend A guy to take a good look at is Derek Carr @ Fresno. He's my pick for sleeper. Should be available in the 2nd rd IMO...only cause I don't ever hear any mention of him in the media.

Smart guy, good pocket awareness and footwork. Not real big but has a decent arm. Not a cannon, but he has plenty of zip and is accurate.

Kinda reminds me of a Phil Simms or Trent Green type.....not real flashy.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: Hundley got hurt against Stanford last week. I don't know the extent of his injury. He'll be up against the Ducks this weekend A guy to take a good look at is Derek Carr @ Fresno. He's my pick for sleeper. Should be available in the 2nd rd IMO...only cause I don't ever hear any mention of him in the media.

Smart guy, good pocket awareness and footwork. Not real big but has a decent arm. Not a cannon, but he has plenty of zip and is accurate.

Kinda reminds me of a Phil Simms or Trent Green type.....not real flashy.
I'd heard about Carr, but Fresno's games are never on in this part of the country. That UCLA vs. Oregon game will be a good one. I hope Hundley plays.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote: I'd heard about Carr, but Fresno's games are never on in this part of the country. That UCLA vs. Oregon game will be a good one. I hope Hundley plays.
I must have confused Hundley with someone else. Sounds like he is ok. Will be good game. I think Stanford dimmed Hundley's star last week. I doubt this game will be anything but a shootout.

Stanford will play the Ducks next week....and they held Mariota in check last time.

The games are finally getting good.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

"He'll rip it up at the next level...he's really special."
- UCLA coach Jim Mora on Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. »
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college- ... ortscenter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ex-scout: I'd be shocked if Carr isn't top-10

Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff would be "shocked" if Fresno State senior QB Derek Carr is not a top-10 selection in May.

Middlekauff believes Carr has the "best pure passing arm" in the class and adds David's younger brother will rise from January to May. Carr will almost certainly be invited to the Senior Bowl, which will put him on an even playing field with other top senior passers. We like that he is not falling away from pressure as much as last season, but Carr isn't traditional from a footwork standpoint.
Source: John Middlekauff on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bucky Brooks' updated QB rankings

QB tracker: Marcus Mariota up to No. 1; keep tabs on Derek Carr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... derek-carr
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:Ex-scout: I'd be shocked if Carr isn't top-10

Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff would be "shocked" if Fresno State senior QB Derek Carr is not a top-10 selection in May.

Middlekauff believes Carr has the "best pure passing arm" in the class and adds David's younger brother will rise from January to May. Carr will almost certainly be invited to the Senior Bowl, which will put him on an even playing field with other top senior passers. We like that he is not falling away from pressure as much as last season, but Carr isn't traditional from a footwork standpoint.
Shoot...this was what I was hoping against...but then it's silly to think that our scouts would see something everyone else didn't regarding QBs....well, except maybe our guys thinking to highly of a mediocre talent....((sigh))
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

McShay: Mariota now No.1 QB, jumping 20 spots

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay now lists Oregon redshirt sophomore Marcus Mariota as the class' No. 1 QB and No. 2 overall prospect.

McShay previously ranked Mariota at No. 22. "He has a very quick release and good arm strength, elite speed as a runner and he has shown significant improvement so far this season with his accuracy," McShay writes. "He's still raw, but his potential is through the roof." There is a legitimate case for Mariota being the No. 1 pick in May since he wins from the pocket and when stretching defenses with his feet.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... -nfl-draft

#2 (overall) Mariota
Analysis: Mariota moves ahead of Teddy Bridgewater this week as the No. 1 quarterback in these rankings. I did an in-depth scouting report on him last week, but in short, he has a very quick release and good arm strength, elite speed as a runner and he has shown significant improvement so far this season with his accuracy. Not only does he have the explosiveness as a runner to make him effective in the zone-read, it's clear on tape his ability to make several "wow" throws -- fitting passes into tight windows downfield, showing good anticipation, etc. He's still raw, but his potential is through the roof.
#3 (overall) Bridgewater
Analysis: To reiterate what I said up top, Bridgewater's drop from No. 2 to No. 3 in these rankings has nothing to do with Bridgewater's performance; it's merely a product of Mariota's rise up the board. If these two continue to play well, it's going to be a very interesting race to see which QB will be the first one taken in the 2014 draft. Bridgewater has a quick release, above-average accuracy and is a good athlete. He also displays toughness and has the temperament you look for at the position.
#30 (overall) Manziel
Analysis: Manziel injured his shoulder in the Aggies' loss to Auburn on Saturday, and even though he returned later in the game it's unclear whether he'll be available to play this week against Vanderbilt. (Coach Kevin Sumlin described Manziel's status as "hopeful.") We've bumped him up from a third-round grade to a second-round grade this season based on his improved arm strength and ability to go through his progressions. His off-field issues will certainly get plenty of attention in the draft process from interested NFL teams, but he has unique improvisation and playmaking abilities, and is explosive as a runner.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I hope Mariota keeps moving ahead of Teddy. That way if we get first pick we can trade down one and still get teddy. Or f we get a later pick, teddy may be there. I personally still like Boyd over Mariota in starting day 1 for us.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Ex-scout: I'd be shocked if Carr isn't top-10

I saw him play in person and was not impressed at all. He does have a great arm but other than that he looked rather ordinary. They nearly lost to Hawaii who hasn't won a game all season and that offense basically let Hawaii back in the game in the 2nd half with numerous turnovers.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

What does everyone have against AJ?

And if we get Boyd, does Watkins come with him?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Watching Aaron Murray against a good Florida defense (almost 250 yards in the FIRST QUARTER) just rip up the field. I have liked Murray for a long time, and he keeps showing poise and accuracy downfield, something the Vikings haven't had since Cunningham and George were the QBs. I would love to see him in Purple next season.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Watching Aaron Murray against a good Florida defense (almost 250 yards in the FIRST QUARTER) just rip up the field. I have liked Murray for a long time, and he keeps showing poise and accuracy downfield, something the Vikings haven't had since Cunningham and George were the QBs. I would love to see him in Purple next season.
He's a midget, but watching him play, can't hold it against him at all. The guy is a passer. Stays in the pocket. Moves around to buy time. Has more than enough arm. He's the only guy other than Bridgewater that I think will translate to the NFL. Obviously anyone could end up having success but these are the only two I've seen that really looked like they have what it takes.
What does everyone have against AJ?
How many NFL top 3 rounders is he surrounded with? Probably the most talent in the nation. He just looks average, slightly above...with a ton of talent. There's no way I'd take the risk of drafting a player who's played with such a huge talent advantage around him. You need to minimize risk...and a question mark like this is massive risk.