2013 NFL Draft features boom-or-bust prospects

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2013 NFL Draft features boom-or-bust prospects

Post by dead_poet »

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... iggy-ansah
WIDE RECEIVER: Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee -- I love the raw tools that Patterson possesses. He is a vertical weapon and he's an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands. However, he only has one year of Division I experience and teams have been less than impressed with him during the interview process.
QUARTERBACK: Mike Glennon, N.C. State -- Glennon has outstanding size and arm strength, and he flashes the ability to accurately squeeze the football into very tight windows. However, he can generate turnovers in bunches when things start to go downhill. Will he end up being the next Joe Flacco or will his career path mirror Derek Anderson's?
CORNERBACK: Darius Slay, Mississippi State -- Slay is one of the fastest risers in this draft class. He put on a show at the combine by running an impressive 4.36. He played in the shadow of Johnthan Banks at Mississippi State, but he's surpassed the Thorpe Award winner on several draft boards since the end of the college season. I love his tools but his footwork is very raw and he'll need some time to develop.
Others at the link.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: 2013 NFL Draft features boom-or-bust prospects

Post by Eli »

I think this is what many analysts have been saying all along, although it applies mostly to the high-profile positions like WR, QB, CB, DE. With at least six offensive linemen projected in the top 20, it's easy to see that many teams will be shying away from the boom-or-bust types early on and trying to find some low-profile sure things.

That whole thing about there not being a huge range of difference in the top 50 picks could mean that there are a lot of safe bets in the first two rounds. But it could just as easily be interpreted as meaning that this is a difficult draft to tell the difference between the stars and the duds.

I see this as a draft where there are going to be a lot of boom or bust types available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and some teams are going to kill it by finding a few superstars in the middle of the draft.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

CORNERBACK: Darius Slay, Mississippi State -- Slay is one of the fastest risers in this draft class. He put on a show at the combine by running an impressive 4.36. He played in the shadow of Johnthan Banks at Mississippi State, but he's surpassed the Thorpe Award winner on several draft boards since the end of the college season. I love his tools but his footwork is very raw and he'll need some time to develop.
Sounds a little like another Josh Robinson, except even more raw. Having 4.3 speed helps some, but it certainly doesn't make you a great cornerback.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Eli wrote: Sounds a little like another Josh Robinson, except even more raw. Having 4.3 speed helps some, but it certainly doesn't make you a great cornerback.
Robinson also had good tackling on his resume
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great