Ogletree-MLB

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Ogletree-MLB

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote:Because it's not that much of a gamble IMHO.
Risk-reward analysis and it would depend how highly Te'o is rated on their board compared to some guys below him. If they really want him, it doesn't make much sense to trade down (unless the trade compensation is outstanding). A lot of unknowns.
Plenty of mocks have Teo going in the 2nd. There is far from any consensus that the teams you mentioned would be inclined to spend their 1st on Teo.
No consensus that they'd pass either.

We'll know soon (but not soon enough)!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Even if everyone passes on Teo the same teams ahead of us in the first are ahead of us in the second so then you'd need all of them to pass again or trade up. Not to mention the Ravens lost Ray Lewis so I think they'd be happy if their first round pick at 32 was Manti Teo, that's a good player for picking dead last.

You can trade down but the Ravens sitting there at 32 really makes it risky imo. The most realistic scenario that works out is not trying to get Teo at all but as he slides into the second we trade up, from our second rounder to get him. Of course if we're REALLY high on Teo, this is super risky.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

dead_poet wrote: Yikes. Then we'd better bypass all the LBs in this draft. They were all pretty bad vs. Alabama. :shock:

Kevin Minter vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYCtqkLa-U

Alec Ogletree vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8
It's always possible that your sarcasm is hitting the nail on the head. It's a weak draft year. Maybe we should pass on this position of need and grab a better player at a different position.

For me, I want players who step up in the big games. That's how teams win Superbowls, not lose NFC Championship games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:I think we will end up tradin one of our first rounders and get atleast a 2nd and a third. Te'o will be gone and we can most likely grab Arthur Brown early second or kiko Alonso later. If we get a good DT and a great cb, I think we can deal with a player like Alonso in the middle. Idk, my mind is going 50 different ways and I dot even know what I am saying anymore. I have over analyzed EVERYTHING!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!
:rofl:
I know what you mean. My brain is filled with too much pre-draft information. At this point, I just need the draft to happen and then I can focus on the players the Vikes actually select instead of spreading my focus to all of the players they could potentially select.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: Yikes. Then we'd better bypass all the LBs in this draft. They were all pretty bad vs. Alabama. :shock:

Kevin Minter vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYCtqkLa-U

Alec Ogletree vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8
Excellent point. I'm not sure why anyone would have a difficult time buying into the fact that Bama simply was that good. They won the SEC, which is the best conference in the nation, and then went on to humiliate Notre Dame in the BCS game. Their offense had two 1000 yard rushers that combined for 29 TDs and a QB that threw for 30 more TDs, plus they had a great OL.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

losperros wrote: Excellent point. I'm not sure why anyone would have a difficult time buying into the fact that Bama simply was that good. They won the SEC, which is the best conference in the nation, and then went on to humiliate Notre Dame in the BCS game. Their offense had two 1000 yard rushers that combined for 29 TDs and a QB that threw for 30 more TDs, plus they had a great OL.
Exactly. Even great players have bad games. It's a team sport, no player can win a game all on his own that isn't named Adrian Peterson. I repeat, NO PLAYER not named Adrian Peterson.

Heh, even Adrian has his off games. :lol:

These are a good crop of linebackers no matter how you look at it. Are they elite? Probably no more than during most years...but there seem to be more really good linebackers than normal. It's like a draft with 4 Greenway-caliber talents. I don't think anyone has a problem with Chad Greenway around here (I did when he was drafted, and I'll be honest about it...I was unimpressed with his combine strength scores and thought a lot of bigger backs would break his tackles), and I don't have a problem with the Vikings having one more of his talent level. Actually, I think it would solve a lot of problems they've had for the past couple years.

The Vikings defense was far more solid when they had a Greenway-Henderson-Leber corps. If you have two guys who are good and one that's solid, it really fills up a lot of holes (and that defense usually had only Winfield playing well in the secondary).

Besides, if your defense forces a lot of 3 and outs, you get to see AD more! All that said, I'm definitely in the tank for Brown or Minter. Te'o...yeah, I'm lukewarm to the Vikings spending a first rounder on him, but it's not a big deal. Ogletree has kind of become my least wanted player of that top 4. I really feel like he's a 3-4 guy all the way. None of these top 4 are Urlacher type talents, and I'd definitely rather not compare them to Ray Lewis. But I'd have no problems thinking they could be like Willis or Takeo Spikes.
-Rus