Ogletree-MLB

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Ogletree-MLB

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I couldn't care less about Notre Dame. But I do know if Te'bow plays for any other school he's not a Heisman finalist and isn't talked about as much.
How do you "know" that? The actual Tebow (I was amused by your re-spelling of Te'o above... clever) received a crazy level of hype and he didn't play for Notre Dame.
Even if Notre Dame had an offensive player worth a damn this year neither of those things happen.
They did: Tyler Eifert, a likely first round pick.
As for Ogletree. He may or may not get arrested. But even if he does it won't be on a weekly basis thus needing to be talked about. I'm tired of the circuses from The Love Boat to the Whizzanator to Favre (x3) to Moss II and everything that involved Baldylocks (And even Harvin to a much lesser extent). The circus is finally leaving town we don't need to tell it to come back.
I don't like the circus atmosphere either but I seriously doubt that will linger long with Te'o unless he does something extremely newsworthy or controversial to prolong it.
I'd prefer Arthur Brown to both taking everything into account.
Now there's a player who may be over-hyped in this draft.... not that I don't think he can play. I just think a lot of folks have moved him up boards because he's not Te'o or Ogletree rather than because he actually belongs in the middle of the first round.
It seems Me, Demi and VikingLord are in the minority here but not wanting Te'o doesn't make us Notre Dame haters (well I don't know if they are but I'm not.)
Good to know... I just don't buy the "it's all because he played at Notre Dame" explanations. Rather than Te'o getting over-hyped because of where he played, I think he was hyped because of how he played and what he and the team he played for achieved last year by completely defying expectations and getting into the National Championship game.
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Yikes. Then we'd better bypass all the LBs in this draft. They were all pretty bad vs. Alabama. :shock:

Kevin Minter vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYCtqkLa-U

Alec Ogletree vs. Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8

...and all the defensive players in this draft who struggled against Alabama.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Mothman wrote:
...and all the defensive players in this draft who struggled against Alabama.
Or why not just every player that ever struggled against any SEC team or any team at all. They struggled they're gonna suck! :puke:
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

If there's anything that is overhyped about Te'o it the "overhyped" label he has received. The notion that he is so vastly overhyped because of the team he played for is, to be very blunt, absolutely ridiculous.

Now let me start out by saying, yes I do believe Te'o was overhyped to an extent in college. The claims that he was the best MLB prospect to come in the past decade were exaggerations. The top 10 "lock" predictions were over selling him. And I would even say that the Heisman nomination, while not completely unfounded, was probably also an exaggeration of the year he had. But so what? Why does "overhyped" have to = bad player? Why when hype is taken to one extreme does everyone who disagrees feel the need to take it to the exact opposite extreme? It's silly. There are a lot of overhyped prospects that don't end up taking the extreme scrutiny for it, as Te'o has. Lets look at say Star Lotulelei. Once universally considered the top DT prospect and a top 5 selection, now you'll rarely see him considered as high. Does this mean he's a bad prospect or should drop out of the first round? Absolutely not. His hype was too high, and now that has been corrected and he sits where he rightfully should.

What exactly does playing for Notre Dame have to do with Manti Te'o's hype. Last time I checked there were 11 starters on that Notre Dame defense, and numerous talented Golden Domers who played at a high level for the team who never received the notoriety that Te'o has. How come playing for Notre Dame automatically puts Te'o in the spotlight and make him so overhyped, but yet a talented player like Harrison Smith fly somewhat under the radar as far as "hype" just one year ago. If Te'o is really just an "everyman" average player who is boasted for playing on Notre Dame, why aren't the other average Gold Dome defenders who started for Notre Dame's "magical season" Zeke Motta and Kapron Lewis-Moore so heavily overhyped?

If playing for Notre Dame's defense is the only qualification it takes to be so vastly overhyped, why is it that Te'o is the only one to be nominated for the Heisman? Where are all the other Golden Domers' collegiate awards?

Maybe we should stop simply looking at the college team he played for and look at the kid himself. Maybe the answer to those questions is because those other players are not the talent that Te'o is. Maybe just maybe, Te'o's a great football player who just happened to receive a little more praise than he deserved. Maybe his hype came from being the best player on one of the best (if not the best) defenses in the country. Maybe being the leader of that defense is the reason he gets so much attention. Maybe it's because his coach believes he has the best intangibles and leadership of any football player he's ever coached in the 20+ years he's been a coach that makes Te'o so warrant such hype.

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me those aren't negatives. His hype was over exaggerated, sure. But where there's smoke, there's fire. The media didn't simply play pin the tail on the Golden Domer to decide which Notre Dame player would receive all their praise. He earned that praise, not for the team he played for, but how he played for that team. To suggest otherwise is asinine.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

People that admittedly do not watch college football but Teo does NOT pass their eye test WTF :wallbang:
How is this for an eye test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfkFuJDPd4

PLEASE draft this kid if he is there :smilevike:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Lotulelei has dropped because he has a heart condition.

No, he was dropping before the heart condition was discovered, and since has been cleared medically to a point where the heart condition isn't really a factor.

Fact of the matter is Star is not and never has been a disruptive player. He is a very solid DT prospect, but he isn't an elite talent.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I'm kind of getting sick of the Ogletree/Urlacher comparisons.

Ogletree can't hold a candle to Brian Urlacher, not in terms of pure workout numbers. Urlacher was an absolute beast. His combination of size, strength, and speed was almost unique for a middle linebacker.

Ogletree is shorter, lighter, and slower than Brian Urlacher. He's closer to Ray Lewis or Takeo Spikes if you were to compare him with a well-regarded linebacker. As I went back and watched a few old Georgia games, I got kind of an uneasy feeling that the guy was benefiting from some excess hype. (I don't get into the off-the-field stuff, as that requires actually talking to a guy to understand...the media twists those things out of proportion all the time.)

At this point, I actually like Arthur Brown a lot more. I think he's got better instincts for the position. Ogletree has those moments where he just blows everything up, but he also has moments where you can't figure out why he was totally taken out of a play. Brown, on the other hand, doesn't seem to make those sorts of mistakes, and he's bigger than originally advertised (which size was the biggest knock on Brown...he's actually about as big as Te'o). I actually like Minter more too, but that one's close. The knock on Minter was that he was slow...and that might show up when he's actually playing...but his combine numbers didn't show that. Still a lot faster than Audie Cole.

I don't think Ogletree will play the middle well in a NFL offense, let alone a 4-3. I think he could be pretty good inside in a 3-4, and could play really well outside in a 4-3...but I wouldn't think he's a middle. I don't think his instincts are sharp...and you need instincts, not insane speed/quickness to play the middle.
-Rus
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Mothman wrote:
The more I read claims that Te'o was overhyped because he played at Notre Dame, the more I wonder if a lot of the people making that claim just don't like Notre Dame (and let's face it, there are plenty of football fans who fall into that category).
I say he's overhyped, and I'm fine with Notre Dame. The guy got a LOT of coverage, and built a very captivating media story that got a lot of attention...which other linebackers didn't benefit from. The guy made himself into a household name by marketing himself brilliantly (until he was caught...and that even made him more well-known). I just think there's some risk involved in regards to whether or not his skills translate really well to the pros. I don't compare him to Tebow or whatever...that's just ridiculous. They don't play the same position, for one, and for another, Tebow has always been almost a gimmicky wildcat quarterback whereas Te'o obviously is equipped to play the middle spot in any conventional defense. But I do think there are other linebackers that might be a safer bet and a better fit for the Vikings defense.

Even with the comparisons to Chris Spielman, the Vikings don't really run the same defense as the 80's Bears. Ultimately, the guys who define how this defense looks are Williams, Singletary, and Frazier. Judging from the types of linebackers they seem to prefer, Te'o kind of seems like an apple vs. a bunch of oranges. (Then again, they drafted Audie Cole, so who knows)

The only thing that sucks about drafting linebackers is that they tend to have no trade value. Teams generally can have their pick in the middle rounds in any draft, and plenty more in free agency, so trading for them is kinda rare. Running backs, wide receivers, and quarterbacks generally have all the value...but in a draft like this where there aren't a lot of trade worthy quarterbacks, the Vikes might as well load up on those spots that they'd otherwise consider dealing around.
-Rus
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Purple bruise wrote:People that admittedly do not watch college football but Teo does NOT pass their eye test WTF :wallbang:
How is this for an eye test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfkFuJDPd4

PLEASE draft this kid if he is there :smilevike:
No one has to watch college football religiously to form an opinion on a prospect, especially this time of year.

Also, nice video. It almost beats the one you posted after searching my name and assuming some dorky video had something to do with me. lol. Anyways, ironically, this is the same video I was unimpressed with from the start. Again, nice try. :) My Grandma could make some of these plays. No joke. She just had back surgery today though, so let's give her a couple weeks. :)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

MelanieMFunk wrote: No one has to watch college football religiously to form an opinion on a prospect, especially this time of year.

Also, nice video. It almost beats the one you posted after searching my name and assuming some dorky video had something to do with me. lol. Anyways, ironically, this is the same video I was unimpressed with from the start. Again, nice try. :) My Grandma could make some of these plays. No joke. She just had back surgery today though, so let's give her a couple weeks. :)
Oh no, I have once again been "T-Joked". :yawn:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Purple bruise wrote: Oh no, I have once again been "T-Joked". :yawn:
Yeah. And I've been cyberstalked. I'll let you decide which one is worse. :wink:
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

those highlights dont make minter look good but ogletree made some plays. he also missed some tackles like overrunning Yeldon. but he made some nice stops on the goal line. he's quick too. just looks like a good football player
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: It seems Me, Demi and VikingLord are in the minority here but not wanting Te'o doesn't make us Notre Dame haters (well I don't know if they are but I'm not.)
I want to make it clear - it's not that I don't want the Vikings to draft Teo. I just don't want them to spend one of their 1st rounders on him. If they take him in the 3rd I'd be OK with it.

I know there is no way Teo makes it to the 3rd, but that doesn't change my personal opinion that he's a late 3rd to early 5th round prospect. Someone posted that half of the teams have Teo rated as a 1st rounder, but that means half don't, and if that is true one would hope a GM like Spielman would at least try to trade down into the early 2nd to get him if that is the guy he really wants. I think Teo will easily make it into the top half of the 2nd round if Minnesota passes on him. I'm not sure he falls all the way to their 2nd rounder in that scenario, but the only team that looks like it could take Teo in the 1st right now is Minnesota. Go figure.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote:Someone posted that half of the teams have Teo rated as a 1st rounder, but that means half don't, and if that is true one would hope a GM like Spielman would at least try to trade down into the early 2nd to get him if that is the guy he really wants.
Why would he make that gamble?
I think Teo will easily make it into the top half of the 2nd round if Minnesota passes on him. I'm not sure he falls all the way to their 2nd rounder in that scenario, but the only team that looks like it could take Teo in the 1st right now is Minnesota. Go figure.
In addition to the Vikings, he's been linked to the Bears, Giants and Ravens.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote: Why would he make that gamble?
In addition to the Vikings, he's been linked to the Bears, Giants and Ravens.
Because it's not that much of a gamble IMHO. Plenty of mocks have Teo going in the 2nd. There is far from any consensus that the teams you mentioned would be inclined to spend their 1st on Teo.