Matt Barkley

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Matt Barkley

Post by S197 »

The Vikings will pick in the 22-24 range depending on today's other game outcomes. At one point Barkley was considered a #1 pick but his stock has plummeted. I'm not a huge fan of his but if he's sitting there do the Vikings pass? Is he this years version of Aaron Rodgers?

Depth at WR is pretty good in this draft and I don't see a LB in this area (both Teo and jones long gone). Poyer (CB Oregon St) seems a bit early too. If I'm Spielman I'm looking for a guy whose draft stock has dropped more than it should, I think Barkley and Keenan Allen are prime candidates.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Matt Barkley

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:The Vikings will pick in the 22-24 range depending on today's other game outcomes. At one point Barkley was considered a #1 pick but his stock has plummeted. I'm not a huge fan of his but if he's sitting there do the Vikings pass? Is he this years version of Aaron Rodgers?

Depth at WR is pretty good in this draft and I don't see a LB in this area (both Teo and jones long gone). Poyer (CB Oregon St) seems a bit early too. If I'm Spielman I'm looking for a guy whose draft stock has dropped more than it should, I think Barkley and Keenan Allen are prime candidates.
I'd be surprised if Allen was there at our pick. If he is, I don't see how he's not the guy. Depending on combine performance, there's also Terrance Williams and Justin Hunter to consider. I'd also probably take Alexander Ogletree, Johnathan Hankins and/or Johnthan Banks before Barkley. Here's my reasoning: I don't know if the upgrade from Ponder to Barkley would be as significant as, say, Ogletree over Brinkley (or any of the WRs in this class over Jenkins/Simpson). I guess I'm not impressed with Barkley and haven't given up on Ponder to the point that I'd spend our first pick on the third or fourth best QB in a very weak QB class.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: I'd be surprised if Allen was there at our pick. If he is, I don't see how he's not the guy. Depending on combine performance, there's also Terrance Williams and Justin Hunter to consider. I'd also probably take Alexander Ogletree, Johnathan Hankins and/or Johnthan Banks before Barkley. Here's my reasoning: I don't know if the upgrade from Ponder to Barkley would be as significant as, say, Ogletree over Brinkley (or any of the WRs in this class over Jenkins/Simpson). I guess I'm not impressed with Barkley and haven't given up on Ponder to the point that I'd spend our first pick on the third or fourth best QB in a very weak QB class.
All dependent on the knee for Allen. Woods coming out helps the odds. Not a fan of Williams to be honest but I like Hunter. Ogletree might be the guy but he isn't even the best LB on the team, how much benefit did he get playing with Jones?

I just see Barkley as the biggest possibility for the QB slide. Will he be an Aaron Rodgers or a Brady Quinn? It's tough but if Spielman has him valued high (say top 10 pick) I don't see how he passes. The guy was the top QB not long ago and look how badly USC played without him in the bowl game. Ponder may not need 1st round competition, I get we have bigger holes but I just see Barkley as a potential huge steal late in the 1st.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I don't see the Vikings taking a QB in the first round, but would pleasantly surprised if they do. Gonna be a WR or possibly a CB.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I'll say this: Unless Barkley REALLY impresses the scouts, I'd be happier if he slid to the Vikings in the second. He's kind of the opposite of Cam Newton, and drafting a guy who's a little under the prototypical size, without great feet, not a great arm, but great intangibles makes me feel like throwing a first round pick would be a big risk.

Geno Smith is alright. He's really a second round quarterback that looks better because the guys who were supposed to be better weren't. He makes plays, doesn't make too many mistakes, he could be a good facilitator. He seems like a guy that should be able to run a WCO reasonably well. He kind of seems like he's a Christian Ponder-like quarterback.

This isn't a good year for quarterbacks. Mel Kiper doesn't have ANY of them going in the first round in his mock. There are about 3-4 quarterback starved teams in the top 10, too. Not counting the Vikings, who'd love to have a very talented insurance policy in case Christian Ponder's improvement over the last few games of the season was a mirage. And Kiper thinks ALL of those teams will pass in the first.

Unless you're the Chiefs (and maybe Browns...but their front office would know no end of shame to do so one year after drafting their "immediate QB fix" high), a quarterback in the first round this year is a reach. Just slim pickings after a couple of solid quarterback classes.

If the Vikings do go quarterback, they should really take a long look at EJ Manuel. He's a project, but a very promising one. He's also another Florida State quarterback, so there's that. But he's also 6'5" and 235 pounds, a terrific athlete with very good feet, and has a big arm. That's an advantage over Christian Ponder right there.
-Rus
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Rus wrote:I'll say this: Unless Barkley REALLY impresses the scouts, I'd be happier if he slid to the Vikings in the second. He's kind of the opposite of Cam Newton, and drafting a guy who's a little under the prototypical size, without great feet, not a great arm, but great intangibles makes me feel like throwing a first round pick would be a big risk.

Geno Smith is alright. He's really a second round quarterback that looks better because the guys who were supposed to be better weren't. He makes plays, doesn't make too many mistakes, he could be a good facilitator. He seems like a guy that should be able to run a WCO reasonably well. He kind of seems like he's a Christian Ponder-like quarterback.

This isn't a good year for quarterbacks. Mel Kiper doesn't have ANY of them going in the first round in his mock. There are about 3-4 quarterback starved teams in the top 10, too. Not counting the Vikings, who'd love to have a very talented insurance policy in case Christian Ponder's improvement over the last few games of the season was a mirage. And Kiper thinks ALL of those teams will pass in the first.

Unless you're the Chiefs (and maybe Browns...but their front office would know no end of shame to do so one year after drafting their "immediate QB fix" high), a quarterback in the first round this year is a reach. Just slim pickings after a couple of solid quarterback classes.

If the Vikings do go quarterback, they should really take a long look at EJ Manuel. He's a project, but a very promising one. He's also another Florida State quarterback, so there's that. But he's also 6'5" and 235 pounds, a terrific athlete with very good feet, and has a big arm. That's an advantage over Christian Ponder right there.
I saw one mock that had us taking Manuel in the 4th.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Texas Vike wrote: I saw one mock that had us taking Manuel in the 4th.
Vikings should seriously consider drafting a big arm qb like glennon or tyler bray for the future in the later rounds. let him hold a clipboard and develop him. big arm qb's have been winning superbowls. flacco, eli manning, big ben Roethlisberger. :smilevike:
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

I cant see us taking a QB in the first 5 rounds
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: This.

I would not be surprised if Barkley and/or Manuel and/or Nassib sneak into the first round given how teams reach for need. It happens every year, with Ponder and Weeden being recent examples.
So maybe trading our 25 pick back for one of the QB desperate teams?
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Eli wrote:I don't see the Vikings taking a QB in the first round, but would pleasantly surprised if they do. Gonna be a WR or possibly a CB.
if Vikings do, they will draft a qb late. schaub likes qbs with a high nfl IQ not necessarily a great athlete. maybe tyler Wilson, mike glennon, tyler bray.