View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 am



Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST) 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Hey draftniks, you can listen to Mike Mayock's pre-draft media call today:

Quote:
With one week to go before the 2013 NFL Draft, NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock is holding his annual pre-draft media call Thursday at 1 p.m. ET, and for the first time, NFL.com will provide fans access to listen to Mayock's call. Log onto nfl.com/mayockdraftcall and listen while Mayock answers dozens of questions from the media about the 2013 NFL Draft. The live streaming audio will be accompanied by highlight packages of draft prospects and graphics on NFL team needs.


I hope I can remember to tune in...


Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Listening now...


Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 7946
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
I missed who Mayock was talking about at Georgia - was it Ogletree? He said that he is NOT an outside linebacker, can't see the guy dropping back into coverage, but would make a good 4-3 DE.

Edit: Nevermind. Pretty sure it must have been Cornelius Washington.


Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 8438
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Missed the whole thing, Mayocks really hatin on Ogeltree it sounds like though!


Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 7946
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
mondry wrote:
Missed the whole thing, Mayocks really hatin on Ogeltree it sounds like though!


No, read my edit. He was talking about Washington and just said that he's more suited to DE than 3-4 OLB.


Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 8438
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Eli wrote:
mondry wrote:
Missed the whole thing, Mayocks really hatin on Ogeltree it sounds like though!


No, read my edit. He was talking about Washington and just said that he's more suited to DE than 3-4 OLB.


Ah, good to know. From Mayocks previous article's it didn't seem like a stretch haha.


Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
mrc44 wrote:
I listened to the majority of it and I didn't hear a single person call in about the Vikings... Wtf!?


Star Tribune reporter Dan Wiederer asked him a Vikings question (about wide receivers) within the first half hour.


Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 7946
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Here's a transcript of the call (PDF file):

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/201 ... script.pdf


Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23667
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Quote:
Found it interesting Mike Mayock said on conf. call he thinks Cordarrelle Patterson will slide & #Vikings will have to make choice at 23/25. Will write more on it next week, but scouts definitely have concerns about Patterson, both on and off field. Really cool talent, though.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 8438
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Found it interesting Mike Mayock said on conf. call he thinks Cordarrelle Patterson will slide & #Vikings will have to make choice at 23/25. Will write more on it next week, but scouts definitely have concerns about Patterson, both on and off field. Really cool talent, though.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter


Yeah it seems more and more the hype is fading around this guy and the negatives are starting to catch up to his physical ability.


Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
mondry wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Found it interesting Mike Mayock said on conf. call he thinks Cordarrelle Patterson will slide & #Vikings will have to make choice at 23/25. Will write more on it next week, but scouts definitely have concerns about Patterson, both on and off field. Really cool talent, though.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter


Yeah it seems more and more the hype is fading around this guy and the negatives are starting to catch up to his physical ability.


I wouldn't draft him until R2. He's way too risky...


Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 pm
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am
Posts: 131
Location: Braham, Minnesota
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Mothman wrote:

I wouldn't draft him until R2. He's way too risky...


Curious to know what you think is so risky about Patterson?

_________________
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great


Image


Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 7946
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Both Austin and Patterson are big risks.

Austin is like a micro Percy Harvin, so doesn't even have Harvin's ability to function as an occasional running back and is a much smaller receiving target. Maybe he could be used as a back, but at his size he'd last about two seasons in the NFL. The Vikings don't need another receiver who they really can't figure out how to best utilize.

Patterson is as raw as raw gets. His forte is almost exclusively in handling the ball after a catch. IMO, he has a "BUST" warning sign written on his forehead in neon letters. You can ignore that, because he has an incredible ceiling, but it would a big risk to do so in the first round. I wouldn't even want him in the late second or third round. The Vikings need solid wide receivers who can contribute immediately, not guys who are projects.


Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
CaptainKirov wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I wouldn't draft him until R2. He's way too risky...


Curious to know what you think is so risky about Patterson?


Eli summed my feelings up nicely. Patterson is raw and at this point, he's basically a great open field runner/athlete who will face a huge learning curve at the next level. I think he's a huge risk to be a bust.


Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am
Posts: 131
Location: Braham, Minnesota
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
mrc44 wrote:
CaptainKirov wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I wouldn't draft him until R2. He's way too risky...


Curious to know what you think is so risky about Patterson?


He can only run a 10 yard slant and a hook lol. Plus he dumber than a box of rocks. There are just as many negatives as positives with Patterson. The only positives is height, weight, elusiveness, multiple roles. He is t even a wr really. He has a lot to work on and has troubles learning, so unfortunately it will probably take some serious time getting him in shape to be a every down wideout.


A 10 yard slat and hook routes may be all he is asked to run. The vikings rely heavily on short throws in their variation of the west coast offense. And the kid can run deep routes rather well. His intermediate routes need the most work. But realistically i dont see him being asked to run many deep routes and his knowledge of short routes will definitely help him while he develops his deep routes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34PaCvgBFI

Just a fun little look at the stuff he can do

_________________
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great


Image


Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 pm
Posts: 4026
Location: Northeast, Iowa
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
CaptainKirov wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34PaCvgBFI

Just a fun little look at the stuff he can do



Nice video! Thanks for sharing! That was pretty intriguing.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Eli wrote:
Patterson is as raw as raw gets. His forte is almost exclusively in handling the ball after a catch. IMO, he has a "BUST" warning sign written on his forehead in neon letters. You can ignore that, because he has an incredible ceiling, but it would a big risk to do so in the first round. I wouldn't even want him in the late second or third round. The Vikings need solid wide receivers who can contribute immediately, not guys who are projects.


I agree. The only things Patterson does well is make big game saving plays, get separation and catch the ball, get great yardage after the catch, and turn it up big time as a returner, plus he was dropped into a trial by fire situation at Tennessee where he displayed a good learning curve. But aside from that trivial stuff, what's good about the guy? Remember, he dropped a few passes. Very risky.

Patterson can do little for the Vikings aside from improve their passing game and probably be a top returner. But he would have a lot to learn. And it's not like any of the other WRs in the draft would need any time at all to develop. They will be NFL ready right away. Yeah, right.


Last edited by losperros on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:40 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm
Posts: 3776
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Eli wrote:
Both Austin and Patterson are big risks.

Austin is like a micro Percy Harvin, so doesn't even have Harvin's ability to function as an occasional running back and is a much smaller receiving target. Maybe he could be used as a back, but at his size he'd last about two seasons in the NFL. The Vikings don't need another receiver who they really can't figure out how to best utilize.

Patterson is as raw as raw gets. His forte is almost exclusively in handling the ball after a catch. IMO, he has a "BUST" warning sign written on his forehead in neon letters. You can ignore that, because he has an incredible ceiling, but it would a big risk to do so in the first round. I wouldn't even want him in the late second or third round. The Vikings need solid wide receivers who can contribute immediately, not guys who are projects.


I think the question still becomes, what kind of WR are the Vikings looking for? Are they looking for that deep threat to open up the offense? Wright has proven he can get deep and Simpson was signed as someone that was "supposed" to be able to stretch the field. Are they looking for that intermediate route runner? Jennings is going to be best served in that role and that's where Rudolph is going to be best because he can't stretch the field. The Vikings might be looking for the kind of player Patterson is. Just someone they can get the ball in his hands and he can make a play. If Wright continues to develop at best they will only need him to be a 3rd WR and they can bring him along slowly with Jennings as his mentor on the route running side of things. He may actually be the best fit for the Vikings offense.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
losperros wrote:
Eli wrote:
Patterson is as raw as raw gets. His forte is almost exclusively in handling the ball after a catch. IMO, he has a "BUST" warning sign written on his forehead in neon letters. You can ignore that, because he has an incredible ceiling, but it would a big risk to do so in the first round. I wouldn't even want him in the late second or third round. The Vikings need solid wide receivers who can contribute immediately, not guys who are projects.


I agree. The only things Patterson does well is make big game saving plays, get separation and catch the ball, get great yardage after the catch, and turn it up big time as a returner, plus he was dropped into a trial by fire situation at Tennessee where he displayed a good learning curve. But aside from that trivial stuff, what's good about the guy? Remember, he dropped a few passes. Very risky.

Patterson can do little for the Vikings aside from improve their passing game and probably be a top returner. But he would have a lot to learn. And it's not like any of the other WRs in the draft would need any time at all to develop. They will be NFL ready right away. Yeah, right.


LOL! Said without a trace of sarcasm, Craig... ;)

The way I see it, there's no doubt Patterson offers great upside and there's no doubt he has the kind of natural ability that could lead him to become a star someday. With a raw-but-extremely talented player like Patterson, I don't think the question is whether he's worth drafting, but when he's worth drafting, and obviously opinions vary widely on that. I'd love to see him playing for the Vikings but in terms of risk/reward, will he be a better pick at #20 or #25 than everyone else on the board? Would he be worth trading up to acquire?

Honestly, I have no idea. My gut says the risk outweighs the reward enough that he'd be a great player to take a chance on in R2 but perhaps too risky for R1. Of course, he'll probably be long gone by R2.

I'm notoriously wrong about these things so Patterson will probably be the Rookie of the Year.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
MrPurplenGold wrote:
think the question still becomes, what kind of WR are the Vikings looking for? Are they looking for that deep threat to open up the offense? Wright has proven he can get deep and Simpson was signed as someone that was "supposed" to be able to stretch the field. Are they looking for that intermediate route runner? Jennings is going to be best served in that role and that's where Rudolph is going to be best because he can't stretch the field. The Vikings might be looking for the kind of player Patterson is. Just someone they can get the ball in his hands and he can make a play. If Wright continues to develop at best they will only need him to be a 3rd WR and they can bring him along slowly with Jennings as his mentor on the route running side of things. He may actually be the best fit for the Vikings offense.


Well said. It really comes down to what the Vikes want and how they see whichever receiver(s) they draft fitting into their offensive plans.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Listen to Mike Mayock today at Noon (CST)
Mothman wrote:
LOL! Said without a trace of sarcasm, Craig... ;)

The way I see it, there's no doubt Patterson offers great upside and there's no doubt he has the kind of natural ability that could lead him to become a star someday. With a raw-but-extremely talented player like Patterson, I don't think the question is whether he's worth drafting, but when he's worth drafting, and obviously opinions vary widely on that. I'd love to see him playing for the Vikings but in terms of risk/reward, will he be a better pick at #20 or #25 than everyone else on the board? Would he be worth trading up to acquire?

Honestly, I have no idea. My gut says the risk outweighs the reward enough that he'd be a great player to take a chance on in R2 but perhaps too risky for R1. Of course, he'll probably be long gone by R2.

I'm notoriously wrong about these things so Patterson will probably be the Rookie of the Year.


Sarcasm? What sarcasm? :D

I guess I'm a little annoyed at anyone throwing stones at Patterson when he's proven on the field that he's a valuable weapon. That said, I agree with your analysis above. As I've said before, I'm not sure I want the Vikings to invest a R1 pick on any of the WRs, though I certainly won't complain if they do. Still, R2 or R3 seems better to me. Like yourself, I could easily be wrong.

Something we might want to consider is that Patterson is someone to draft, develop and grow with, since the Vikings are a rebuilding team. They're thankfully not an "all in" win the Super Bowl this year or bust team (and I'm so glad that particular Chili mentality is gone). So as MrPurpleGold said, it comes down to the Vikings drafting the kind of WR they are looking for, whoever that might be.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.