Aaron Mallette interview

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainKirov
Starter

Aaron Mallette interview

Post by CaptainKirov »

I love this kid. So humble and is my sleeper pick in the draft. I really hope the vikings take a shot on this kid in the draft. I think he could be SOTD

Here's the interview:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1602 ... ters-wrong
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Aaron Mallette interview

Post by Eli »

losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Thanks for the link. We'll see what happens with him.

Quite honestly, I don't believe I've ever seen Mallette play but he seems interesting. There are always a few sleeper picks in the draft.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Way faster than Jenkins ever was. 4.45 40 and it shows on film. The kid can go get the big play. Unlike Jenkins who was unable to much of anything

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Thanks for the heads up on this kid.

6-3, 217, 4.45 40 yd. dash (4.53 on his pro-day, which he did w/ NC State; Elon didn't have one :D ).

Huge production, granted at a lower (non-FBS) level, but that's likely because he made the transfer from basketball late in High school. Lots to like there.

Just for reference sake his last name is spelt Mellette. CBS sports has him projected for the 5th round. Might take a flier on him w/ our 2nd 4th round pick.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692413

I'd still prefer Josh Boyce if he's around.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am not trying to rain on the guy's parade, but how many times have we seen a favorite 'sleeper' receiver leading up to the draft? How many times have those sleeper picks actually lived up to expectations?

Again, I am not trying to be critical. I am just saying I am a little jaded of all these popular 'sleeper' receivers every year who don't pan out. Guys get projected grades for a reason. Now, that is not to say a guy can out play his draft position (believe me, we have all seen it happen every year). Ultimately, I love the draft, but it is the world's biggest crap shoot.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I am not trying to rain on the guy's parade, but how many times have we seen a favorite 'sleeper' receiver leading up to the draft? How many times have those sleeper picks actually lived up to expectations?

Again, I am not trying to be critical. I am just saying I am a little jaded of all these popular 'sleeper' receivers every year who don't pan out. Guys get projected grades for a reason. Now, that is not to say a guy can out play his draft position (believe me, we have all seen it happen every year). Ultimately, I love the draft, but it is the world's biggest crap shoot.
Im guessing you got your hopes up on sleeper picks one too many times and it just ruined it for you?

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

CaptainKirov wrote: Im guessing you got your hopes up on sleeper picks one too many times and it just ruined it for you?
Short answer: no.

I remember a few years ago a lot of people where on the Jaymar Johnson hype train. Personally, I never bought into the Jaymar Johnson hype. To be honest, the only later round picks I have actually got my hopes up for have been in recent drafts and include: Greg Blue (06, no idea why the hell we released him after one season), Everson Griffen (stud), Christian Ballard (hope he still gets a shot), DeMarcus Love (jury still is out), and Brandon Burton (looks like he will not get a shot).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I remember a few years ago a lot of people where on the Jaymar Johnson hype train. Personally, I never bought into the Jaymar Johnson hype. To be honest, the only later round picks I have actually got my hopes up for have been in recent drafts and include: Greg Blue (06, no idea why the hell we released him after one season)
I think I do: Blue was a hard hitter but he was terrible in coverage, which is probably why he isn't in the league anymore.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Short answer: no.

I remember a few years ago a lot of people where on the Jaymar Johnson hype train. Personally, I never bought into the Jaymar Johnson hype. To be honest, the only later round picks I have actually got my hopes up for have been in recent drafts and include: Greg Blue (06, no idea why the hell we released him after one season), Everson Griffen (stud), Christian Ballard (hope he still gets a shot), DeMarcus Love (jury still is out), and Brandon Burton (looks like he will not get a shot).
Where Melette is rated hes a low risk, high reward guy. Just like Johnson. They spent a 7th rounder on him i believe and what did they lose? Nothing. Getting excited for a 6th or 7th rounder and it ending in disappointment is better than a 1st rounder ending in disappointment. To me its just all in good fun to find one guy that nobody wants and just hope he becomes good so you can sit back and laugh at the rest of the league for missing on him.

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: I think I do: Blue was a hard hitter but he was terrible in coverage, which is probably why he isn't in the league anymore.
IIRC, Blue filled in for Tank Williams before we signed Dwight Smith. Idk, I liked what I saw from Greg Blue. I guess I thought Blue was a option for depth but management felt otherwise.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

CaptainKirov wrote: Where Melette is rated hes a low risk, high reward guy. Just like Johnson. They spent a 7th rounder on him i believe and what did they lose? Nothing. Getting excited for a 6th or 7th rounder and it ending in disappointment is better than a 1st rounder ending in disappointment. To me its just all in good fun to find one guy that nobody wants and just hope he becomes good so you can sit back and laugh at the rest of the league for missing on him.
I understand, as that should be the goal of every draft pick (in theory). All I am saying is there is always a player in the later rounds that is hyped up and ultimately fails to make gains in the NFL. Everyone is always trying to find the next Tom Brady. However, I think sometimes people and media types fail to realize how big of an anomaly Tom Brady's career has been.