2013 NFL Draft Rankings: Quarterbacks

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2013 NFL Draft Rankings: Quarterbacks

Post by dead_poet »

I like this dude. He's worth a follow on Twitter. Good article.

http://nflphilosophy.com/2013-nfl-draft ... rterbacks/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Re: 2013 NFL Draft Rankings: Quarterbacks

Post by losperros »

Very interesting article. I like the way he constructs his analysis.

That said, I can't understand his ranking of Tyler Bray, who isn't just occasionally inaccurate. Bray's big saving graces last season were the circus catches by Patterson and Hunter on his too often errant throws. Not that Bray doesn't have an arm, he possesses a rocket launcher. But as the Florida Gators proved last season, Bray wears down if you keep pressure on him and force him to move around, which he hates doing. Against the Gators, the second half of the game was rife with Bray making rushed and bad decisions. Tennessee's offense had a whopping -8 yards on its last three possessions, while Bray finished with 7 straight incompletions. And the Gators won the game.

Just my two cents but in no way is Bray the #1 QB in the draft..
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I like this dude. He's worth a follow on Twitter. Good article.

http://nflphilosophy.com/2013-nfl-draft ... rterbacks/
That was definitely a good read and it's nice to see him go into detail about why he made the choices he made. It was also nice to see some love for Zac Dysert, who I think could be worth spending a pick on as a developmental QB.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote:Very interesting article. I like the way he constructs his analysis.

That said, I can't understand his ranking of Tyler Bray, who isn't just occasionally inaccurate. Bray's big saving graces last season were the circus catches by Patterson and Hunter on his too often errant throws. Not that Bray doesn't have an arm, he possesses a rocket launcher. But as the Florida Gators proved last season, Bray wears down if you keep pressure on him and force him to move around, which he hates doing. Against the Gators, the second half of the game was rife with Bray making rushed and bad decisions. Tennessee's offense had a whopping -8 yards on its last three possessions, while Bray finished with 7 straight incompletions. And the Gators won the game.

Just my two cents but in no way is Bray the #1 QB in the draft..
Yep, he's one of "those" guys. First player is an insanely huge reach as the #1 QB but he's got a Howitzer for an arm and tons of physical stuff so he's worth it! Forget how he actually looks under pressure or if he's accurate or not, he can throw the ball 80 yards in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is interesting though how he basically puts a lot of blame on Patterson / Hunter (he just says WR's but it's obvious) and I have been hoping we avoid Patterson like the Plague so who knows.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote:It is interesting though how he basically puts a lot of blame on Patterson / Hunter (he just says WR's but it's obvious) and I have been hoping we avoid Patterson like the Plague so who knows.
Why on earth would you want the Vikings to avoid Patterson like the plague? How many times have you actually seen him play?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Plenty of NFL scouts broke down take on plenty of complete busts. Let's not act like watching someone play against guys who in many cases won't even make it out of practice squads is a way to determine if a guy is legit. Patterson has some pretty big question marks. And I wouldn't want them to draft the guy in the first or second round.

As far as quarterbacks, I hope they come out of the draft with someone to replace Webb/MBT as a third string option to work with. Waste of time to even keep these two on the roster. Maybe a Landry Jones, Zac Dysert type. With some experience we can work on to compete at some point, or at worst a backup with some significant ncaa playing time under their belt. Mid to late round flyer on someone they think might have what it takes.

And I pity the team that drafts Nassib! :puke:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote:Plenty of NFL scouts broke down take on plenty of complete busts. Let's not act like watching someone play against guys who in many cases won't even make it out of practice squads is a way to determine if a guy is legit. Patterson has some pretty big question marks. And I wouldn't want them to draft the guy in the first or second round.
And let's not assume when a guy plays good football against some of the best college defenses in the nation that it means he's going to be a bust. How else would you determine whether or not a player has skills?

I wouldn't take any of the WRs in the first round. But Patterson? If the Vikings could get him in R2, that would be fine with me.