My Guidelines for the Draft, especially the first round.

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Yurahomer
Waterboy

My Guidelines for the Draft, especially the first round.

Post by Yurahomer »

Heres how i hope the front office handles the Draft -

#1 - If Austin, Patterson, and Allen are off the board by the time we draft, we DO NOT take a WR in round 1. I like Hopkins, Hunter, Dobson, and Woods also but they are reaches at our pick. If in this situation the front office can package one of our first round picks and trade back into the early second round and pick up an addition 3rd or 4th ... than great lets do it. If not we go a different position.

#2 - If a guy falls to us that should not be there regardless of position we need to take him. I.E. Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes, Johnathon Cooper, Jarvis Jones, or Bjoern Werner come to mind. Some of these guys might be more Luxuries than pressing needs however you do not pass up elite prospects for lesser prospects of need

#3 - I think Manti Teo is going to be one of our picks if he is available. Some people might not love this pick, however i think it is a great value at when we pick and fills a position of Extreme need at the same time. In the situation of equal valve prospects, our front office needs to consider the depth available at the positon as well. If it comes down to Sylvester Williams and Manti Teo the FO needs to take Teo because the depth at LB is a lot less than at DT

Mock Draft -
#23 - Keenan Allen - WR CAL ---- has legit #1 Potential and only falls to us because of injury plagued offseason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF0N9S_ZDg
#25 - Manti Teo - MLB Notre Dame --- starting linebacker day 1
#52 - John Jenkins - DT Georgia --- Fills the Void that we have had since Big Boy Pat williams left
#82 - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU --- similar player to Antoine Winfield, makes sense especially if we dont resign Winny
#102 - TJ McDonald S USC -- Big Fearsome safety in the middle who will challenge Sanford for the starting spot opposite H. Smith (what a Duo that would be)
#120 - Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas -- Charlie Johnson's eventual replacement .. kid has a lot of upside
#155 - William Gholston DE Michigan St. --- Depth and ST's this year ... not a need so much now, but with Allen, Robson, and Griffen all set to be FA's .. yikes
#189 - Aaron Mellette WR Elon -- WR' with some upsides, could be a solid #5, #4 next year when simpson leaves ... Maybe Practice squad for a YR
#213 - John Lotelelei OLB UNLV -- depth signing, nothing special but good on ST's and was very efficent and a team leader/captian in college
#229 - Knile Davis RB Arkansas -- Loads of potential but very injury prone ... this is a boom/Bust gamble Pick

I would absolutely THRILLED if the draft went down this way

OFFENSE
QB - Ponder
RB - Peterson
WR - Jennings
WR - Allen (R)
Slot - Wright
TE - Rudolph
OT - Kalil
OG - Johnson, but eventually Bailey (R)
C - Sullivan
OG - Fusco
OT - Loadholt

DEFENSE
DE - Allen
DT - Williams
NT - Jenkins (R)
DE - Robson
LB - Greenway
ILB - Teo (R)
LB - Henderson
CB - Cook
CB - Robinson
(slot CB) - Mathieu (R)
S - Smith
S - McDonald (R)

That looks like a hell of a good starting Line up to me!! SKOL VIKINGS SKOL
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: My Guidelines for the Draft, especially the first round.

Post by Pepper2Moss »

I can't imagine the media circus that would follow a team drafting both Teo & Mathieu.
Yurahomer
Waterboy

Post by Yurahomer »

Pepper2Moss wrote:I can't imagine the media circus that would follow a team drafting both Teo & Mathieu.
The media always needs something to talk about ... and it always grows old, blows over, and there onto something else. Tyrann Matheiu is the perfect player to replace Antoine Winfield if he does not resign with us .... however if you are uncomfortable with him still.... maybe you would prefer
Dwayne Gratz, CB connecticut or Logan Ryan CB Rutgers with that pick.. I still think Matheiu is the best fit for the position we would need him to play.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

I like this draft, just not sold on Teo. we'll see. I hope if we do draft Allen, he does end up being everything people say. Matthieu would be really great too. We cannot take Sylvester Williams in the 1st. He wasnt that impressive at all during the season, and was easily shut down. If Xavier fell to us, that would be awesome, or one of the Bama Guards.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Yurahomer wrote:Heres how i hope the front office handles the Draft -

#1 - If Austin, Patterson, and Allen are off the board by the time we draft, we DO NOT take a WR in round 1. I like Hopkins, Hunter, Dobson, and Woods also but they are reaches at our pick. If in this situation the front office can package one of our first round picks and trade back into the early second round and pick up an addition 3rd or 4th ... than great lets do it. If not we go a different position.

#2 - If a guy falls to us that should not be there regardless of position we need to take him. I.E. Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes, Johnathon Cooper, Jarvis Jones, or Bjoern Werner come to mind. Some of these guys might be more Luxuries than pressing needs however you do not pass up elite prospects for lesser prospects of need

#3 - I think Manti Teo is going to be one of our picks if he is available. Some people might not love this pick, however i think it is a great value at when we pick and fills a position of Extreme need at the same time. In the situation of equal valve prospects, our front office needs to consider the depth available at the positon as well. If it comes down to Sylvester Williams and Manti Teo the FO needs to take Teo because the depth at LB is a lot less than at DT

Mock Draft -
#23 - Keenan Allen - WR CAL ---- has legit #1 Potential and only falls to us because of injury plagued offseason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF0N9S_ZDg
#25 - Manti Teo - MLB Notre Dame --- starting linebacker day 1
#52 - John Jenkins - DT Georgia --- Fills the Void that we have had since Big Boy Pat williams left
#82 - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU --- similar player to Antoine Winfield, makes sense especially if we dont resign Winny
#102 - TJ McDonald S USC -- Big Fearsome safety in the middle who will challenge Sanford for the starting spot opposite H. Smith (what a Duo that would be)
#120 - Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas -- Charlie Johnson's eventual replacement .. kid has a lot of upside
#155 - William Gholston DE Michigan St. --- Depth and ST's this year ... not a need so much now, but with Allen, Robson, and Griffen all set to be FA's .. yikes
#189 - Aaron Mellette WR Elon -- WR' with some upsides, could be a solid #5, #4 next year when simpson leaves ... Maybe Practice squad for a YR
#213 - John Lotelelei OLB UNLV -- depth signing, nothing special but good on ST's and was very efficent and a team leader/captian in college
#229 - Knile Davis RB Arkansas -- Loads of potential but very injury prone ... this is a boom/Bust gamble Pick

I would absolutely THRILLED if the draft went down this way

OFFENSE
QB - Ponder
RB - Peterson
WR - Jennings
WR - Allen (R)
Slot - Wright
TE - Rudolph
OT - Kalil
C - Sullivan
OG - Fusco
OT - Loadholt

DEFENSE
DE - Allen
DT - Williams
NT - Jenkins (R)
DE - Robson
LB - Greenway
ILB - Teo (R)
LB - Henderson
CB - Cook
CB - Robinson
(slot CB) - Mathieu (R)
S - Smith
S - McDonald (R)

IMO, outside of Te'o, this would be the best possible mock for us.

On a side note, I was hoping everyone would post their mocks in my thread so there was less congestion. Oh well. :lol:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Yurahomer wrote:#1 - If Austin, Patterson, and Allen are off the board by the time we draft, we DO NOT take a WR in round 1. I like Hopkins, Hunter, Dobson, and Woods also but they are reaches at our pick. If in this situation the front office can package one of our first round picks and trade back into the early second round and pick up an addition 3rd or 4th ... than great lets do it. If not we go a different position.
The Vikings need a young top flight receiver. Badly. Even if they have to reach. They will have guys they like besides those three (and I'm not convinced they especially like either Patterson or Austin) and once pick #25 rolls around it's highly unlikely that they'll want to move back and watch and cross their fingers hoping their guy isn't taken off the board.
None of those guys are likely to fall to #23. But yes, if there's someone high on their board that they don't really expect will be available, grab him. With two first round picks they're in a good position. They can both draft for need and select BPA.
Nice pick, but he probably won't be available that late.
OFFENSE
QB - Ponder
RB - Peterson
WR - Jennings
WR - Allen (R)
Slot - Wright
TE - Rudolph
OT - Kalil
C - Sullivan
OG - Fusco
OT - Loadholt

DEFENSE
DE - Allen
DT - Williams
NT - Jenkins (R)
DE - Robson
LB - Greenway
ILB - Teo (R)
LB - Henderson
CB - Cook
CB - Robinson
(slot CB) - Mathieu (R)
S - Smith
S - McDonald (R)

Five rookie starters this year? Chances are exceedingly slim. They need a lot more help at CB than just a nickle back. Cook is fragile and Robinson has yet to prove he's starting material.