Jamar Taylor.

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainKirov
Starter

Jamar Taylor.

Post by CaptainKirov »

Jamar Taylor, Cornerback, Boise State. 5'11" 192 lbs

NFL Network has been talking about this kid a heck of alot lately. At first i thought he was a mid 2nd but now he sounds like a high 2nd low 1st. And a real possibilty for the vikings.

Instinctive, dependable cornerback with good overall size and athleticism. Versatile corner with extensive experience playing off-man and zone coverage. Possesses a quick, tight back pedal and has fluid hips to turn and run with receivers. Good straight-line speed(Ran a 4.37 40) and possesses good burst out of his breaks. Reliable run defender who doesn't back down from a challenge. Keeps his containment responsibilities, showing the ability to break free from blocks and is a reliable open field tackler who plays with toughness. Named a team captain in 2012 and is viewed by the coaching staff as one of the team's hardest workers.

I really want this kid. He would be an ideal replacement for winfield. Hard hitter, hard worker, great leader and has a nose for the ball.

Only real concern for him is durability. He had a few injuries but seemed to have checked out at the combine. and his numbers speak for themself.

I know its a highlight reel but this tells the story for the kid. I'm a huge BSU fan and this kid has been my favorite defender since Billy Wynn left for the draft last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHLTcEs3bI
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

CaptainKirov
Starter

Re: Jamar Taylor.

Post by CaptainKirov »

mrc44 wrote:I agree, this kid looks good. I wouldn't mind us grabbing wr and lb round 1 and him in the second followed by DT in the third. But it sounds like he won't be there when we pick in the second, and I feel like a first round pick would be reaching
I doubt he makes it past pick 40. Kid is a fringe 1st rounder. Cordarrelle Patterson(Or DeAndre Hopkins) at 23 and Jamar Taylor @ 25 then Jon Bostic in the 2nd and Brandon Williams in the 3rd.

Id be plenty happy with that.

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

How is it that many of these first round prospects don't worm their way out of the woodwork until April? Did this kid not exist in January or February?
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Eli wrote:How is it that many of these first round prospects don't worm their way out of the woodwork until April? Did this kid not exist in January or February?
Was considered by many an early 2nd round corner. But after evaluating his tape and combine numbers, he's climbing into the first round.

5'11"
30 3/4 length arms
192lbs
9 1/8 hand length

4.37 - 40 yard
2.49 - 20
1.53 - 10
22 bench reps
35.00 vertical
10'7" broad
4.06 shuttle
6.82 cone

CBSsports has him ranked as the #4 corner

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Eli wrote:How is it that many of these first round prospects don't worm their way out of the woodwork until April? Did this kid not exist in January or February?

Because guys like Kiper and McShay put mocks out the very second the season ends and one every week after it seems, but it has nothing to do with what the true talent evaluators are seeing or thinking. That starts to leak out once the player pro days are coming to a close.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

It's also because analysts and scouts don't watch Boise State as much as they watch Kansas or Oklahoma. They do, but the scouts they send are often not the guys with the most seniority.

It's not until they jump out at you at the Combine do they really register with the analysts and the scouts "that matter".

There's really a serious lack of science and process when building those draft boards. They use a lot of software tools (and old fashioned pen and paper), but ultimately, it's the same as it's always been...you only have so many scouts, and you scout the big schools the most because those are the ones that turn out the most players in the draft. That's why there's always some small school guy who jumps out right before the draft and rises up quickly.

The guys who played for big schools that rise up quickly before the draft, though, should be questioned a lot more. However, Kevin Williams was kind of one of those guys, so that doesn't always hold true as well...he stood out at the Senior Bowl because he wasn't getting overshadowed by his teammates for once.
Last edited by Rus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rus
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Rus wrote:It's also because analysts and scouts don't watch Boise State as much as they watch Kansas or Oklahoma. They do, but the scouts they send are often not the guys with the most seniority.

It's not until they jump out at you at the Combine do they really register with the analysts and the scouts "that matter".
well said

big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

I think guys that show up like this aren't exactly players we may what. Upside is a terrible and frankly stupid term. I want a player who has played and established dominance. Jamar Taylor could be great, or just another guy who doesnt cut it
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Rus wrote:It's also because analysts and scouts don't watch Boise State as much as they watch Kansas or Oklahoma. They do, but the scouts they send are often not the guys with the most seniority.

But that's exactly what scouting departments and college scouts are paid to do. Boise State may not be Ohio State, but it's not located in Lithuania either. I can understand some 5th round prospect at CB going under the radar until he runs a 4.3 40 at his school's pro day, but I don't understand how a top 50 prospect can be discovered in the same manner. Unless, of course, he's yet another of the 200 or so players who are pegged by one of the assorted talking heads and beat writers to be top 50 picks.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

This is a draft many analysts are saying "The difference in value of the 1st ranked player and the 25th ranked player may not be all that great"

So an early 2nd round guy may be just as valuable as a late 1st round guy