Vikings interested in Robert Woods

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings interested in Robert Woods

Post by dead_poet »

USC's Robert Woods runs a go route up the board after pro day
Although quarterback Matt Barkley was the featured attraction Wednesday at USC’s pro day, receiver Robert Woods is the player quietly rising on several draft boards.

Some of the NFL evaluators who had projected Woods as a second- or third-round pick during last season now see him as a potential pick in the second half of the first round.

Woods had several nice catches Wednesday, including a one-handed grab of a deep pass by Barkley.

“I’m doing the same stuff I did in college,” Woods said. “I guess people are just catching up on me.”

George Stewart, receivers coach for the Minnesota Vikings, spoke to Woods’ parents after the workout and stood nearby while reporters gathered around the receiver for a group interview.

“We’re a character organization from ownership on down,” Stewart said. “I had a chance to visit with [Woods’] mom and dad, and they’re character people. Those are the type of people who will turn an organization, character people. That’s a premium for us.”

The Vikings, who have the 23rd and 25th picks in the first round, left a void in their offense this off-season with their trade of receiver Percy Harvin to Seattle. This is the time of year when teams put up smoke screens and are especially secretive of their intentions, but Minnesota gave every impression Wednesday that it is interested in Woods.

Last year, the Vikings drafted a pair of USC players, tackle Matt Kalil and running back Rhett Ellison, and earlier this month they signed former Trojans quarterback Matt Cassel.

“We’re very interested in guys who can make plays,” Stewart said. “But character first and foremost is what we’re interested in, and [Woods] has that.”
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... 7647.story
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings interested in Robert Woods

Post by dead_poet »

Path to the draft video with Mayock on Robert Woods: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... at-pro-day
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Robert Woods, add this kid to my wish list. great hands and routes:

a nice highlight reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntP81YXPxY
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

this would be a pretty sweet pick. But we could trade back if we wanted to get him. get some more picks, that'd be nice.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Would be ecstatic if the Vikes got Woods. He can do all that Keenan can do but better and he does more at that.

I feel confident Spielman is targeting Woods.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

This is good to hear, Woods is my #1 rated WR as far as guys that will actually succeed in the NFL go. He may be the best route runner in the draft and is agile enough that it's all pretty fluid. If you watch his highlight's video that was posted you'll see what I mean. In one of the plays the defender gets faked so hard he's completely open for a TD haha.