Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Post by dead_poet »

Here's a curveball: Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson. Now, there's not a great chance he's available at our pick (he's going to destroy the combine), but it's certainly possible. The more I've been reading about the guy, the more he seems like a legit stud. I've read he's the best run-blocking tackle to come out in the last decade (which isn't to diminish his pass-blocking potential which, granted, is still a work-in-progress). I wonder if he wouldn't look awfully good lining up next to Kalil at LG. Probably unlikely.

http://hankjonesscouting.wordpress.com/ ... -robinson/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Keep in mind it is February. I am trying to make a few projections with how the board might change over the following months, but even with my attempts, this probably won't resemble anything close to what the draft will be in May. Still, I felt like doing one so have at it.

Mock Draft 1

1st Round

1. Houston Texans - Blake Bortles, QB Central Florida

Call it a gut feeling, but I just feel that Bortles will be a Texan. The rumors out of Houston right now are that they prefer either Bortles or Johnny Manziel, but they worry about Manziel's attitude. Of course, rumors at this point don't account for much, even at the first overall pick. My personal opinion of Bortles is that he's far too inconsistent to really blow me away. However, I do see why he's a scout's dream and is getting the "Mini Luck" nickname. No matter how much Drew Brees or Russell Wilson prove, scouts continue to have the tendency to focus on things such as size, athleticism and arm talent and correlate that to potential. That's what Bortles is, potential. When he was playing his best in college, he dominated defenses with his arm and legs, and his elusiveness in the pocket was exceptional. Despite the fact that he struggled a bit with poor reads, had a knack to underthrow deep balls and was rattled against the blitz, those things are all considered teachable. All things considered, while I personally would not agree with the selection, I would not be surprised with it.

2. St. Louis Rams (via Was)- Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson

Despite trading up to take Tavon Austin in last year's draft, the Rams still need a true #1 WR. Austin is a great playmaker in the kicking game and from the slot WR position, but he does not possess the ability to line up outside consistently. Watkins has huge playmaking ability as well and could add to an already strong return game. But he also brings the size and route running ability to line up outside. To put it simply, Watkins is a much more polished Cordarrelle Patterson. He is the best player available, maybe in this entire draft and also fills one of the Rams biggest needs. Assuming the Rams don't trade out of this spot, this is an easy pick.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Khalil Mack, OLB Buffalo

I'm going to be going outside the common belief on a number of my picks and here's one that should surprise a few people. With Clowney and two QBs still on the board, the Jaguars pick Mack. With direct contact with Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo at the Senior Bowl, there have been rumors that the Jags liked both players. With Caldwell's past in Seattle he may feel he could find a QB outside of the 1st round with one of the two. The Jaguar's linebacker group is horrible and with addition of Mack, they get a guy who fits a key position in Caldwell's defense. Mack has a similar skill set to Von Miller, so while Mack can play the role of Bruce Irvin on passing downs, he also has the run stopping ability and enough coverage skills to be an every down linebacker. Clowney is certainly possible here, but Mack's relies less on his god given ability and more on his motor and use of his hands to get to the QB, something that generally translates better to the pros.

4. Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A&M

The rumors of the Brown's infatuation with Manziel only got stronger with the addition of Kyle Shannahan. I would not be surprised to see the Browns aggressively pursue trading up ahead of Jacksonville to assure they get him, assuming the Texans don't take him 1st overall. With him sliding to their pick at 4, it is an easy selection for the Browns brass.

5. Oakland Raiders - Jadeveon Clowney, DE South Carolina

The Raiders needs are all across the board. Seriously, QB check. Offensive skill players, check. Offensive line, check. Defensive front seven, check. Secondary, check. This team is a mess, it's shocking that they were able to win as many games as they did this year. They opt for simply BPA at this pick, taking the most physically gifted player in this entire draft, despite the concerns of his attitude this season, he was still getting double and even triple teamed regularly. He won't see that attention in the pros, and with strong coaching should be able to dominate at the NFL level.

6. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M

The Falcons have let a once solid offensive line, deteriorate. Sam Baker has never lived up to the hype of being a 1st round pick and it's time the team accepts that and drafts his replacement. Jake Matthews has football in his blood, and has proven to be an exceptional pass protector at Texas A&M.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Trent Murphy, DE/OLB Stanford

Here is a player that is not getting nearly the attention he deserves. He had more sacks in college than Mack, Clowney or Barr. While maybe not an elite athlete like Mack or Clowney, his explosiveness is very apparent on tape. As is his relentlessness. And more than any of the other pass rushers in this draft, Murphy's technique and use of his hands is really well developed. I hate bringing this up, but the constant negative associated with him is his lack of "athleticism", which is something I feel a number of elite prospects, who also happened to be white, faced. Guys like Luke Kuechly, Sean Lee, Harrison Smith and even JJ Watt were similarly associated. However, what these players may lack in elite athleticism, they make up for in technique, motor and intelligence. And they are exceptional athletes as well, just not the physical freaks that players like Clowney are.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Teddy Bridgewater, QB Louisville

Call it wishful thinking, call it impossible, call it whatever you like. I call it a gut feeling. As much praise has been heaped upon Bridgewater, there have been numerous criticisms and rumors of scouts/analysts who believe the hype surrounding Bridgewater is not equal to what NFL teams feel about him. Not only do many believe Bridgewater's size will leave him vulnerable to durability issues throughout his career, but his lack of size and elite traits leave his ceiling lower than that of Blake Bortles. And while Bridewater is consistently good, he doesn't show the "wow" factor that has made Manziel so intriguing. This has lead to doubters viewing Bridgewater as more of a "safe" pick. A solid starter in the NFL with less potential to be elite. The thing that these evaluations lack are his intelligence and dedication to being the best QB. When you evaluate the best QBs in the league (Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees), their size, athleticism and arm talents vary greatly, but the one thing that unites all 4 of them is their intelligence, accuracy and preparation. This is where Teddy Bridgewater sets himself apart from the other QBs in this draft class, and in my opinion he will be the best QB taken in this draft class. However, scouts may not see it the same way, for the same reasons they they did not see it this way for Rodgers, Brees or Russell Wilson in the past (or even Brady, although he showed less signs in college of the player he would be).

9. Buffalo Bills - Anthony Barr, OLB UCLA

Anthony Barr is a mystery to me. On one side, he is a star athlete in shorts, and a productive player on the field. But there are two significant things holding him back for me to feel completely comfortable with drafting him. The first is his rawness, after starting out his college career on offense, Barr has only played 2 years on defense and while he has been productive, he isn't as strong technically as many of the other prospects. Also, he doesn't appear to have elite explosiveness on tape, which is surprising considering his natural ability and production. However, the Bills defense is lacking a pass rushing presence opposite Mario Williams, and Barr's potential is something that should intrigue them enough to take him here.

10. Detroit Lions - Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

Evans is an extremely gifted WR who has a natural ability to attack the ball in the air over defenders, and come away with passes that would lead to incompletions or interceptions with less gifted players. However, he still has a long way to develop his route running ability and while he has great straight line speed, he does not show as much initial acceleration or explosiveness to get open quickly against better corners. Despite his rawness, the talent is extremely apparent, and he reminds me similarly of Alshon Jeffery. Put him on a team with Calvin Johnson, and you could have an extremely threatening duo to contend with.

11. Tennessee Titans - CJ Mosely, LB Alabama

With the hiring of Ray Horton to be their defensive coordinator, a switch to a 3-4 defense is expected. While they have a number of pieces to fit the scheme, they are extremely thin at ILB. This is where Mosely should be most comfortable at the next level, a position he's played in college at an extremely high level. This is a nice fit of both need and BPA at this point.

12. New York Giants - Greg Robinson, OT Auburn

I don't understand where the hype surrounding Robinson has appeared from out of nowhere. Robinson is a nice LT prospect, and is especially impressive in his aggressive run blocking. However he is still a bit raw in pass protection, which is generally the more highly sought after talent, which is why I don't see Robinson making the top 10. Still his potential is there and his nastiness will be coveted by some teams. The Giants offensive line was such a mess this past season, they must address it heavily once again this off season if they want to see Eli Manning return to form.

13. St. Louis Rams - Zach Martin, OL Notre Dame

Numerous people have linked Jake Matthews to the Rams at #2 overall however Jake Long had a strong season for the Rams, resembling his earlier years with Miami. So the team may not be in search of a new LT next season. However Roger Saffold has been far too injury prone over his career for the Rams to bother resigning and their guard situation is bleak. Enter Zach Martin, a versatile lineman who could solidify the RT position or kick inside to either guard spot. Regardless of where they think he fits best, Martin is an extremely solid football player and will help the Rams offensive line in both pass protection and in the running game.

14. Chicago Bears - Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame

The Bears once dominant defense has taken huge steps backwards this past season, and while some of it can be blamed on injuries, the decline of the defensive line has been extremely apparent. Julius Peppers is showing the signs of his age, and youngsters Stephen Paea and Henry Melton have been inconsistent and injury prone respectively. The Bears even the kicked the tires with former Cowboys standout NT Jay Ratliff this past season, with somewhat disappointing results. Expect the Bears to invest heavily in the defense in this draft, and the heart of the dline is a smart place to start.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - RaShede Hageman, DL Minnesota

The Steelers defense continued to show it's age this season, and with 1st round disappointment Ziggy Hood and aging Brett Keisel potentially moving on this off season, the defensive line may be their biggest priority. Hageman has been extremely underrated in this draft class, I find it unbelievable that some still have him as a second round prospect. He is an athletic player who can play multiple positions in the interior of the dline, and can even kick outside to DE in a 4-3 defensive from time to time. In Pittsburgh, Hageman would project to the 5 technique DE position, replacing Hood in the starting line. Hageman brings more explosion from the position then the Steelers have ever had and if Lebeau and the strong defensive staff in Pittsburgh can teach him to use his hands more effectively, Hageman has the potential to be a JJ Watt type force at the position.

*16. Baltimore Ravens - Cyrus Koundijo, OT Alabama

Both starting offensive tackles are set to become free agents this off season. While I believe the Ravens are trying hard to ensure Eugene Monroe returns, and could franchise him, Oher is almost certainly on his way out the door. When healthy, the Raven's offensive guard pair of Marshall Yanda and Kelechi Osemele is one of the best in the league, but they still will need help at RT and C. While Kouandijo might have a tough time in the NFL at LT, I believe his value is appropriate here as a dominating force at RT, which would all but solidify the Ravens offensive line.

*17. Dallas Cowboys - Timmy Jernigan, DT Florida St.

The Cowboys need help on the defensive line badly, where if it weren't for Jason Hatcher, the line would have been a complete disappointment this past season. And to make matters worse, Hatcher is a free agent. As is Anthony Spencer. The Cowboys will likely do all they can to retain Hatcher at the 3-technique position, but they still need to find a starting player to pair with him in the middle of their defense. While Jernigan isn't of mammoth size like Louis Nix III, in fact he's a bit undersized for the position, he has been quite possibly college's most productive and NFL ready nose tackle this season.

18. New York Jets - Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina

The Jets need help in their passing game, period. While many have them projected to take a WR such as Marqise Lee here, their need at TE for a pass catching option might just be greater then their need for WR help, not to mention they are rumored to be likely to pursue one of the top WRs in free agency. Ebron provides a them a dynamic athlete in the middle of the field who can both stretch the field and provide Geno Smith an outlet option if he gets in trouble.

19. Miami Dolphins - David Yankey, OG Stanford

The mess the Dolphins encountered this year on the offensive line was extremely detrimental to an otherwise surprising season in which they came close to making the playoffs. With Jonathan Martin flaming out and what appears to be an unfixable relationship between Incognito and the organization, the Dolphins are need of help at both tackle and guard. However, the tackle board has been pretty much picked thin, while the best pure guard in the draft is still available. While some might think the Dolphins would opt for Taylor Lewan here, Yankey is a better guard prospect than Lewan is as a tackle prospect. Yankey would be an immediate replacement for Incognito at LG.

20. Arizona Cardinals - Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan

After addressing the interior of their line in last year's draft with Jon Cooper, the Cardinals mistakenly continued to believe in Levi Brown until he proved he could no longer be relied upon. While they smartly shipped Brown away to Pittsburgh, it has not left them any more settled at LT. Lewan is not an elite prospect, but he's shown enough in both pass protection and the run game to warrant a pick in the lower half of the first round. Similar to Lions former first round pick Riley Reiff.

21. Green Bay Packers - Ha'sean Clinton-Dix, S Alabama

While this year's draft class of safeties is not as strong as last years, the Packers have neglected the position for so long that this pick is almost necessary. Clinton-Dix stands out above the rest of the safeties in this class in coverage, but he does not appear to have elite skills for the position. However he should provide the Packers a steady middle fielder in coverage, which should open up Morgan Burnett a little bit more to be used in run support. Still, this may be a bit high for Clinton-Dix, had he been in last year's class he probably would have ranked lower than all three safeties who were drafted in the first round.

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma

Whether it be Gilbert or Dennard, I don't think there is a CB who distinguishes themselves as the best of this class, or worth a high first round pick. However, at this point in the draft, there is great value to be had at the position, and the Eagles could use a talent young player to add to their weak secondary. I like Gilbert and Dennard for different reasons, however Gilbert fits the Eagles scheme a bit better with the ability to play strong man coverage as well as experience and the ability to play zone.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida St.

This might be a bit of a surprise, as most have Marqise Lee as their 3rd WR, but I think Lee is just one of many potential WRs at this point in the draft, and it will merely come down to each team's preference. Of the many who's value fits around this late 1st round spot (Lee, Benjamin, Cooks, Matthews, Beckham and Robinson), Benjamin is the most physically gifted WR with the most potential of the bunch to develop into a true #1 WR. While there is a lot of work to do with this kid, he is more naturally gifted with a higher ceiling than guys like Lee and Beckham.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Kony Ealy, DE Missouri

I'm not a particularly big fan of Kony Ealy, or at least not as high as others are. He has a nice first step and was an effective speed rusher at Missouri, but he lacked much else. He was easily pushed around in the running game due to his lack of leverage and he did not possess an abundance of pass rush moves. Nor was he extremely productive in college. However, he is a strong athlete who possesses a number of the physical traits that teams look for in pass rushers, and Ealy will likely get over drafted on his potential alone. He actually fits the bill of a number of past pass rushers the Bengals have drafted in Michael Johnson and Margus Hunt. With Michael Johnson likely leaving via free agency, Carlos Dunlap still unable to reach double digit sacks and Hunt's slow development, the Bengals should be in the mix for another young pass rusher this year, and Ealy has decent perceived value at this point.

25. San Diego Chargers - Darqueze Dennard, CB Michigan St.

A solid value pick here, Dennard has the man coverage skills to be a true cover corner, however he lacks elite athleticism which will drop him down the draft board once teams see him at the combine. Despite his lack of great size or athleticism, Dennard has very good instincts and shows strong technique in man-man coverage and should be a great corner if used properly at the next level. The Charger's need at corner makes this pick extremely easy for them.

26. Cleveland Browns (via Ind) - Odell Beckham Jr, WR LSU

With Johnny Manziel in the fold, the Browns look to add more pieces to for him to work with. However, with Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron taking the top off defenses, the Browns could use a more reliable underneath option, which is where Beckham Jr. makes his living. While not quite as explosive as Tavon Austin, Beckham Jr. is nearly as good at making plays after the catch and can provide help to Cleveland's return game. He also provides a bit more physicality to the slot position than Austin does for St. Louis. Beckham Jr. reminds me a bit of Hines Ward, a player who should be welcomed in the dog pound.

27. New Orleans Saints - Dee Ford, DE/OLB Auburn

Ford helped himself at the Senior Bowl more than any other player. He was a dominant pass rusher in both the practices and game and really helped propel himself into the first round discussion. The Saints had a nice transition to the 3-4 defense last season, but they still lack that true hybrid LB to provide a constant pass rush from the outside. Ford projects to be exactly that guy, as he is not quite big enough to play DE at the next level, but does have the athleticism and pass rush ability to stand up in a 3-4 defense.

28. Carolina Panthers - Marqise Lee, WR USC

The slide of Marqise Lee ends here, in Carolina. Lee's disappointing season in which he went down with an ACL injury this season has dropped him quite a bit, but it's not the only thing holding him back from being the high first round pick many projected him to be. There are a number of questions that Lee will have to answer at the next level. While a solid run after the catch receiver, Lee will have to show scouts that he can run a full route tree for teams to feel confident about him, as he was restricted to mostly screen passes and shorter routes. He has not shown a knack to provide much help in the deep passing game and has had a few issues with drops in his career.

29. New England Patriots - Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh

With Vince Wilfork's future in question in New England and the team lacking a true pass rushing interior lineman since the loss of Richard Seymour, the Patriots take a chance on an extremely explosive and productive player in Donald. However, despite the potential Donald has shown as a disruptive pass rusher from the inside, there are legit questions about his size and arm length holding him back from being a much higher draft pick. He reminds me a bit of Sharrif Floyd from last year, who fell in the draft due to his shorter arms.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon St.

The 49ers took at stab at a deep threat to add to their offense a few years ago by reaching for AJ Jenkins. Jenkins possessed the speed to get over the top, but not much else. Cooks however can be the deep threat they've been looking for, but also provides great after the catch abilities and very reliable hands.

31. Denver Broncos - Calvin Pryor, S Louisville

While Clinton-Dix is the best safety in this class in coverage, Pryor may actually turn out to be the best safety in this class. He's certainly the most physical, similar to Baltimore's Matt Elam. And by that, I don't mean he's a liability in coverage, either. This is an all around solid prospect who brings an aggressive attitude. He may make mistakes in coverage from time to time, but he will make up for it in big plays. Although, you can probably expect him to draw a fine or two once he reaches the NFL. He reminds me a lot of DaShon Goldson from Tampa Bay. The Broncos could really use that type of intimidating presence in their secondary.

32. Seattle Seahawks - Jace Amaro, TE Texas Tech.

The Seahawks add another target for Wilson in the passing game. Amaro isn't quite the prospect that Ebron is, however he does provide a huge and reliable target for Wilson in the center of the field. However Amaro just doesn't provide the down the field threat that Ebron does, which is why he'll likely be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

* - order of picks 16 and 17 will be decided with a coin toss at NFL Scouting Combine
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Here's a curveball: Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson. Now, there's not a great chance he's available at our pick (he's going to destroy the combine), but it's certainly possible. The more I've been reading about the guy, the more he seems like a legit stud. I've read he's the best run-blocking tackle to come out in the last decade (which isn't to diminish his pass-blocking potential which, granted, is still a work-in-progress). I wonder if he wouldn't look awfully good lining up next to Kalil at LG. Probably unlikely.

http://hankjonesscouting.wordpress.com/ ... -robinson/
You know, I was seriously wondering about Greg Robinson the other day when I was doing my mock. I don't see this team taking him, but if we did, I would not complain. The thing is, I am not sure if Robinson can move inside. 6'5 is a tad big for guard, but there are guys who are 6'6 playing guard. Robinson has good technique and leverage, but moving from guard to tackle or from tackle to guard can be a tough transition. Then again, if anyone in this draft could do it, Robinson has the potential to do it.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Here is my new update to my mock draft for this week: http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/5298

Let me know what you guys think!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Here is my new update to my mock draft for this week: http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/5298

Let me know what you guys think!
Nice. Could be pretty close. Though I think if Clowney is gone at #1 that the Rams do whatever they can to trade down. I know predicting trades opens up a huge can of worms, but I just don't see them staying put at 2 if Clowney is gone. Frankly, I think they trade down regardless. Ealy looks a little high and I don't think you have Jernigan going at all in R1. You gotta think the Bears look at him long and hard. Nice work.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote: Nice. Could be pretty close. Though I think if Clowney is gone at #1 that the Rams do whatever they can to trade down. I know predicting trades opens up a huge can of worms, but I just don't see them staying put at 2 if Clowney is gone. Frankly, I think they trade down regardless. Ealy looks a little high and I don't think you have Jernigan going at all in R1. You gotta think the Bears look at him long and hard. Nice work.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate the feedback.

Just a few notes: I too think St. Louis trades down. I honestly don't see them staying at number two. I think you may have missed it, but I have Timmy Jernigan going number 20 to Arizona :). Also, I think Ealy might be a slight reach, but players that can rush the passer are a premium and teams aren't afraid to draft them. Also, other than pass rusher, I am not sure what New York would draft other than defensive tackle.

Anyway, again, thank you for the feedback. I really cannot wait for the offseason to get into full swing.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post combine mock draft time! I decided to user WalterFootball again to save bandwidth.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/6408

Tell me what you guys think!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Post combine mock draft time! I decided to user WalterFootball again to save bandwidth.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/6408

Tell me what you guys think!

The talent at the top of the draft is so high that I'd be shocked if the QBs went back to back to back like that in the top 5. Honestly, I expect at least one of them to make it to 8, and would not be shocked if one of them saw an Aaron Rodgers like fall.

Like the Watkins pick, but there's no way he could make it to us. Tampa Bay taking Barr over Watkins would be an epic failure, as Barr is not fluid enough to play LB in Lovie's Tampa 2 defense, but not stout enough to be an every down DE.

I like a lot of the picks in the mid range of the draft. Dallas I doubt will be looking at a NT though, as they will desperately need a pass rusher, with or without DeMarcus Ware. I think Austin Donald makes more sense there than Nix. In fact I think Donald is too low, I think he starting to make a name for himself as a top 10-15 prospect (although that can be said for a lot of guys).

There's a few guys I don't believe are first round talents though. I think Rashede Hageman is far too raw for a team to risk a first round pick on him. Morgan Moses and Cyrus Kouandijo are also probably not first round talents. Moses has the physical tools, but is raw and seems uninterested on the field, he has no nastiness or passion in his game. And Kouandijo's probably going to fall further than most expect due to his knee injuries, arthritis in a football player's knee is only going to get worse and worse over time.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

saint33 wrote:
The talent at the top of the draft is so high that I'd be shocked if the QBs went back to back to back like that in the top 5. Honestly, I expect at least one of them to make it to 8, and would not be shocked if one of them saw an Aaron Rodgers like fall.

Like the Watkins pick, but there's no way he could make it to us. Tampa Bay taking Barr over Watkins would be an epic failure, as Barr is not fluid enough to play LB in Lovie's Tampa 2 defense, but not stout enough to be an every down DE.

I like a lot of the picks in the mid range of the draft. Dallas I doubt will be looking at a NT though, as they will desperately need a pass rusher, with or without DeMarcus Ware. I think Austin Donald makes more sense there than Nix. In fact I think Donald is too low, I think he starting to make a name for himself as a top 10-15 prospect (although that can be said for a lot of guys).

There's a few guys I don't believe are first round talents though. I think Rashede Hageman is far too raw for a team to risk a first round pick on him. Morgan Moses and Cyrus Kouandijo are also probably not first round talents. Moses has the physical tools, but is raw and seems uninterested on the field, he has no nastiness or passion in his game. And Kouandijo's probably going to fall further than most expect due to his knee injuries, arthritis in a football player's knee is only going to get worse and worse over time.
Thanks for reading saint33 - I appreciate it.

I don't know, but at this point in time, I don't see any QB falling just yet. Of course, the draft process is still early along and the process is always in flux. A lot can change in the next couple of months. Heck, at this time last year, Geno Smith was still being talked about as a top five pick.

As far as Dallas, I am not sure. Jason Hatcher is their three technique and they really don't have a run stuffer on their defense. Then again, maybe Dallas would like to play with two three technique type tackles. Aaron Donald definitely is an intriguing prospect. He kinda reminds me of Dontari Poe, minus the size of course.

Personally, I think Ra'Shede is a first round pick. Not many guys have that sheer size and athleticism. I think teams are a little more willing to gamble a bit with an inconsistent player if they have great measurables. Cyrus Kouandijo will probably fall out of round one, but I think Morgan Moses has a good chance to go in round one. His stock has risen over guys like Antonio Richardson and Cyrus Kouandijo.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

saint33 wrote:

I think you mean Aaron Donald but yeah I agree he looks very promising and certainly helped his stock after the senior bowl. Zimmer likes getting after the QB so it wouldn't be a stretch to see two penetrating DT's next to each other.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Thanks for reading saint33 - I appreciate it.

I don't know, but at this point in time, I don't see any QB falling just yet. Of course, the draft process is still early along and the process is always in flux. A lot can change in the next couple of months. Heck, at this time last year, Geno Smith was still being talked about as a top five pick.

As far as Dallas, I am not sure. Jason Hatcher is their three technique and they really don't have a run stuffer on their defense. Then again, maybe Dallas would like to play with two three technique type tackles. Aaron Donald definitely is an intriguing prospect. He kinda reminds me of Dontari Poe, minus the size of course.

Personally, I think Ra'Shede is a first round pick. Not many guys have that sheer size and athleticism. I think teams are a little more willing to gamble a bit with an inconsistent player if they have great measurables. Cyrus Kouandijo will probably fall out of round one, but I think Morgan Moses has a good chance to go in round one. His stock has risen over guys like Antonio Richardson and Cyrus Kouandijo.
Jason Hatcher is a FA and Dallas is still in the negative as far as cap space, which I why I'd think Donald makes more sense there. They could really go a number of ways though I guess, they have needs all along the DL and if one of the top 2 safeties was there I'd imagine they would have to consider that as well. Donald's higher on my board though than Nix, which is why I think the pick makes more sense
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

I figured I would do a mock draft now that free agency has been on-going for a few days.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/10828

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks everyone.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I figured I would do a mock draft now that free agency has been on-going for a few days.

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks everyone.
Error message on the link
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote: Error message on the link
Ok here is the link again! Hopefully this one works!

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Vikings Mock Draft:

1st Round

8. Teddy Bridgewater, QB Louisville

News of his sub par Pro Day actually makes me feel a bit excited. I don't put much credit in pro day or combine workouts, they are more for coaches/scouts to get a first hand look at a player's technique, footwork, throwing motion, etc. But if the negative reports continue to mount, it can only help our chances that Bridgewater falls. When people discuss Bridgewater's faults, the main thing they point out are his size and level of competition. His size is similar to Aaron Rodgers coming out of college. He has the build to add weight (which he has already done from the end of the season). As for competition level, I don't put much stock into it. Bortles comes from the same division in college and no one seems to point that out. Regardless of competition level, Bridgewater's shown excellent accuracy and ball placement over the past two years. His pocket presence and mobility in and outside of the pocket is exceptional. And above all else, his football intelligence is far beyond his years. Unlike any other QB coming out, Bridgewater makes his own reads at the line of scrimmage and calls his own audibles, and has shown a strong ability to make proper reads presnap and make quick, accurate throws on timing routes. Bridgewater has the ability to "throw his WRs open", something that you don't see often out of QBs in college.

2nd Round

**TRADE**

Minnesota trades their 40th overall pick to New Orleans for the 58th (2nd), 91st (3rd) and 155th (5th) overall picks. (Close value on the Trade Value Chart).

58. Bashaud Breeland, CB Clemson

After trading down in the 2nd round to pick up extra draft picks, the Vikings add a long athletic corner to compete with Derek Cox as the outside corner in their nickel defense. Breeland is a corner who I believe is not getting enough attention. He has good height and length and is very fluid in and out of his breaks. What I love most about Breeland is his attitude. He's an aggressive player, both in coverage and in tackling. He brings the same level of "grit" to the secondary that has made Seattle's defense so stout.

3rd Round

72. Christian Jones, LB Florida St.

Vikings address one of their biggest needs here by adding Christian Jones to their LB corps. Jones is an extremely versatile LB who has lined up at numerous positions over his time with FSU. Jones can come in and compete for a starting role at outside linebacker, either at Sam or Will. Known as a "jack of all trades" type player, Jones has superb athleticism, is natural in coverage and brings some pass rush ability as well.

91. Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor

One time considered a potential first round pick, Cyril Richardson's stock has been falling. He is a big bodied guy who is very strong in pass protection. He has the natural strength to excel in the running game, but coaches need to find a nasty streak in him, as he often doesn't play with the physicality in the run game that will be necessary at the next level. Needs to work on his footwork, especially when required to pull in the run game. Fits the mold of what offensive line coach Jeff Davidson often looks for, and he would come in and immediately compete with Charlie Johnson and Jeff Baca for the starting LG position.

96. Chris Smith, DE/OLB Arkansas

Vikings add another versatile piece to their defense. Smith is an athletic "hybrid" pass rusher. He has experience rushing the passer standing up or with his hand in the dirt. Brings immediate value as a situational pass rusher behind Everson Griffen, and can play a role at OLB if the Vikings choose to utilize a 3-4 package. Depth at DE is necessary, as the Vikings only viable options right now are Griffen and Robison. While not as large, Smith brings similar traits to Everson Griffen and would be an ideal backup.

4th Round

104. Tre Boston, SS North Carolina

Vikings add depth and competition to their safety position here. A traditional "box" safety, Boston is an aggressive player who can lay the wood in the run game or on WRs running over the middle. While he still lacks a bit in coverage, he has the natural athleticism to develop. With Harrison Smith as the traditional "centerfielder" in Zimmers defense, Boston would compete with Jamarca Sanford and Andrew Sendejo for the starting spot as the Vikings box safety. With development, Boston's ceiling is a Kam Chancellor type player.

5th Round

136. Lache Seastrunk, RB Baylor

A backup RB is something Vikings should be looking to add in the mid-late rounds of the draft. Seastrunk is a somewhat smaller back, with a build similar to Doug Martin. He runs low and brings a nice combination of power and speed. Seastrunk is still a work in progress as he is not patient enough behind the line of scrimmage and has little experience in the passing game in Baylor's offense, but his upside is very high. He has break away speed and strong lateral agility to make fast cuts. Reports of character concerns have emerged, but outside of rumors that he accepted money to play at Baylor, I haven't found anything substantial to worry about.

155. DeAndre Coleman, DT Cal

Vikings continue to add big bodies up front, similar to what Zimmer had in Cincinnati. Coleman is an ideal fit at the 1-technique, and would compete immediately with Fred Evans as the backup to Linval Joseph. He's a big bodied kid who excels against the run, however he brings very little in the passing game and he needs to learn to keep his pad level down. Also bring versatility to play either the nose or DE in a 3-4 package.

6th Round

168. Aaron Colvin, CB Oklahoma

This is a typical Rick Spielman, high reward, low risk pick. Colvin has size, athleticism and is a natural cover man. However, he tore his ACL in practice at the Senior Bowl, dropping his draft stock immensely. Was considered a potential 2nd-3rd round corner before his injury, however will likely fall to the late rounds because he likely won't be ready to play until mid-season at the earliest. Spielman takes a late round flier on a talented kid with a serious injury, and Colvin would likely start out his career on the PUP list.

7th Round

200. Will Clarke, DE West Virginia

Vikings continue to add depth to their defensive line, filling out the DE position with Will Clarke from WVU. Clarke is a player with ideal size and length, however he is extremely raw and needs significant coaching to develop into a starting caliber player. Best suited to play LE in a 4-3 defense, Clarke would compete as a backup behind Brian Robison. Clarke struggles with technique, under utilizing his natural talents. He is a high character kid with some leadership experience who would make a very good developmental prospect worth of a late draft selection.