View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 am



Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Senior bowl notes 
Author Message
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23075
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Senior bowl notes
Nice read for those hungry for the draft: http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap ... ustin-pugh

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
An LB to keep an eye on?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... standouts/

Quote:
OLB Ty Powell, Harding

Bramel: A former defensive back who has developed into a stout and versatile 245-pound linebacker, Powell was a late addition after top prospect Arthur Brown pulled out due to an injury. Powell showed glimpses of good technique on Tuesday with further improvement on Wednesday as he shed blocks better and looked more fluid in pass coverage. In a relatively weak linebacker group, Powell may get looks early on Day 3 of the draft.


http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ ... th-123.php

Quote:
Harding OLB Ty Powell is emerging as one of the most fascinating small school prospects in this class. A junior college transfer who played defensive back in 2011, defensive end in 2012 and is now making the transition to outside linebacker, Powell fit in and looked right at home in his new role. An explosive athlete with a terrific burst, Powell could fly up draft boards in the coming months.


http://milehighsports.com/2013/01/22/se ... orth-team/

Quote:
LB TY POWELL, HARDING: Small-school players typically have the most to gain this week, and Powell has shown the most of that sizable group, showing good range and pursuit. At times, he seemed to be everywhere.


It will be interesting to see how he performs on Saturday.


Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm
Posts: 3776
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1501258-final-scouting-notes-from-the-2013-senior-bowl

some people of interest for the Vikings

Quote:
Marquise Goodwin, Texas

Combine the speed of an Olympic sprinter with high-level quickness and hands, and you get Marquise Goodwin. While he's not a finished product at receiver, Goodwin showed enough burst, lateral quickness and catching ability to be viewed as a solid second-round pick.


Quote:
Quinton Patton of Louisiana Tech moves like a first-rounder. I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as the No. 2 wide receiver in this year's class.


Quote:
Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern State University

It's rare that a Division II player would stand out most, but Brandon Williams was unstoppable at times. His 341 pounds move much faster than you'd expect, matching what I saw on film and in person against small-school opponents. Being able to win against top-level-talent


Quote:

Sean Porter, Texas A&M

Porter showed more of the flashes we saw in 2011 when he played more of an outside role in the A&M defense. Porter's quickness and fluid style of play will make him valuable as a potential inside or outside linebacker.


Quote:
Desmond Trufant, Washington

Trufant owned the Senior Bowl's secondary drills, showing off great ability to stick receivers at the line and then turn and run with them. Even when he missed on his jams, he's fast enough to recover and ride the hip pocket. He's a first-round lock.


Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
MrPurplenGold wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1501258-final-scouting-notes-from-the-2013-senior-bowl

some people of interest for the Vikings

Quote:
Marquise Goodwin, Texas

Combine the speed of an Olympic sprinter with high-level quickness and hands, and you get Marquise Goodwin. While he's not a finished product at receiver, Goodwin showed enough burst, lateral quickness and catching ability to be viewed as a solid second-round pick.


Quote:
Quinton Patton of Louisiana Tech moves like a first-rounder. I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as the No. 2 wide receiver in this year's class.


Quote:
Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern State University

It's rare that a Division II player would stand out most, but Brandon Williams was unstoppable at times. His 341 pounds move much faster than you'd expect, matching what I saw on film and in person against small-school opponents. Being able to win against top-level-talent


Quote:

Sean Porter, Texas A&M

Porter showed more of the flashes we saw in 2011 when he played more of an outside role in the A&M defense. Porter's quickness and fluid style of play will make him valuable as a potential inside or outside linebacker.


Quote:
Desmond Trufant, Washington

Trufant owned the Senior Bowl's secondary drills, showing off great ability to stick receivers at the line and then turn and run with them. Even when he missed on his jams, he's fast enough to recover and ride the hip pocket. He's a first-round lock.


Good read.

Brandon Williams is intriguing at DT, especially since he's being projected for the 3rd or 4th rd, which is where I'd like to snag a DT if he's BPA.

I'd like Te'o or Ogletree at 23 or WR if they're both gone.


Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
Intrigued by Brandon Williams, but it always makes me cringe when someone rockets up the rankings like that. Truth is, he's D2. Looks like he has all the measurables, though.

Goodwin's blurb echoes a little too closely to Troy Williamson for me.

Quinton Patton is the one that has my interest. Be interesting to see how his stock holds as we head toward April.

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
BGM wrote:
Intrigued by Brandon Williams, but it always makes me cringe when someone rockets up the rankings like that. Truth is, he's D2. Looks like he has all the measurables, though.

Goodwin's blurb echoes a little too closely to Troy Williamson for me.


I understand that concern! However, I watched him in some of the practices (on NFLN) and in the game and he didn't look like Williamson. He catches the ball more comfortably and naturally than Williamson. He looked good in both the practices and the game.


Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
I recorded the Senior Bowl last weekend and watched it last night, taking note of a few players that stood out to me, particularly at positions of need or interest for the Vikings. Here's who caught my eye:

Purdue DT Kawann Short: I saw Short play a few games at Purdue and I saw a bit of him in practice last week but he really stood out during the game. In fact, I thought he was one of the two most impressive players on the field. Short slimmed down for the Senior Bowl and delivered an energetic performance. At times, he looked unblockable. One of the question marks about him was his motor but dropping some weight seemed to help his energy level and he's still big enough to play DT. I'm not sure where he'll be projected once the combine is over and the draft draws near but this guy should be a legitimate consideration for the Vikes. They need help at DT and he can stop the run, push into the backfield and collapse the pocket.


Brigham Young DE Ezekiel Ansah: Ansah was the other player that impressed me most. He was all over the field, making plays and creating havoc. From what I understand, he's a little raw and DE isn't a big need for the Vikes right now but this guy looked impressive and with some development, he may have a great future in the NFL. He's big and fast, with genuine pass rushing ability. He's also relatively inexperienced but from what I've read, he's a good student and takes coaching well. He might be able to play OLB too. However, I won't be surprised if he ends up higher than #23 on some draft boards and is gone before the Vikes pick. Considering their needs, they'd probably go in another direction anyway.


Texas A&M WR Marquise Goodwin: As I mentioned above, Goodwin looked very natural as a WR. He has impressive deep speed but looked comfortable catching shorter passes and is clearly more than just a deep threat. He had a good game. However, with shorter WRs like Harvin and Wright already on the roster, I'm not sure another 5' 9" WR is really what the Vikes need.


Southeastern Louisiana CB Robert Alford: This guy was impressive! Alford almost took a kickoff the distance and looked good covering receivers all game. He had an excellent pass defensed in the second half and just stood out repeatedly. Rankings are fluid but my understanding is that Alford is projected as a mid-round pick and he might be a nice addition to the Vikes secondary and special teams.


Kentucky G Larry Warford: This guy is huge and powerful. He may be a little too huge so I'm not sure about his athleticism and ability to get out and pull (which is important when blocking for AD) but he buried some defenders in the Senior Bowl. He's definitely worth a look if the Vikes want to draft a guard.


Connecticut OLB Sio Moore: Moore looked fast and instinctive to me. He might need to bulk up a little but he could be a good candidate to play WLB in the Vikes 4-3 defense.


Florida State QB E. J. Manuel: Manuel was the game's MVP and if the Vikings are going to draft a QB as a "Plan B" behind Ponder, his old teammate is probably worthy of consideration as a mid-round pick. That's because he's talented but inconsistent. As they say, this guy has all the tools but he needs to develop consistency and improve his decision-making (which was fine in the Senior Bowl, BTW). He's clearly a player who could benefit from a year or two of further development but the Vikes are in position to do that. I'm not crazy about any of the Qbs in this draft but in the game, Manuel was the only one who stood out to me.


Jim


Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23075
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
Mothman wrote:
I recorded the Senior Bowl last weekend and watched it last night, taking note of a few players that stood out to me, particularly at positions of need or interest for the Vikings. Here's who caught my eye:

Purdue DT Kawann Short: I saw Short play a few games at Purdue and I saw a bit of him in practice last week but he really stood out during the game. In fact, I thought he was one of the two most impressive players on the field. Short slimmed down for the Senior Bowl and delivered an energetic performance. At times, he looked unblockable. One of the question marks about him was his motor but dropping some weight seemed to help his energy level and he's still big enough to play DT. I'm not sure where he'll be projected once the combine is over and the draft draws near but this guy should be a legitimate consideration for the Vikes. They need help at DT and he can stop the run, push into the backfield and collapse the pocket.


Brigham Young DE Ezekiel Ansah: Ansah was the other player that impressed me most. He was all over the field, making plays and creating havoc. From what I understand, he's a little raw and DE isn't a big need for the Vikes right now but this guy looked impressive and with some development, he may have a great future in the NFL. He's big and fast, with genuine pass rushing ability. He's also relatively inexperienced but from what I've read, he's a good student and takes coaching well. He might be able to play OLB too. However, I won't be surprised if he ends up higher than #23 on some draft boards and is gone before the Vikes pick. Considering their needs, they'd probably go in another direction anyway.


Texas A&M WR Marquise Goodwin: As I mentioned above, Goodwin looked very natural as a WR. He has impressive deep speed but looked comfortable catching shorter passes and is clearly more than just a deep threat. He had a good game. However, with shorter WRs like Harvin and Wright already on the roster, I'm not sure another 5' 9" WR is really what the Vikes need.


Southeastern Louisiana CB Robert Alford: This guy was impressive! Alford almost took a kickoff the distance and looked good covering receivers all game. He had an excellent pass defensed in the second half and just stood out repeatedly. Rankings are fluid but my understanding is that Alford is projected as a mid-round pick and he might be a nice addition to the Vikes secondary and special teams.


Kentucky G Larry Warford: This guy is huge and powerful. He may be a little too huge so I'm not sure about his athleticism and ability to get out and pull (which is important when blocking for AD) but he buried some defenders in the Senior Bowl. He's definitely worth a look if the Vikes want to draft a guard.


Connecticut OLB Sio Moore: Moore looked fast and instinctive to me. He might need to bulk up a little but he could be a good candidate to play WLB in the Vikes 4-3 defense.


Florida State QB E. J. Manuel: Manuel was the game's MVP and if the Vikings are going to draft a QB as a "Plan B" behind Ponder, his old teammate is probably worthy of consideration as a mid-round pick. That's because he's talented but inconsistent. As they say, this guy has all the tools but he needs to develop consistency and improve his decision-making (which was fine in the Senior Bowl, BTW). He's clearly a player who could benefit from a year or two of further development but the Vikes are in position to do that. I'm not crazy about any of the Qbs in this draft but in the game, Manuel was the only one who stood out to me.


Jim


Thanks for doing this. I completely missed it and have been too busy to scour the interweb tubes for tidbits on the game as it relates to potential Vikings players. I'm particularly interested in Short, whom seems like a very solid DT. I'm glad to hear he had a good showing, but there are still questions on his motor.

An NFL scout told Brad Briggs that Purdue DT Kawann Short "doesn’t play as hard as you would like, not regularly."

"Now, there in the Senior Bowl, he played his a** off," the scout said. "Why did he play hard? Maybe it goes back to mentality. Are you that guy? You are rolling the dice with this kid but let me tell you, he is talented, real talented." The scout went on to add that Short can play across the defensive line but he needs to harness or heighten his motor. Jan 27 - 8:01 PM
Source: Brad Briggs on Sulia


I wouldn't object to Warford in the second at all (provided he lasts that long), but I admit I don't know much on the guy. I also don't think the Vikings view the guard position as a dire need as many on this board. Just a gut feeling.

I've seen mixed reviews on Ansah. Also just found this FWIW:

Quote:
NFL teams remain split on DL Ziggy Ansah

Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah tweeted NFL execs remain split on BYU DL Ezekiel Ansah after an outstanding performance during the Senior Bowl.
"One guaranteed he's a top 10 pick, another told me he's second-round," Jeremiah wrote. As the saying goes, it only takes one team, and Ansah has the athletic and technical upside to be a top 10 selection. His closing burst, anchor against the run, and strong first contact are excellent, but he fails to disengage and shed when pass rushing too often.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

A knock on Ansah is his inexperience. But it's clear he has potential. I'd doubt we'd pull the trigger on an end though. He's (now) pegged between 14-18, but if he drops it would be an interesting decision. Like corners, you can't have enough talented defensive ends when going against Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford twice/year.

According to SI's Tony Pauline, Alford may be this year's sleeper CB. Possibly top-40 from what I've read recently. Some have said after the senior bowl that he's reached "Prospect Crush" status. Reports on him was that he's very fluid and very, very fast. Curious to see his 40.

I can't see taking Goodwin for the reasons you list.

Manuel is 6'4/215, so I'd think he'd qualify in some eyes. I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger before the 4th.

Again, thanks for posting this!

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
dead_poet wrote:
Thanks for doing this. I completely missed it and have been too busy to scour the interweb tubes for tidbits on the game as it relates to potential Vikings players. I'm particularly interested in Short, whom seems like a very solid DT. I'm glad to hear he had a good showing, but there are still questions on his motor.

An NFL scout told Brad Briggs that Purdue DT Kawann Short "doesn’t play as hard as you would like, not regularly."

"Now, there in the Senior Bowl, he played his a** off," the scout said. "Why did he play hard? Maybe it goes back to mentality. Are you that guy? You are rolling the dice with this kid but let me tell you, he is talented, real talented." The scout went on to add that Short can play across the defensive line but he needs to harness or heighten his motor. Jan 27 - 8:01 PM
Source: Brad Briggs on Sulia


I read this earlier today:

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/BY/ ... -questions

Quote:
How did Short view his own performance?

“My main focus going down there was trying to be a standout guy and be a high motor guy,” Short said. “I felt like I accomplished a lot but there’s always room for improvement. I can’t just go out there and be that high-motor guy all of sudden. It takes time, but I felt pretty good out there last week.”

Short’s statistics were modest, finishing with three tackles, including one for loss. But analysts raved how Short dominated the line of scrimmage and quick bursts off the ball. In preparation for the Senior Bowl, Short lost 12 pounds.

“I felt a lot better,” he said from Orlando, where he’ll continue training. “I felt like I was moving around pretty well. I wasn’t as tired and gassed as I was at Purdue. I felt like that helped me a lot.”


Maybe his motor issues were weight-related?

Quote:
I wouldn't object to Warford in the second at all (provided he lasts that long), but I admit I don't know much on the guy. I also don't think the Vikings view the guard position as a dire need as many on this board. Just a gut feeling.


I have the same gut feeling. If they draft a guard, I doubt it will be in the first 3 rounds, maybe not even in the first 4 or 5. At this point, I'll be pretty surprised if their first two picks don't come from the LB, WR and DT positions. However, perceived value is always a consideration that can change things and free agency could change them as well.

Quote:
I've seen mixed reviews on Ansah. Also just found this FWIW:

Quote:
NFL teams remain split on DL Ziggy Ansah

Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah tweeted NFL execs remain split on BYU DL Ezekiel Ansah after an outstanding performance during the Senior Bowl.
"One guaranteed he's a top 10 pick, another told me he's second-round," Jeremiah wrote. As the saying goes, it only takes one team, and Ansah has the athletic and technical upside to be a top 10 selection. His closing burst, anchor against the run, and strong first contact are excellent, but he fails to disengage and shed when pass rushing too often.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

A knock on Ansah is his inexperience. But it's clear he has potential. I'd doubt we'd pull the trigger on an end though. He's (now) pegged between 14-18, but if he drops it would be an interesting decision. Like corners, you can't have enough talented defensive ends when going against Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford twice/year.


Exactly and with a bunch of DE contracts coming up for renewal, the Vikes might be interested in taking a player like Ansah who they can develop as a backup for a year. Man, picking him in the top 10 would be a real roll of the dice...

Quote:
According to SI's Tony Pauline, Alford may be this year's sleeper CB. Possibly top-40 from what I've read recently. Some have said after the senior bowl that he's reached "Prospect Crush" status. Reports on him was that he's very fluid and very, very fast. Curious to see his 40.


LOL! I'll confess, I'm developing a little man-crush on him after watching him in Senior Bowl practices and the game.

Quote:
Manuel is 6'4/215, so I'd think he'd qualify in some eyes. I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger before the 4th.


Ditto. In fact, I'd be disappointed in the Vikings if they pulled the trigger on him earlier than that.

Quote:
Again, thanks for posting this!


You're welcome! It was fun. :)


Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5528
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
Mothman wrote:
Florida State QB E. J. Manuel: Manuel was the game's MVP and if the Vikings are going to draft a QB as a "Plan B" behind Ponder, his old teammate is probably worthy of consideration as a mid-round pick. That's because he's talented but inconsistent. As they say, this guy has all the tools but he needs to develop consistency and improve his decision-making (which was fine in the Senior Bowl, BTW). He's clearly a player who could benefit from a year or two of further development but the Vikes are in position to do that. I'm not crazy about any of the Qbs in this draft but in the game, Manuel was the only one who stood out to me.


Thanks for the analysis Jim. For the record I like Short as well. I've seen mocks where he comes off the board before #23, and others where he goes in the 2nd, but he passes the eye test for a disruptive DT.

As to Manuel, that's a tough call. I'd love Manuel with the 2nd of the Vikes 4th rounders. Any higher than that, not so much. I think he has potential for sure, but as much as the Vikes need to improve the QB position, it seems like the best way to do it is to find a stable vet in FA who can slot in behind Ponder and guide/push him. If Spielman does that, then given the other needs on the team it seems the Vikes can find better value with the picks ahead of that 2nd 4th rounder than a QB.

Everything is relative, of course, so its possible someone drops earlier that is just too good to pass on, but barring something like that, I hope Spielman resists the urge to use one of the early picks on a QB and instead focuses on other areas. Manuel probably won't make it to the latter half of the 4th, but there the value would be too good to pass up.


Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23075
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Senior bowl notes
fiestavike wrote:
QBs, I'd like to see the vikings trade for Kellen Moore. It will never happen because he is in Detroit but the little guy can play. He'd be a great longterm backup.


Based on what? Actually, I'd like to see this, if not just to watch Demi's head explode. He's under 6' with a weak arm. :twisted:

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.