WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: WRs to watch

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: It's a very cool nickname. :)
Well, it is until you realize the origin is because he apparently preferred only one brand of pacifier (Nuk) when he was a baby. That kinda takes some of the "cool" out of it. :o
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Well, it is until you realize the origin is because he apparently preferred only one brand of pacifier (Nuk) when he was a baby. That kinda takes some of the "cool" out of it. :o
:rofl:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I get that you don't like his game and there's nothing wrong with that but it seems like you're just being dismissive for the sake of it. With rare exceptions, I could do what you just did with any set of plays and any receiver in almost any game. It's easy to find a defensive failure to go with every offensive success and to minimize every accomplishment. Sitting down in zones, getting open on slants, exploiting mistakes in coverage, getting a step on defenders, executing a play as it's designed... this is how receivers gain yardage and score TDs.

It looks like that, sure, and I'm sure you could do the same as well...But again...Nothing in that video suggests he's a must have over anyone else in this draft. And whether others can see it or not, it looks to me like he will not have that same success in the NFL. I knew this would be a response, but I honestly ask what in that video makes anyone want this guy in the first round? That's the whole point and not me nitpicking just because I don't want the guy.

There is definitely a difference between the plays Robert Woods made than that of Allen from those two videos alone and living in Pac 12 territory, it doesn't change anything that I already thought previous to watching. This is the challenge the scouts have. Is what they see transferable to the NFL level? I say, no and he gets handled by NFL CB's.

I'll let it be. If Keenan goes to Minnesota, I sure hope I'm wrong. That's no lie.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I have to add that I hate coming off like that, Mothman. I guess I just really have a bad feeling about him and when my opinions start to align with what I see then it's a big snowball that is hard to breakdown. So, I apologize for that, but I still stand by my analysis.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:[It looks like that, sure, and I'm sure you could do the same as well...But again...Nothing in that video suggests he's a must have over anyone else in this draft. And whether others can see it or not, it looks to me like he will not have that same success in the NFL. I knew this would be a response, but I honestly ask what in that video makes anyone want this guy in the first round? That's the whole point and not me nitpicking just because I don't want the guy.
There's certainly nothing in that particular video that screams "first round" to me so I see your point.
There is definitely a difference between the plays Robert Woods made than that of Allen from those two videos alone and living in Pac 12 territory, it doesn't change anything that I already thought previous to watching. This is the challenge the scouts have. Is what they see transferable to the NFL level? I say, no and he gets handled by NFL CB's.

I'll let it be. If Keenan goes to Minnesota, I sure hope I'm wrong. That's no lie.
I believe you!

If you haven't seen it, check out this video of his performance against oregon in 2011. I think it's much more impressive than that performance against UCLA. It's worth watching the entire video but I particularly like the catch he makes around the 2:20 mark.

This video of his 2011 performance against USc contains some impressive plays too. Check out the catch and run around the 55 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snr1EMtxYKw

i don't know if those videos will make you feel any better about him or not but I figured I'd share them. in case somebody here hasn't seen them.

I absolutely understand why people aren't sold on Allen but to my admittedly untrained eye, he has skills that should translate well to the NFL. He locates and catches the ball nicely, he's an aggressive runner after the catch, he seems pretty fearless and he plants, cuts and finds gaps in zone coverage well. The latter, in particular, could help him at the next level.

He just looks like a good football player to me but I've been very, very wrong in my pre-draft analysis of players in the past.
PacificNorseWest wrote:I have to add that I hate coming off like that, Mothman. I guess I just really have a bad feeling about him and when my opinions start to align with what I see then it's a big snowball that is hard to breakdown. So, I apologize for that, but I still stand by my analysis.
No problem and no need to apologize. We all call 'em like we see 'em and we're just having fun and talking football here. None of us are experts so your opinion is as valid as mine. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:Great response, and thanks for the links. He is definitely very talented and if they choose him I do think he can make an impact if Jennings can teach him a little old spice swag
:rofl:

Thanks.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

i just dont see any of these receivers as 1st rounders besides Austin. every receiver has their doubts and some scarier than others. I'd rather them pick up d in our first picks. and use the 2nd rounder on a WR like Dobson, hunter, woods,patton. there are no Fitzgeralds or Megatrons so lets not make them worth the same
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

big deli Vike wrote:i just dont see any of these receivers as 1st rounders besides Austin. every receiver has their doubts and some scarier than others. I'd rather them pick up d in our first picks. and use the 2nd rounder on a WR like Dobson, hunter, woods,patton. there are no Fitzgeralds or Megatrons so lets not make them worth the same

Well I don't think we'll be trading up to the top 3 spots, so I don't think we have to worry about valuing anyone in Fitz or Megatron's worth.

Are you saying that none of these guys are of Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas value? If so, ok.

Let me just say that every prospect at 23 is going to come with some baggage. If not, they would go in the top 5.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Player

Old Tennessee coach Derek Dooley told NFL.com's Gil Brandt that WR Cordarrelle Patterson "can be a head coach's delight."

Dooley's background is as a receivers coach and he now oversees the Cowboys' wideouts. His comment suggests Patterson isn't the headcase detractors have suggested he'll be at the next level. Patterson needs to learn to run routes with more explosion and confidence, but he may be the most talented offensive skill player in the draft. Brandt ranks Patterson as his No. 8 overall prospect.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I absolutely understand why people aren't sold on Allen but to my admittedly untrained eye, he has skills that should translate well to the NFL. He locates and catches the ball nicely, he's an aggressive runner after the catch, he seems pretty fearless and he plants, cuts and finds gaps in zone coverage well. The latter, in particular, could help him at the next level.
As you know, I'm not convinced. Things like not getting separation, getting caught in a jam, letting down during key moments, and not having speed are factors too. Everything that Allen didn't do well in college will be apparent in his pro game and probably worse. The highlight videos show his highlights. But I've gotten to see some of his lowlights.

Speaking of the highlight reels, they aren't answering an important question: why should the Vikings pick Allen over the other top WRs in this year's class? I just don't agree that Allen stands above everyone else.

Maybe if the Vikings pick Allen and then another WR later on, that will be okay. Allen can definitely do a few things but there are things he can't do, and those gaps will still need to be filled.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: As you know, I'm not convinced. Things like not getting separation, getting caught in a jam, letting down during key moments, and not having speed are factors too.

They are but frankly, it looks to me like he got separation most of the time and I obviously didn't see him in every game but he seems to get off jams pretty well. I don't understand how he could have caught as many passes as he did without getting separation.
I'm not advocating picking Allen over all the other top WRs in this class or saying he stands above everyone else. I'm just saying I like his game. He looks like a good football player to me, with a skill set that can translate to the pros.
No argument here...
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:

They are but frankly, it looks to me like he got separation most of the time and I obviously didn't see him in every game but he seems to get off jams pretty well. I don't understand how he could have caught as many passes as he did without getting separation.
What, maybe I was dreaming when I watched him play for Cal?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Jim. For whatever reason, I'm just not getting what Keenan Allen brings to the game that some of the other WRs don't do just as well and in some cases a lot better. Maybe I'm just missing it but the highlight reels aren't cutting it for me or making me believe I was wrong about Allen before any of this draft business ever began.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Player

Brandt ranks Patterson as his No. 8 overall prospect.
Source: NFL.com
LOL, sadly 8th best prospect does not equal 8th best player.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

What is everyone's thoughts on Justin Hunter? His highlight video looks pretty good and his production was pretty decent. He did tear his ACL in 2011 so maybe the injury concerns are there? To me though this guy seems like a total steal in the 2nd round. He's the best WR on his team and yet rated much lower than "that other guy."

Patterson 46 receptions, 778 yards, 5 TD's

Hunter 73 receptions, 1083, 9 TD's.

Seriously though on Patterson... one year with 778 yards and people are drooling over this guy! He was the 88th most productive college WR...

I wonder if he's being forgotten about with all the Patterson hype. The drops are big concern though.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

An interesting statistical analysis on the importance of speed to a wide receiver:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599 ... dash-times

Regarding 40 time vs. Pro Football Reference Approximate Value for WR's
That "r-squared" figure laid over the scatter plot is what statisticians call the "coefficient of determination." It's used to show how strong of a predictor one factor is for another, or to test a hypothesis, and ranges from one (perfect correlation) to zero (no correlation).

In this case, the r-squared is zero point so-many-zeroes-Excel-needed-letters-to-count-them.
I had always known that 40 times were a bit suspect as career predictors, but to have essentially no correlation to success (as long as the athlete was productive enough to be invited to the combine) was a bit of a surprise.