WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: WRs to watch

Post by Mothman »

Schefeter wrote: "Allen had suspiciously high levels of water in his system." That could be an indication he was trying to flush his system and dilute a urine sample to mask drug use but it's obviously inconclusive.

I wonder how this info leaked since that stuff is supposed to remain confidential.

For his sake, I hope Allen hasn't been using drugs.

Jim
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MelanieMFunk wrote: I beat you. :thumbsup:
8)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote:Schefeter wrote: "Allen had suspiciously high levels of water in his system." That could be an indication he was trying to flush his system and dilute a urine sample to mask drug use but it's obviously inconclusive.

I wonder how this info leaked since that stuff is supposed to remain confidential.

For his sake, I hope Allen hasn't been using drugs.

Jim
Yeah. I hope so too. I can't quite figure out--with such bright futures ahead in the NFL--why some of these guys are willing to throw it away so easily--or at least make it harder on themselves. Some people just don't appreciate what they have. It's sad.

Next:

Hopkins it is. :)

Ahh. That was painless. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Yeah. I hope so too. I can't quite figure out--with such bright futures ahead in the NFL--why some of these guys are willing to throw it away so easily--or at least make it harder on themselves. Some people just don't appreciate what they have. It's sad.

Next:

Hopkins it is. :)
Hopkins may top the Vikes list already anyway. :)

On it's own, I don't see this story as a reason to write Allen off if the Vikings are interested in him. Unless he failed the more recent drug test, all that happened here is that he was flagged and asked to take another test.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm still adamant that smoking weed isn't a reason to completely write-off a prospect, but when you add this red flag or add it as another red flag to his resume, if you will, and if the Vikings are trying to decide between Allen and a few other receivers with all else being equal, they probably drop Allen off the board because of this as a deciding factor.

That was a long sentence so I hope it made sense.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I'm still adamant that smoking weed isn't a reason to completely write-off a prospect, but when you add this red flag or add it as another red flag to his resume, if you will, and if the Vikings are trying to decide between Allen and a few other receivers with all else being equal, they probably drop Allen off the board because of this as a deciding factor.
I doubt it. We're not even talking about a positive test and IF Allen was trying to mask a drug by consuming a substantial amount of water, we have no idea if that drug was marijuana or something else.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: Too bad the always under-researched Bucky doesn't follow pro days. If he did, he would have seen Hopkins click off a 4.41/40.

Anyway, the stopwatch times can be tossed out the window with Hopkins. He's a long-strider with great sustained speed, which is why he gets open on deep routes.
Very true, but given long-striding is his strength, to clock 4.41 in the 40 (as much of a gimmick as it is anyway) still seems impressive to me.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: I doubt it. We're not even talking about a positive test and IF Allen was trying to mask a drug by consuming a substantial amount of water, we have no idea if that drug was marijuana or something else.
That was the first thing that ran through my head, that it wouldn't be something like pot but maybe steroids? Guy's injury maybe causes him to be weaker in certain areas, unable to work out, see's his draft stock falling like a rock, wants to recover faster and show teams he's okay / back to form. No idea if water flushes that out or not. These guys are under a lot of pressure with a lot of money at stake so who knows.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mrc44 wrote:
The other reason for a lot of water in the system can be due to taking something. Some PED's actually add water retention to the muscles/more water weight. So ultimately, he could have taken a type of PED to help recover faster from his injury, but the side effect of the PED is increased water retention.
Most Antibolic steroids either cause a gain in water or a decrease in water, based on the type of antibolic's used to create the product. That's the best I can explain it, It has been a while since my PED days, due to my back. I have used different Testosterone boosters when working out. If it was a dry gain, I would look lean and ripped. If it was a wet gainer, I would look bubbely, but I gained more weight than the dry gainer, due to the water retention.
Ah I see, so the PED's themselves cause the water retention, gotcha.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@ChrisWesseling: NFL Films analyst @GregCosell on Justin Hunter: "The most physically talented WR on the board ... WILL impact games." http://t.co/x3Z4EiRT4T
Worth a click on the link.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: Worth a click on the link.
Ive wanted Hunter for a while after looking the WRs over. Mainly, because I think he will be around later, because of the drops. But hes one thing we havent had in a while. A fast, tall target, that has alot of skill. Hopefully he can limit those drops if we get him. Cause we wont be going WR in Rd 1.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Ive wanted Hunter for a while after looking the WRs over. Mainly, because I think he will be around later, because of the drops. But hes one thing we havent had in a while. A fast, tall target, that has alot of skill. Hopefully he can limit those drops if we get him. Cause we wont be going WR in Rd 1.
He's certainly an interesting prospect.

Some fun highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFykvxt0Cg8

Whoever does this video editing is pretty talented. A lot of Vikings potentials here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheVikingsw ... eos?view=0
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Ive wanted Hunter for a while after looking the WRs over. Mainly, because I think he will be around later, because of the drops. But hes one thing we havent had in a while. A fast, tall target, that has alot of skill. Hopefully he can limit those drops if we get him. Cause we wont be going WR in Rd 1.
I like Hunter a lot and would love to see the Vikings draft him for the reasons you mentioned.

You know, I just don't remember a lot of drops by Hunter when I watched him play last year, yet I know they happened. It's weird because the drops I saw were usually on easy plays or passes that were thrown inaccurately. But when it came to critical moments of the game, Hunter seemed to come up with the catches and some of them were amazing grabs.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

If there is any WR that should remind us of Troy Williamson its Justin Hunter. I like the kid but he has alot of things working against him. He has notable drop problems mainly. What separates him from williamson is the fact that he had good production in college and he made a name for himself outside the combine.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:
Ive wanted Hunter for a while after looking the WRs over. Mainly, because I think he will be around later, because of the drops. But hes one thing we havent had in a while. A fast, tall target, that has alot of skill. Hopefully he can limit those drops if we get him. Cause we wont be going WR in Rd 1.
He's certainly an interesting prospect.

Some fun highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFykvxt0Cg8

Whoever does this video editing is pretty talented. A lot of Vikings potentials here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheVikingsw ... eos?view=0[/quote]

Wow. Nice vids. Thanks for the post.

If I remember right, about a year ago folks were drooling about the WR class for the 2013 draft and Hunter and Allen were the two names that were thrown around as the next huge WR prospects worth waiting for. It seems that both disappointed a bit, or simply didn't live up to that excessive hype. Am I remember this right? Hunter looks solid. I'd love him in the 2nd.