WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: WRs to watch

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Mayock thinks he will be there at 51.

Now we're hearing 14? We are officially in full on GMs manipulating the media mode. The Rams also have #22. Perhaps they are looking at Hopkins there.
That's my thinking (Rams at 22).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

So, y'all are suggesting the Rams are taking Austin and Hopkins?! :steamed:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dude has some pretty fantastic hands. Interesting stuff.

Sport Science: DeAndre Hopkins

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... re-hopkins
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote:Dude has some pretty fantastic hands. Interesting stuff.

That was pretty! If we don't move up for someone else, I hope this guy falls to us and we take him. Pleeeeaaaasseee! :govikes:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Dude has some pretty fantastic hands. Interesting stuff.

Definitely big hands and lots of talent. I'm thinking he might be the most complete WR of the class.

No doubt about it. I'd love to see him become a Viking.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MelanieMFunk wrote:So, y'all are suggesting the Rams are taking Austin and Hopkins?! :steamed:
I don't really know the Rams' situation well enough to know, but I doubt they're thinking two WRs. My guess is there's a little cat and mouse going on between the Vikings and Rams.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Texas Vike wrote: I don't really know the Rams' situation well enough to know, but I doubt they're thinking two WRs. My guess is there's a little cat and mouse going on between the Vikings and Rams.
Well, everything I've seen/heard is they are probably targeting Austin. Now people are thinking Hopkins? I doubt they'd take two, too. That is just plain greed! lol.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: Definitely big hands and lots of talent. I'm thinking he might be the most complete WR of the class.

No doubt about it. I'd love to see him become a Viking.
For sure, the only downside to the dude is because he's so polished we don't know how much "upside" he has LOL. There are a lot of players I'd be happy with us taking, but none more so than Hopkins!

I thought it was really cool that the science backs up his hands, less than 1% of the force even gets to his palms because he's such a good hands catcher, huge hands, the guy is a steal to me at #23 but who knows.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:Glad to see everyone agreeing now that Hopkins is amazing, just imagine how he would do after receiving some wisdom from GJ. I like how poised Hopkins is, it means a lot for a position that is usually filled with divas.
You are going to be crushed if the Vikes don't select Hopkins, aren't you? ;)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Actually, Clemson has purple alternates so he actually has worn purple before. :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:If he is there an they select hunter or Allen, yes I will e crushed. Only because They went we but not Hopkins. If they select an entirely different position, then I will understand. It would suck to see him go to another team and do really good and know that we could've grabbed him.

But yes, I did something I should not have, that is getting attached to a player that has not even worn purple to this day, and very well may never wear purple.
LOL! I can tell. I'm worried about you. ;)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote:
I am pretty nervous about the report of Hopkins working out for the Rams twice. I wonder if that is the true reason we heard the late report of the Vikings trading up? maybe Spielman saw that the Rams were interested in Hopkins and spread a rumor that they were going to trade up, which could cause the Rams to go ahead and grab Austin at the earlier pick or reaching for Hopkins early.

Who knows, but this is getting out of control!!

Add me to Jim's "I'm worried for you" list. :lol:

I'd love Hopkins, but I'd put the odds at around 5% that we get him. He's been projected everywhere from top 15 to 52 or later. This is going to be a fun draft!
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

mrc44 wrote:I was really hoping he would not receive notice late like this, not that teams make any decisions basd on media hype, but media hype is definitely based on decisions or actions of teams.

I ctually feel kind of good about Hopkins, because in a way he reminds me of Harrison smith. Smith was not talked about all that much and he was what I would consider a "safe" pick. You knew he could play but no one was expecting his ceiling to be much higher, or for him to become an elite playmaker. Hopkins is the same way, being considered a "safe" pick with a ceiling that is believed to be maxed out (which I completely disagree). Hopkins had not really received any hype until a week or so ago. He is still believed by Mayock to be available when we pick in the second (#52).

I will be bummed if we grab one of the other receivers over Hopkins, unless he is gone. I don't think there is a single player worth moving up for in this draft, so I don't think it is a good idea to move up even for Hopkins or Austin. There are honestly players in the 4th round that could fight for a starting position on this roster. No need to give up one of those picks
He's drawing comparrison to Reggie Wayne, who was also taken where his value is. Not the biggest or fastest but he makes up for it with soft hands and great route running ability and he plays bigger than his measurements.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Very interesting stat.
ICYMI: Since 1991, NFL teams have used 171 first- and second-round picks on WR. Only 31 caught 50+ passes as rookies.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Full post (worth the depressing read): http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... best042213
The numbers are even lower in the second round, where 88 receivers have been taken since '91. Only 10 of those receivers (11.4%) caught at least 50 passes as rookies and 21 more (23.9%) caught at least 32.

In other words, more than half the receivers selected in the first two rounds of the past 22 drafts (92 of 171, 53.8%) finished with 31 catches or fewer in Year 1 -- providing little to no immediate impact.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Very interesting stat.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Full post (worth the depressing read): http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... best042213
I'm not sure exactly how to look at some of the info in that article. I can't help wondering how many of those receivers were afforded the opportunity to be full time starters in their first season, a factor that would have an impact on production. Of course, there's also the question of how many deserved or were ready to be full-time starters. Pelissero points out that even Calvin Johnson came up short of 50 catches in his rookie season but johnson started 10 of 16 games that year. Something tells me that if he had started all 16, he might have caught the additional passes necessary to top 50. ;)

Anyway, there IS a learning curve at the position and expectations for any rookie should be tempered. I think this article serves as a cautionary take about drafting a player like Patterson and expecting to get a lot out of him as a receiver in his first season or two. I suspect he'd make some big plays but would struggle and disappear at times simply because of the steep learning curve he'd face. All the more reason to use him asa returner if he's drafted. I think he could have an immediate impact in that capacity.